JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Post Canadian Joe Con appreciation thread!  (Read 27727 times)

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Post Canadian Joe Con appreciation thread!
« on: August 07, 2010, 05:27:53 PM »

I have to say after being at both 2009 and 2010 cons that this Years con was a thousand times better then last years, it just "felt" different to me.  I had so much more fun and memories.  Chatting with folks in line, sharing thoughts and stories, meeting new people.  Meeting Larry Hama in person and having him sketch me a Lady Jaye, and then listening to his great Q and A.  The funny thing is he would go on these tangents but they were so interesting that you just followed along regardless, hes filled with thoughts and opinions and very willing to share them which made the session amazing.  Mark's session was different, but it was fun, Mark is such a fantastic public speaker you are entertained no matter what.  The vendors were really good this year, lots of cheap deals (some not but thats to be expected), and a far greater selection then last year, I walked the floor several times and found new stuff each time especially in the cheap bins.  The venue was also miles better then last years (no offense to Hamilton), the atmosphere was just far more "bright" and clean I guess the right word is.  I hope this year's con will continue with this kind of atmosphere and excitement in next years con and beyond.  I was honestly constantly smiling and had a giggly feeling and having a fantastic time and felt like a kid in a candy store.  Thanks for the best Con I have been to JoeCanuck staff, vendors, guests, and fellow boardies and attendees.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 05:33:59 PM by NeoDragonKnight »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Post Canadian Joe Con appreciation thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »

I was in line at 4 am, and I was lucky enough to get my set and the SNAKE.

What I did different this year is that I'm sleeping at the hotel. So I was able to stay at the con all day for the presentations, Q&A, etc. I really appreciated the sense of humour of Zach Hoffman. That guy was very funny!!! Also, all other guests were very available for autographs... which I got a lot!!!  ;D

I also found most of the things I was looking for (vintage or newer stuff). So congrats to dealer for having great prices and a lot of variety. Note to all dealers, next year bring with you a swivel version of Stalker  :'(

Congrats to Mike and his team for the planning, work, update, etc.

I had plenty of fun with me Montreal crew who joins me in my car so we split gaz cost... and more  :shifty: at 10h am   :'(

Also, I can now put a face on username. It was nice meeting people from last year...and people I had never met yet.

Can't wait for next year con... in Montreal  :shifty:

Martin
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Gerjurdking

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 08:29:49 PM »

I attended my first convention of any kind today with my father and younger brother and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I purchased a ton of gifts for my brother mostly consisting of 25th anniversary and a few exclusive RoC things and several vintage items for myself. We were also fortunate to have won a door prize (Pursuit of Cobra Steel Marauder Mech suit). All in all, I had a really good time and hope next year's convention will be close to Toronto as well. The venue was great, the vendors were great (well, most of them - I went back to this one table several times, a gentleman and his wife who were just great), and the special guests were fantastic as well.

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »

Thanks to all who came out today and made the 2010 Canadian G.I.Joe Convention another resounding success. If it weren't for you attending, we'd have no con to run, so thanks to YOU for making all the effort worthwhile!
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

K.B.

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:45:38 PM »

I'd have to agree with a lot of what NeoDragon said in his first post, this was by far the best one yet!

The Zach Hoffman Q and A was one of the most entertaining times I've ever had with an actor and I really, really hope you guys put it up on youtube for all Joe fans to see.

My only complaint at all would have to be...no pepperets  :'( what happened?

Did I get everything I wanted? No, but then again I don't think any of us truly do  ;D
I did get a ton of stuff and spent much much more than I was expecting but thats they way it goes. You always find something (or 10) that you weren't expecting lol.

My only advice for future Joecons would be for more guests (comic writers/artists, voice actors and others involved with the shows).....my wish is for Don Johnson  ;D

Can't wait for next year, keep up the great work!!!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 10:10:57 PM »

I agree with everyone that posted so far.  This was my first CON and I'm already can't wait for next years!  My favourite part was finally putting a face to posters here.  I did not meet everyone that I wanted too but that will have to wait until next year!
Lurking

garling23

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • "If your not in it, your out of it" -Joey Ramone
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/chrismeadows
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:54:19 PM »

Today WAS Awesome!

This was my first time to a joe con.  My 3 year old son and I attended and had a blast.  Meeting Zach Hoffman was a pleasant surprise as he was really down to earth and alround great guy.  Larry was great too.  Got him to sign my "Unmasked" Gi Joe comic and "The NAM" Issue #1.  I think my son and I did about 5 laps around the track in the dealer room.  Found new stuff to buy and see each time.  Great deals by some great dealers for sure.  I met a chatted with a few people there (Didn't get any names) and really enjoyed talking to everyone we met. 

After we got home we dumped out all our bags of stuff and played together for hours!  ...its still set up for tomrrow!

A huge thanx to all those involved with setting up & running the Joe Con, it was very well organized, and alot of fun.   
Great Traders:

Pete the Greek
BHT
JIN

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:05:55 PM »

Anyone got good pics as well that they are willing to post?
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Metro

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:15:44 PM »

Every year it amazes me to see how far the 'Con grows and attracts more and more people.  It's come so far from a handful of guys in '04 (my first year) to now.  I've got nothing but respect & props for Mike, Stealth, and the rest of the team that put this together every year.

As always, walking in the dealer room can't help but make you feel like a kid in a candy store with the wall to wall joes.  Its always nice to see familiar faces behind the tables too.  I certainly was able to snag a few deals to fill some holes ;)

Both Zack and Larry for me were enthralling and it really was very cool to here stories from both the cartoon and comic side of things.  Meeting Zack afterwards was a real pleasure too. I can't say much more other than he's a real top shelf guy and easily one of the most down to earth celebrities I've had the opportunity to meet.

Honestly I can't think of much else to say right now other than I had an absolute blast.

Once again, cheers to all those involved :timbits:

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 11:32:27 PM »

Amazing!!!!!  The best one yet. By far.
First off thanks to Larry Hama - I must have talked to him for at least 20 min over the last two days. What a great guy.  Interesting stories to share.
Thanks also to the friends I made - Mike/Blitzkreig, Florida Ryan, Roshan
Thanks to dodge for getting me through the long wait
Thanks to greast deals from Pierre / Jouets, gsmiley, latinjoe, martin-montreal, nova and pdaat
Thanks to old freinds like Hal and Jason
Thanks to Mike for spearheading it again. Well done. Your efforts are appreciated by all.

Cheers to anyone forgotten!
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 04:27:29 AM »

Another good edition of the convention goes by. It had almost everything except for two small complaints. I guest couldn't make it but I guess it will be for another year. There wasn't much lighting at the beginning of the convention....but that was solved in the next hour or so. Also sorry to those who couldnt spot me because I was dressed up as TUnnel Rat. Didnt feel too well to undergo the task at first due for reasons of not feeling too well. But I ultimately did an effort and got into the spirit of the convention.

Liked where the event was held but I have to question attendance. I never got the impression there was a lot of people at the convention, not more than last years' convention. Did anyone had the same feeling as me or comment further on this?

Also my first impression upon getting the convention set was that the convention set was missing its strong masterpiece. I was wrong. I find thast the items of the set are meant to be just important as one another. The real centerpiece and jem of this set to my eyes is the comic book. Didn't finish reading it but It got me captivated from the beginning. Aside of that the exclusive SNAKE armor is my favorite convention item. Small but extremely prized in my joecanuck collection as was already a fan of it in the ARAH line.

At last, couldn't possibly meet everyone and missed meeting Bandanov but that just proves that there is always a lot of things to do at the convention and not enough time to do them all. Meeting Zach Hoffman will be cherished in my souvenirs. I had him do an impersonation of Zartan. It sure was funny as hell to hear him say my name in his famous voice.
2 + 2 = 22

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 04:30:59 AM »

Finally, we stayed overnight at the hotel and it's 4h30am I have a headache and I'm finishing typing this from the hotel's internet booth. THANKS SO MUCH GUYS FOR ANOTHER SUPER CONVENTION SPENT IN YOUR COMPANY!!!!! (and thanks to the tall not so skinny guy, with glasses, for the generous slices of pizza and cheezy bread sticks, you're awesome as always Paul)
2 + 2 = 22