JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Global International shipping on Ebay  (Read 5988 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Global International shipping on Ebay
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »

So I won something on Ebay and the seller will be shipping it using Global International shipping. I had to pay import fees when I checked out by paypal. Is it true that I will not have to pay additional import fees when I receive my item? Also am I still required to fill out a customs form? Apparently I do according to the terms and conditions, but maybe it is I who misunderstood...

Thanks for any help :)
2 + 2 = 22

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Global International shipping on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »

Apparently, the designated global shipping carrier is the one who fills all customs forms and takes care of import fees.
Very nice. I guess all I have to do is wait for my package to arrive and hope I don't have to pay anything else :)

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

2 + 2 = 22

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 06:11:32 PM »

Do they charge brokerage fees since they are paying customers on your behalf?
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:19:27 PM »

Apparently, brokerage fees falls under import fees, and is thus taken care of because of what I paid already in advance.
2 + 2 = 22

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:22:32 AM »

Good to know!
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:15:23 AM »

Apparently, brokerage fees falls under import fees, and is thus taken care of because of what I paid already in advance.

thats good hopefully the fees werent crazy like fedex or ups.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »

I paid about 22usd shipping for US First Priority Mail (1 week delivery), plus about 18usd for import fees (which includes the brokerage fees amongst many others).

Some of you may say that in the end shipping came down to about 40usd which sounds expensive at first, but I guess it balances out depending on what it is that you buy. This is the auction that I won at a 61usd end price, which is a very very good price for the Aliens fan that I am: http://www.ebay.com/itm/24HR-AUCTION-NO-RESERVE-kenner-aliens-toy-18-figure-lot-loose-KENNER-ALIEN-/181159491383?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3AOC%3ACA%3A3160&item=181159491383&nma=true&si=2b5YlX3HcziRx2xHKPjP0%252FwiVjA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was already very satisfied with the end price that I didn't mind at all paying the stated amount for shipping and import fees. Neo, you make a valid point, because the import fees do increase accordingly with the end price, and thankfully I didn't get to find out how much more they could've gone up to. Before re-confirming your maximum bid, the updated amount for import fees displays at the bottom of the window.
2 + 2 = 22

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 11:13:59 PM »

So a US buyer would pay $10, but a Canadian had to pay $40?
That's why I don't buy from eBay anymore....
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 01:36:47 PM »

So a US buyer would pay $10, but a Canadian had to pay $40?
That's why I don't buy from eBay anymore....

I hear ya on that one Grunt...
Keep in mind that the US buyer becomes also subject to higher fees if the item he wins only ships with the Global Shipping program.

BTW everyone, the package arrived at my door a few days ago, and I didn't have to pay anything extra, just so that you know.
2 + 2 = 22

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »

Is this ebay's answer to all the International people saying that they did not get there items?  now that an independant 3rd party is shipping the items to you now. 

Just curious if it is or just another way for a company to grab money off us for no reason.  I only payed extra a couple times. 
Lurking

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »

Just curious if it is or just another way for a company to grab money off us for no reason.  I only payed extra a couple times.

I think it's your first theory. I have no proof that the third party used the fees I paid to any customs charges. Heck, I still have no way of knowing if there were any customs charges. There came no US customs declaration form attached...
2 + 2 = 22

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 01:22:10 AM »

Is this ebay's answer to all the International people saying that they did not get there items?  now that an independant 3rd party is shipping the items to you now. 

Customs brokers serve a useful ( if annoying) purpose in international trade and commerce. They act a guarantor in expediting goods coming into the country, typically shipments of larger goods and commodities that see cross-border trade, but also items like mail and parcels which would otherwise have to all be inspected individually.  Think about the number of pieces of mail that come into the country on any given day at all points of entry.......and then think about the manpower needed to individually clear each of those pieces, those in addition to the bills of lading for goods like lumber, equipment, food, all manner of products. A customs broker takes on much of that blanket responsibility so as to free up customs and postal staff that would otherwise have to process and inspect those imports.  They also provide useful business intelligence by monitoring what kinds of goods typically get imported into the country.
Not everything ( at least at the level that you and I import toys into the country) gets handled by customs brokers though, as there looks to be a certain cost threshold and shipping type that seems to trigger their involvement in clearing.  Courier services always seem to use them, because their imports are speedy and often of higher value. Regular parcel post doesn't always use customs brokers because the items tend to arrive by slower means ( truck traffic etc) and are typically of lesser value per item.