JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Anyone following the 2010 FIFA World Cup?  (Read 3860 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Anyone following the 2010 FIFA World Cup?
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »

This year is an amazing one for some soccer countries and a disastrous one for others so far in the FIFA World Cup. Some new historical records were set. Such as Japan and Paraguay advancing far for the first time in the history of the tournement. And South Africa getting eliminated in the prequalification round but showing some great determination during all their games, and even winning their last game. I don't really favor anyone in particular but if there's teams that I think have potential to win this year, I believe Germany and Spain are some among them. And of course the LJ will cheer for the Southamerican teams too  ;D.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
2 + 2 = 22

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone following the 2010 FIFA World Cup?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »

In the Office Pool I have Argentina winning it all!
Lurking

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »

Rooting for Nederlands, but don't like the fact they face Brazil next round.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:08:21 AM by pdaat »
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »

don't talk to me about the World Cup...

*mutters darkly about drawing first two games and then losing 4-1 to Germany and a blatant goal being disallowed*
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 06:03:21 PM »

England was robbed of that goal... but really, they did not play well at all.  They should have won that group and faced off against Ghana instead of Germany.  They really need Beckham to play, as Gerard and Lampard are too busy being Captian England instead of playing as a team.   Sorry for venting but I was not happy at all with England's performance.
Lurking

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 02:30:20 AM »

half the frigging team was being played out of position and Capello refuses to use any formation other than 4-4-2 when no one else uses it any more for the World Cup...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 06:33:07 AM »

Rooting for Netherlands as always . Though I'm 100% canadian, both my parents were both born there (although they moved to canada at a young age)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:56:40 AM »

B  & Pdaat, your prayers have been answered ;D.
2 + 2 = 22

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 01:50:45 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
And most people's office pools are now in the toilet! Go Argentina...
Lurking

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 04:48:47 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
Quote from: "latinjoe22"
And most people's office pools are now in the toilet! Go Argentina...

...go and be completely destroyed by Germany. Ouch!! If Holland can overcome the loss of Nigel DeJong next game we should make it to the finals. Not worried about potential loss of Van Persie, he's gotta be rusty sitting for most of the year for Arsenal, Huntelaar is a fine replacement. I can hardly wait for the Spain/Germany match!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »

See what happens when you ignore your Europian background for some fancy foot work from South America, Your Office Pool goes completely in the toilet! Germany vs Netherlands in the final for sure now as Spain will never bet Germany now.
Lurking

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
See what happens when you ignore your Europian background for some fancy foot work from South America, Your Office Pool goes completely in the toilet! Germany vs Netherlands in the final for sure now as Spain will never bet Germany now.

Argentina unfortunately...sucked defensively. They always did since the beginning of the tournament. It was just a matter of time before an opponent would take them seriously and take advantage of their greatest weakness. That and Germany have proven to be excellent tacticians. They probably study Argentina's game very well and learned how to neutralize them, beginning with Messi. I had a feeling from the start that Argentina and Brasil wouldn't make it, however I will admit that I had hopes for Paraguay. You see, team Paraguay has proven to all South America, and including team Spain that it's not because you don't have big stars that you cannot take on a big soccer country. True, Japan, South africa and Guana did the same. The only difference is that Paraguay went a step beyond. I wasn't cheering necessarily for them, don't think I'm disappointed by their elimination, I am not surprised, but I am extremely proud of them. I enjoy when a team that is not favoured puts up a great fight to the end and that's what Paraguay delivered. Argentina never had that luxury against Germany, they were completely overpowered, they were never able to come back (except for a few minutes when Pasture entered to the field, it was almost as if the Germans were not able to guess his moves, very funny) and the best team won.

My prediction is that we will see Germany against Netherlands in the final. Spain was probably the Euro Cup winner from 2 years ago....but Paraguay made the life very very hard for the former contender to win, and even though they went down 1-0, their loss exposed a lot of Spain's weaknesses during their attack, that I am sure Germany has already identified and will want to use against them. I still like team Spain, but I believe team Germany has the better odds on their side.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 01:20:59 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22