JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: What is the first action figure you remember getting for Christmas?  (Read 4156 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile

Think of it as Brain Age : Christmas edition  :D

"What is the first action figure that you remembering receiving as a gift for Christmas?"

Well, I remember that in 1983 I got my first Star Wars figure. I was hoping it to be Darth Vader as I was unwrapping my gift. As soon as I noticed that it wasn't Vader, I was shocked. I asked my mother why I didn't receive Darth Vader and she answered that she went to many stores and they just didn't have it. I was going to cry because I really wanted a Vader so badly, but she then came up with the most creative lie and it worked: She said it was Vader in his other white uniform.

Because it was actually an Imperial Snowtrooper and it came with a small cape-like vinyl waistpiece, I immediately made a strong bond with this figure and to this day, it is still my favorite vintage Star Wars figure, Vader coming in second. The imperial Stormtrooper didn't come with a lightsaber of course but I was so mesmerized by this "Vader"s unique cape that It didn't matter to me anymore  ;D
2 + 2 = 22

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: What is the first action figure you remember getting for Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:30:39 AM »

I got a Devilfish one year from my older sister. That's the only Christmas I can remember receiving anything action figure like.....I have no idea what I got any other year.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 02:10:56 AM »

1983, i got a load of Action Force stuff, iirc. Z Force tank, Z Force ATC, Skip, SAS Force Panther, MMS and Z Force jeep. Might well have got the Rapid Fire Bike too. Possibly other figures too.

i know i got the Rattler for xmas 1988, cuz the one landing wheel bust on Christmas day.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 06:41:15 AM »

As per pictures Mego Batman.  As for strongest memory, Bespin Han Solo.  He came in a Sears 7 pack.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 04:12:31 PM »

Well, I remember that in 1983 I got my first Star Wars figure. I was hoping it to be Darth Vader as I was unwrapping my gift. As soon as I noticed that it wasn't Vader, I was shocked. I asked my mother why I didn't receive Darth Vader and she answered that she went to many stores and they just didn't have it. I was going to cry because I really wanted a Vader so badly, but she then came up with the most creative lie and it worked: She said it was Vader in his other white uniform.

Because it was actually an Imperial Snowtrooper and it came with a small cape-like vinyl waistpiece, I immediately made a strong bond with this figure and to this day, it is still my favorite vintage Star Wars figure, Vader coming in second. The imperial Stormtrooper didn't come with a lightsaber of course but I was so mesmerized by this "Vader"s unique cape that It didn't matter to me anymore  ;D

Nice story! ..first action fig I got was an Hisstank driver with his tank in '83..

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »

I remember that stuff like it was yesterday. I can't really remember which friends got me what for my birthdays.

Grampa early Christmas (Empire Strikes Back): Cloud Car Pilot, Han Solo, Lobot, Hoth Rebel, Hoth Snow trooper

Birthday 1984: Thunder/Slugger, Soundwave, Storm Shadow, Prowl, Cobra CLAW
Parents Christmas 1984: Megatron, Skywarp, Huffer, Gears, Water Moccasin w Copperhead (or maybe it was the next year)
Gramma christmas 1984: Stormshadow (she didn't know I had him already so I eventually coloured his eye black to make him "Billy" from the comics. Wished I had left him sealed!!!)

Parents 1985: Grimlock, Snarl, Tomax/Xamot, Snake Eyes, LCV recon Sled    (Easter - Warpath)
grampa 1985: Shipwreck, Dusty, Flint, Barbeque, Airtight, Snow Serpent, Crimson Guard

Parents 1986: Hawk, Wet Suit, Listen n Fun Tripwire, Lowlight, BATS, Thunder Machine
Grampa: Zarana, Zandar, Dr. Mindbender

Parents 1987 Birthday:  Tunnel Rat, Law & Order, Lt. Falcon (Visionaries Witterquick and Cryotek)
1987 Birthday my best friend Kevin - Cobra La Team
Parents 1987 Christmas: two Visionaries vehicles, Leoric, Cravex
My grampa gave me money and I bought Scourge and Cyclonus

In 1988 I used Christmas money to buy Tiger Force Roadblock and Gnawgahyde.

Those were the last toys I remember...

If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

crazylegs

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Illustration & Design
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »

First two I got were Covergirl and the Wolverine (which I don't have now in my collection and really want) and the Skystriker with Ace.

Man, I was in my glee...I played with those so much. I remember a very sad day back in 84 when it was spring and I was playing with ace out in the stream of melting snow and I let him go (by mistake) and I ended up loosing him in the stream that went under mounds and mounds of melting snow on the side of the street that eventually went to a man hole.

Even to this day when I pass by that area I think of it.

Funny how things are with such vivid memories of the toys we loved.

I also remember a Christmas where I got Zartan, the Evil Twin Bros, the ferret, a few joe figures and Voltron and figs. What battles did I play with the Joes against Voltron. Also a few Transformers that year. I always got Transformers for Christmas. Either a few little ones or a medium sized on like Sound wave, or Optimus Prime. I still have them!

10 - 3 over and out...

Crazylegs
"YO JOESKI!" - Horrorshow

Collection:
http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w430/Crazzylegs/GI%20JOE%20Collection/

Want List:
http:/

kurt_eh

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 12:40:09 AM »

I remember opening up MOBAT one Christmas morning.  And the heartbreak that came when I discovered that the Steeler had a faulty o-ring.  He flew apart in my hands moments after I got him out of the blister.

My dad shipped it back to Hasbro, and they sent me a new one within a month or so.

Then later that summer, I was playing with it at a friends house, and it rolled down a hill, spilling Steeler, and I never found him again.

Until a couple of years ago on eBay.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 08:59:16 AM »

I remember the Star Wars stuff more vividly than the Joe stuff.  But aside from getting the Terror Drome for Xmas the year it came out, the one most exciting figure I got for Christmas was Mutt and Junkyard because we had opened all of our presents(or so I thought) and settled down for breakfast when my mom came into the kitchen with a present she found under the couch while cleaning up  wrapping paper.  She gave it to me to open and there was the MOC Mutt and Junkyard!
My parents would hide presents under the living room furniture just before Xmas eve. 

It's strange every year after that we looked under the couches before Christmas and after for that matter but there was nothing there.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

g.ijoecollecter3400

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • where not worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »

Meacheal Keaton as Beetljuice. That was a sad day my friends. :'(
I oppened the drawer and there it was "" GONE ""