JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: My 80's style CanJoeCon BACKSTOP & CHACAL NOIR  (Read 7834 times)

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
Re: My 80's style CanJoeCon BACKSTOP & CHACAL NOIR
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 02:01:34 AM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
Quote from: "Jay"
*points to personal user title*

What do you mean by that? I don't get it.
It points out just how absent-minded I am. :p
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 12:00:47 PM »

I really have to do one of those Chakal's in ARAH. That looks fantastic. I wonder if I have the parts...

Both customs are stellar.

I like how the long underwear sleeve looks poking out of the sleeves. Did you add texture to them?

- R
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:03:30 PM by Raptor »
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 12:57:06 PM »

Quote from: "Raptor"
I really have to do one of those Chakal's in ARAH. That looks fantastic. I wonder if I have the parts...

Both customs are stellar.

I like how the long underwear sleeve looks poking out of the sleeves. Did you add texture to them?

- R

Ah, my biggest fan...Thanks, for the compliments.

For the sleeves, I bought some of those white stickers at the dollarstore, and I cut a strip that I simply rolled around each wrist. I then painted over them, and it was done. I even thought of painting the neck collar grey because his undershirt seems to show now there too. No other texture was used other than the Tamiya flat paint I used.

As for the head of Chacal Noir, I originally planned it to be Dragonsky's head from the VvV comic book 3-pk, but I was not happy in the end with it because his cheeks were too puffy so he doesn't look as serious as the original Chacal. The Salvo head solved that problem at least.

By the way, I have an idea to erase the "U.S." letters on the beltbuckle but I don't know if the Leafs fans are going to like it  :( . HINT: Backstop is from Montreal...

I thought also of adding the canadian flag which I guess would be the equivalent of having "U.S." on it originally. Let me know what you all think.

-LJ22
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:07:51 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22

silentdusty

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 05:33:00 AM »

Both figs look fantastic, besides, Backstop is working for a US unit, so I guess some of his kit may end up with US on it :wink:
Silent Dusty

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2009, 08:50:11 PM »

Well, I tried something to fix the belt buckle. I was going to do a lot of putty sculpting on his belt to emulate the utility pouches but decided not to for now.

As for Baldy, he hasn't been updated since.

As for the guy in the middle, yes it's him  :wink:. I didn't get any Joes for Christmas, and there wasn't really anything in stores that I wanted, so what better way to spoil yourself then by making the Joes you want to get  :wink:. He's yet to be finished still, starting with the Cobra sticker: I'm waiting for the enamel paint on his chestplate to cure first before applying it.

2 + 2 = 22

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 09:13:56 PM »

Oh God, this is so on my to-do list.. hehe! Thanks for the idea!!

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 10:34:40 PM »

Wish I had that skill!
Wow.  Just wow.  I actually like your Chacal better.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »

Well done again!
Lurking

night force cynic

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »

man, the RAH stuff just doesn't do it for me anymore, the toys just look old to me, antiquities... 

But every once in awhile a classic style Joe figure comes along that knocks me on my ass because it seems totally fresh, and it makes me wish I WAS still into the vintage stuff because it's so totally great.   And you've managed TWO of those here!!   Latinjoe, I'm SUPER impressed by 1] the faithful translation of the new style to old style and 2] your serendipity to reverse-engineer Chacal Noir and Backstop v2 into RAH classicness in the first place.

truly amazing!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 01:21:14 PM »

Quote from: "night force cynic"
man, the RAH stuff just doesn't do it for me anymore, the toys just look old to me, antiquities... 

But every once in awhile a classic style Joe figure comes along that knocks me on my ass because it seems totally fresh, and it makes me wish I WAS still into the vintage stuff because it's so totally great.   And you've managed TWO of those here!!   Latinjoe, I'm SUPER impressed by 1] the faithful translation of the new style to old style and 2] your serendipity to reverse-engineer Chacal Noir and Backstop v2 into RAH classicness in the first place.

truly amazing!

Man, now you're inspiring me to say something great.

Thanks for your very and more than generous comments. My customs, like everybody else's customs, are out here to prove an old Adage: "If I can do it, so can you"...and probably better too  :wink:. These were meant to be "What if" in the first place, meaning I tried placing myself back in time and imagine that these were actually offered for the first time 20-30 years ago along with the 1982-1994 wave of figures, what they could've possibly looked like. It wasn't all that straightforward and took a lot of mental purging to do sometimes abstraction of the new figures in most cases when came the time to select definitive accessories or parts. But I still didn't reach the end result as these figures look more like artistic customs rather the actual toy representations of the past. I guess that I have to develop my skills more and learn new tricks from the PRO's out there. One can never know enough.

I hope to do more customs in the near future as this is not really a regular base hobby (nor a job). I just did these out of pure fun, without a lot of customizing experience in my portfolio( I did about 5 projects before doing these ). I'm now doing a joint venture of PAST and PRESENT with NeoDragonKnight as we highly regard the folks here at Joecanuck who are responsible for creating a great universe that we consider to be a true form of Joe expression from the heart and soul.
2 + 2 = 22

night force cynic

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 02:46:34 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"

Man, now you're inspiring me to say something great.
nahhh, the praise is deserved!

These were meant to be "What if" in the first place, meaning I tried placing myself back in time and imagine that these were actually offered for the first time 20-30 years ago along with the 1982-1994 wave of figures, what they could've possibly looked like.
Well, Backstop was released in 1987 and look at the color scheme he ended up with.  Yuck!  I like to think that Hasbro could have repainted him in normal, TACTICAL colors if they'd cared to later (no, I'm not counting Static Line because he was a new character with the same digs, and while his colors were more subtle, they weren't much better).  And Chacal Noir might have looked like that if he'd been released in 1983-1986 or 1990/1991 (SAW Viper was the lone awful exception)... but within any of those other intervening years he would have either been ridiculously designed (see all but one Cobra [WORMS] from 1987 and half of 1988) or his colors would have been neon enough to ruin a good sculpt (see Heat Viper v1 & v2 and most every figure 1992-1994).   ;D

But I still didn't reach the end result as these figures look more like artistic customs rather the actual toy representations of the past.
They're customs, man, it's not a bad thing if they look like personal creations instead of mass produced toys!    Personally I think these guys were tremendous successes. 

I hope to do more customs in the near future as this is not really a regular base hobby (nor a job). I just did these out of pure fun, without a lot of customizing experience in my portfolio
You just proved here that a ton of experience isn’t a requirement to create something really awesome. 

I do customs for the sake of just creating something.   Yeah it’s for fun/relaxations and usually to show how things look in my Joeverse, but it’s a creative release above all else for me when I make my customs.   I’m pondering making a new style figure of Snowbank at some point in the near future, just because I can.