JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Canada Customs = anal  (Read 13809 times)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« on: June 12, 2005, 04:05:20 PM »

How many guys here actually knew that Americans were required to have the receiver's name and address in capital letters?  I didn't.  I got an email from an American earlier in the week stating that he got a letter from Canada Post.  In brief, the letter stated the package he sent to me from NJ could be returned back because my name and addy wasn't in capital letters.  WTF.  It's bad enough the government wastes my tax money but to actually reach this level is pathetic.  Who gives a rats ass if my name and addy is in capitals or not. This is 100% anal. When I am in Ottawa next year, I know where there money pit office is as I do an annual building inspection there. They better have an explanation on why they are wasting taxpayers money on something this dumb.  

After some research...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 20, 2004
News Release No. 04-069
www.usps.com

Marking it 'Not Admitted':
CANADIAN OFFICIALS STRICTLY ENFORCE CUSTOMS, ADDRESSING REQUIREMENTS FOR INBOUND INTERNATIONAL MAIL

WASHINGTON, DC -- The U.S. Postal Service is alerting customers mailing items to Canada they must comply with strict Canadian Customs and postal administration addressing requirements.

All postal items (except postcards) that do not display the complete name and address of both the sender and the recipient -- in roman letters (A, B, C) and Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3) -- are being denied entry into Canada. Sender or recipient identification such as "Grandma" or "Aunt Ruth" are not acceptable and are among the causes of mail being returned.

According to Canadian officials, this action is pursuant to the Canada Customs Act and reflects heightened security measures.

Accordingly, addresses to recipients in Canada should be printed in ink or typewritten in capital letters, and the last line of the address must show only the country name, written in full, and in capital letters. When a Canadian postal delivery zone number is included in the address, mailing requirements allow that number to appear as the last line of the address.

Customers also are reminded that complete and legible customs declarations -- along with required import documentation -- must be provided to specifically identify the contents of any package. General descriptions such as "gift" or "present" are not acceptable.

Canadian Customs offices report a backlog of incoming postal items containing incomplete or inaccurate information. According to Canadian officials, these items eventually will be returned to their points of origin for correction by the sender as soon as practical.

http://www.usps.com/communications/news ... 04_069.htm

The idiots get the chicken of year award  :chicken:  :chicken:  :chicken:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 06:47:12 PM »

My friend Ryan got a package back because he didn't write my full first name on it.  :shock:
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 11:51:13 PM »

Are they charging or the return...if so I would go to small claims court and get some money out of them...if they accept it then it gets sent. The first line of defense is the postal clerk at the desk that takes your money...if they take the package that is it. I would raise a stink about this if it ever happens to me?and I would win as that is not right?you accept it that means you send it?!

One up on this I was told that all packages going to the U.S. must now be in brown paper...if they are not they can not be sent...???

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 07:01:12 AM »

those ass! Its so stupid! Its not as if they couldnt read the name on the parcel right? Our money is going to waste (our taxes not the amount we spend on toys).
Say no to AFA.

Collectorman

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 12:14:20 PM »

That is complete BS. I've recently gotten a few smaller sized parcels from the States (included one I didn't think was going to make it across the border  :shifty: ), but I honestly don't remember if they had the address in capitals.

"According to Canadian officials, this action is pursuant to the Canada Customs Act and reflects heightened security measures."

Not to be offensive to anyone who loves this country (aside from our ass government), but wouldn't 'heightened security measures' have more to do with Immigration Canada and not Customs Canada? I'm pretty sure terrorists can't mail themselves across the border in a box of Heroclix...
UCK!

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 04:52:33 PM »

Try cross boarder shopping - I have spent many hours sitting in a detention room waiting for them to search my car to conclude that yes all I did was go to Walden Galleria Mall and a US TRU.

Customs are this countries first line of defense and they appear to care more about taxing me on my $40 worth of Toys.  I just wish they would look for real criminals as opposed to shoppers.

BludChylde

• View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 10:58:52 AM »

This part of the release is not making sense to me:
Accordingly, addresses to recipients in Canada should be printed in ink or typewritten in capital letters, and the last line of the address must show only the country name, written in full, and in capital letters. When a Canadian postal delivery zone number is included in the address, mailing requirements allow that number to appear as the last line of the address.

Does this mean when people in the US send us something the mailing address looks like this:

Person's Name
Street Address/Apt or house #
City/Province
Postal Code
Country

or

Person's name
City/Province
Country
Postal Code

The whole capital letter bit makes sense, but considering I have never seen a Canadian mailing address that didn't have a postal code, I don't understand the postal delivery zone bit (which would be the postal code)

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 02:39:58 PM »

Did anyone noticed if the service is slower during the summer days?
Say no to AFA.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 09:20:30 PM »

Quote from: ""BludChylde""

Does this mean when people in the US send us something the mailing address looks like this:

Person's Name
City/Province
Postal Code
Country

or

Person's name
City/Province
Country
Postal Code

The whole capital letter bit makes sense, but considering I have never seen a Canadian mailing address that didn't have a postal code, I don't understand the postal delivery zone bit (which would be the postal code)

Your right, it doesn't make sence.  Postal code after the address?

Mat, my theory on mail being slow in summer.....Newman and the rest of his postal pals take more days of for holidays in the summer.  I assume Canada Post sits on the mail until close to the end of the week.  i have been noticing packages arriving mostly on Monday or Friday for me.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

BludChylde

• View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 09:29:58 PM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""
Quote from: ""BludChylde""

Person's Name
City/Province
Postal Code
Country

or

Person's name
City/Province
Country
Postal Code

Your right, it doesn't make sence.  Postal code after the address?

Mat, my theory on mail being slow in summer.....Newman and the rest of his postal pals take more days of for holidays in the summer.  I assume Canada Post sits on the mail until close to the end of the week.  i have been noticing packages arriving mostly on Monday or Friday for me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it makes no sense. I've been thinking about it and still can't figure it out.

As for you slow summer mail delivery theory, I believe you are probably correct. My brother used to work for Canada Post and most employees do take their holidays during the summer. We live in a small town and during the time he worked for them he had to fill in at Canada Post offices in 3 other nearby towns/villages for employees on vacation.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 12:57:06 PM »

thanks Pete ,you're right, parcels do tend to arrive either monday or friday.
Say no to AFA.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Canada Customs = anal
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 01:18:52 PM »

Great. I was just told by Angie at MC that my con figures (box set/loose set) we mailed out on July 12th and they forgot to mention on the paper work that it is a "gift" and didn't decalre lowest possible value. So I'm thinking I'm going to get hit for like another $100.00 or something stupid in customs. Gah!
If I don't make it next year I'm not sure if I'll be ordering the homefront hero set again. It all depends on the final total. That and it will probably take another 1 1/2 weeks to get here.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.