JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Con Sets On E-Bay  (Read 56340 times)

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
  • phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Con Sets On E-Bay
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2010, 02:49:15 PM »

Quote from: "MIA COLLECTABLES"

So what I think would be a great idea would be to add a little 3 easy question on each forms with 3 different forms for a total of 9 different question. Questions that any GI Joe collector knows, Example: What was the biggest set Hasbro ever made for the GI Joe line? answer: USS Flagg ! If a grand mother knows those type of question ... well she deserve her set lol !

Dude, most of that family wasn't even speaking english or french in line, I don't know if they would have been able to answer the question what was 2+2 in either Canadian tongue. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Editor

• View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2010, 03:15:18 PM »

Honestly, what it comes down to is that if people truly want to circumvent the system that it will happen.

While I can't say that I'm happy that this happened, I'm personally guilty of supporting a Japanese-based eBay retailer that that pays friends and co-workers to travel with him to special events in order to get limited edition items.

This stuff happens and while Mike and the others can try their best to try and block this stuff it will happen.

The only process I can think of to attempt full control of this issue would be this.
1) Figure out the total set pieces.
2) Open submission thru the website for those interested.
3) Sort submissions and disqualify any you feel are an issue.
4) Send confirmations to those accepted.
5) Confirmed members pay in advance, payments must be by Credit Card or paypal with confirmed addresses. Failure to confirm and/or duplications of CC/accounts disqualify all sets connected.
6) Sets then can be picked up at con, or sent to the confirmed address after con (the convention reserves the right to charge a s/h fee)

Any addition sets at the end can be sold at con.

Yes the sets should be a reward for attending, and under this it would be more a reward for being members in good standing of the community, It would also be a lot more work, but it would allow a much higher level of control.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia

K.B.

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »

But at the same time I saw at least two people who brought their significant others with who were trying to get a set without an ID and were stammering about trying to act like they had no ID.

But some people actually DON'T have I.D. for example, me.

While I wasn't getting a con set (and had no plans to) I brought my passport (my only form of I.D.) with me. At first Mike was kinda weary of letting me in (even after complimenting my hair in the photo  ;D) because my passport didn't have my address on it. I did mention that I wasn't interested in getting a set (not sure if he heard me or not) but he did a super nice guy thing and let me in anyways but for a minute or two I honestly thought I wasn't getting in.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »

Quote from: "K.B."
But at the same time I saw at least two people who brought their significant others with who were trying to get a set without an ID and were stammering about trying to act like they had no ID.

But some people actually DON'T have I.D. for example, me.

While I wasn't getting a con set (and had no plans to) I brought my passport (my only form of I.D.) with me. At first Mike was kinda weary of letting me in (even after complimenting my hair in the photo  ;D) because my passport didn't have my address on it. I did mention that I wasn't interested in getting a set (not sure if he heard me or not) but he did a super nice guy thing and let me in anyways but for a minute or two I honestly thought I wasn't getting in.

When you said you didn't want one - that was when I let you in.
Here's the thing, you don't need ID to enter the Convention. It was just to TRY and ensure that these sets found their way into the most people possible.

Passports, while I know they're accepted at the boarder - aren't accepted anymore at the Convention.
YOU have to manually fill out your address - thus, you can enter anything you want.

Right now, I don't care about this. We'll address it next year and figure something out. What's done is done, and there's nothing anyone can do about it now..

Pimpdaddysatan

• phpBB Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »

I know I'm guilty of wanting a set of these highly awesome Canadian Exclusives, and have had to pay a small fortune to get them.  All things being equal, it would probably cost about the same to travel up to the con, and stay over the weekend, but things back here at home are a little more complicated than that.  I hope things will be different next year, it would be cool to meet everyone and be apart of the gang.  That said, I think a smaller set with a bigger production number would still be cool. I honestly think that would be the best way.  Maybe a production run of 250.   One small vehicle and 2 figures.   Something of that nature.   If there was ever a way I could pitch in and help with the creative process and making figs, I certainly would(i'm serious).   Anyways, sounds like it was an awesome time, and just like last year awesome set.  

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »

i found 4 on ebay right now, their my be more, but the numbers are #60,71, 15, 16, one guy started his auction at 699.99 usd another is buy it now of $600, another is at $280, $311, ($112.50, just found this 5th auction but no set number. 
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »

Quote from: "MIA COLLECTABLES"
Hi everyone  :)

I think I found a way to stop the entire famaly tree to get a set for one person !!!

I say keep the sets limited to 100, that makes collecting more fun, hard to get pieces are more appreciated ! The Blue Snake ... only 50 ...wow...  what a great idea , even if I dindnt have the chance to get one. Now I will have to look for it to buy one or trade for one, that what is collecting is all about. Not just click on a dot and then its yours, no... you have to work for it some times !!!

So what I think would be a great idea would be to add a little 3 easy question on each forms with 3 different forms for a total of 9 different question. Questions that any GI Joe collector knows, Example: What was the biggest set Hasbro ever made for the GI Joe line? answer: USS Flagg ! If a grand mother knows those type of question ... well she deserve her set lol !

I think it would stop people who do not have a clue about GI Joe do line for the money only!

I couldn't disagree more. I had four kids with me who are just getting into the hobby. (they got started when the Rise of Cobra movie came out) How cool would it have been for each of them to have their own special convention souvenir? Especially since two of them were in town from California for a visit!

Collector-elitism is an ugly thing.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:04:44 AM by Jon S. »

master_stanley

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2010, 06:55:01 PM »

Here's my take on it. The smaller sets and much larger numbers would be better. That lowers the price for the attendees and then that will insure that many more people get one. Plus kids should be able to afford one not just collectors and scalpers. Also having a more affordable set would help the dealer room most of us did poorly because people said they where broke from the set and the later batch that came in said the atm broke so many of us had to sell things below cost to move stuff. Anyone who went to my tables knows my stuff was cheap to start with so by the end of the day I was losing money on many items I sold. I had a great time but from a business stand point after attendees have paid $125.00 for the con set, another $25.00 for the snake and then $15.00 to get in and travel costs, it does not leave much for the dealer room.  I myself spent for myself over $100.00 in the dealer room. I myself did not buy a con set but understand why some dealers did and now sell them for profit. I myself can't be bothered with doing that and have not bought a set yet. I want one but $125.00 is a lot. I would have bought the snake but was not willing to stand in line to hope to get one. So remember the joecon is fun and the exclusives are awesome but support the dealer room as well it helps pay for the over all show and quests. The con set & entrance fee will not cover the cost of the the show, the dealer room helps alot. I will be there again next year but won't bring as much stuff. Over I loved it as a collector and it was great. 

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2010, 06:58:29 PM »

Great work again Mike (and crew).

As others have said, there will always be people trying to circumvent the system no matter what.  Much like technology, all you can do is keep trying to come up with ways to hinder the trouble makers.

As for the line, I do have a suggestion.  I know you guys bust your humps for this event and I don't want you thinking I am criticizing/bashing.  

That said I really think you need to put someone on the line right away.  I know, I know, you guys have a ton to do, but it seems clear that someone assoicated with the con should be monitoring the line from the beginning.  Whether that is Midnight, or 1am.  They can hand out numbers/wristbands and take information on the people in line.  They can answer questions and make sure everyone in line understands what is required and expected.  They can enforce the "be in line" policy and stop people from cutting.  Then near the opening hour, double check everyone's number and placement in line.  Honestly, from my previous experience with managing events the single most effective solution to line ups is an informed/authorized representative who can problem solve.  Leaving a line to it's own devices for too long usually leads to trouble.  Of course nothing is bulletproof and there is usually some unforseen problem that arises.

Personally I love the sets that include a vehicle.  I'm not keen on figure only sets.  I would be fine with a single figure/vehicle set if it drops the price and you can get more sets made.  However there is no number big enough to keep scalpers away that is reasonable.  It becomes a question of how much work you want to put into the set versus the "value" (intrinsic or otherwise).

master_stanley

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2010, 07:18:09 PM »

Quote from: "canprime"
Great work again Mike (and crew).

As others have said, there will always be people trying to circumvent the system no matter what.  Much like technology, all you can do is keep trying to come up with ways to hinder the trouble makers.

As for the line, I do have a suggestion.  I know you guys bust your humps for this event and I don't want you thinking I am criticizing/bashing.  

That said I really think you need to put someone on the line right away.  I know, I know, you guys have a ton to do, but it seems clear that someone assoicated with the con should be monitoring the line from the beginning.  Whether that is Midnight, or 1am.  They can hand out numbers/wristbands and take information on the people in line.  They can answer questions and make sure everyone in line understands what is required and expected.  They can enforce the "be in line" policy and stop people from cutting.  Then near the opening hour, double check everyone's number and placement in line.  Honestly, from my previous experience with managing events the single most effective solution to line ups is an informed/authorized representative who can problem solve.  Leaving a line to it's own devices for too long usually leads to trouble.  Of course nothing is bulletproof and there is usually some unforseen problem that arises.

Personally I love the sets that include a vehicle.  I'm not keen on figure only sets.  I would be fine with a single figure/vehicle set if it drops the price and you can get more sets made.  However there is no number big enough to keep scalpers away that is reasonable.  It becomes a question of how much work you want to put into the set versus the "value" (intrinsic or otherwise).

No Joe Con staff should have to watch the line early like 1 am because people don't listen .

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »

Quote from: "master_stanley"

No Joe Con staff should have to watch the line early like 1 am because people don't listen .

Which is why I'm volunteering to take pictures of the line for next year if there's a need for the early bird.  They have enough on their plates to worry about. 

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »

I think people are mistaking the issue with the 100 set and 50 set.  If the line was just for the 100 set, there would have been no problem.  But because the SNAKE was only limited to 50, people started getting pissy about the line.  Everyone who lined up early pretty much got the 100 set both this year and last if I am not mistaken, and there were even a few sets to spare once the doors actually opened.  The abolishment of the 50 set would probably be the way to go.  The fundamental question about the actual con exclusive is that should it be more accessible to everyone who attends or just the hardcore who line up early?
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18