JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Ebay problem  (Read 3848 times)

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
Ebay problem
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »

I recently tried to purchase a couple Joe items from ebay from two different US sellers and one of the things I consider before buying is the cheapest shipping rate.  On both of these occasions the listed rate was reasonable for shipping and handling but when I received my invoice the sellers shipping charges were twice the posted rate.
I contacted them about this and got the same answer in a nut shell that International shipping is more than domestic(which I already know) and ebays shipping calculator is incorrect.
I also reminded them that it states on any listing the seller assumes all responsibility for that particular  listing.

So who's at fault?  Should they honor what the listing states and take up the difference and discrepancy with ebay or should I either cancel my purchase, file a dispute or just succumb to the new shipping rate?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay problem
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:46:03 PM »

Quote from: "Realboss"
I recently tried to purchase a couple Joe items from ebay from two different US sellers and one of the things I consider before buying is the cheapest shipping rate.  On both of these occasions the listed rate was reasonable for shipping and handling but when I received my invoice the sellers shipping charges were twice the posted rate.
I contacted them about this and got the same answer in a nut shell that International shipping is more than domestic(which I already know) and ebays shipping calculator is incorrect.
I also reminded them that it states on any listing the seller assumes all responsibility for that particular  listing.

So who's at fault?  Should they honor what the listing states and take up the difference and discrepancy with ebay or should I either cancel my purchase, file a dispute or just succumb to the new shipping rate?

I remember reading somewhere in the new ebay rules that overcharging for shipping goes against ebay's policy. But are they really overcharging you? Does it include tracking and insurance?
2 + 2 = 22

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »

I do not bid until after they respond about my query about S&H rates.  It has never failed and gives you a bit of an upper hand in "negotiating" sometimes.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 10:38:56 PM »

Shipping costs are always painful >:(  ebay or online, I'm with pdaat on asking before you bid, that way you know if you really want it. 
Lurking

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »

If the auction posted an international rate, then you should not have to pay more than that. If it costs more, the seller should just have to bite the bullet and pay for it. If the auction doesn;t have a posted rate, then you're probably on the hook for it. At least until you receive the item and then if the shipping is significantly less than what you paid you could open a dispute. That's my 2 cents.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 11:45:22 PM »

Yup, Darth Cujo is pretty much right.  If they listed the international rate and then ask for more then they are in the wrong.  But then if they only listed the US and no international rate, then you probably will have to pay.  Most sellers tend to inflate their shipping anyways unfortunately. 
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 01:17:39 AM »

...and people wonder why I make the shipping a separate charge.  :wink:

When I list my auctions, I'm always clear that the price quoted for shipping is an ESTIMATE and that the actual shipping price may be more, or less than the amount quoted. I also state the reason - because the ebay shipping rate feature is usually wrong when quoting amounts, and that this way neither the buyer, or myself overpays for shipping.

In this case, if the seller stated that international is more - then it's up to you to find out "how much" more to your address.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 07:54:35 AM »

Something I didn't know... in the US, USPS is coming to your home, with a box to ship within the US (48 states). But when a US seller is sending a package internationally, he has to go to post office, bring his own box, complete the customs paper... (like we always do  ::)). Some sellers feel they need to charge more for that extra time and effort.

That's why I try to avoid eBay as much as I can. The best deals I got so far were using boards like JoeCanuck or others. Quality and communication were better, acquisition cost and shipping were lower...

Martin

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:07:22 AM »

Quote from: "martin-montreal"
Something I didn't know... in the US, USPS is coming to your home, with a box to ship within the US (48 states). But when a US seller is sending a package internationally, he has to go to post office, bring his own box, complete the customs paper... (like we always do  ::)). Some sellers feel they need to charge more for that extra time and effort.
Martin
That's why many sellers wont sell outside the US.
Say no to AFA.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 03:20:14 PM »

are you telling me a mail man goes to someone's house, with a box for them to pack something and then takes the parcel away after they pack and pay?

seriously?!

that's mad! you wanna post something over here, you buy your own damn box/envelope and pack it, then take it to the post office and send it!

and there are people over here who feel the need to charge for that time and even theri petrol to drive to the PO!

one guy on BFTB was saying about a douche who charged over the odds for postage (INSIDE ENGLAND, NO LESS!!) and he charged 29p for sellotape! you can buy an entire fucking ROLL for that!!
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »

Thanks for your input guys.  The one seller cancelled my order at my request.  But the other seller is being a douche bag.  He posted the rate on the listing and never stipulated International shipping is more or to contact him for a quote.  He no says ebay was the misquote and I must have known that because I requested an invoice.  I only requested an invoice asking him to recheck his listing when the first invoice arrived and was more than the quoted shipping.  He sent a second invoice and the shipping was even more than the first.  "He stated it is only $5 more than domestic shipping and is a deal.  Clearly you knew the posted rate was wrong".  He called me a confused, unreasonable individual.

I will be opening a dispute even though I don't want his @#$% anymore.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »

I think I've only purchased anything from ebay twice and that was many years ago. I usually only buy local so I don't have the ridiculous shipping charges which is ok since I don't have alot of money to spend anyways. If I do have to have a certain something I just pay the cost.