JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: aaaaarrrrgggh...  (Read 3912 times)

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
aaaaarrrrgggh...
« on: November 11, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »

i've done something to my right wrist and my heel of my hand is swollen. went to the doctor's, he said the ligaments are inflamed. it's agony. i've got ibuprofen to take. i'm having to use my left hand only to use the PC.

don' be surprised not to see me for a few....
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
Re: aaaaarrrrgggh...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »

Get well soon dude and take your rest. Last thing you want to do is make it worse.

g.ijoecollecter3400

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • where not worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »

i've done something to my right wrist and my heel of my hand is swollen. went to the doctor's, he said the ligaments are inflamed. it's agony. i've got ibuprofen to take. i'm having to use my left hand only to use the PC.

don' be surprised not to see me for a few....

A lot of us ( lobster fisherman ) get that too. It's from doing the same action ( banning lobster's ) over and over.
Sometimes it's so bad you can't sleep @ night. Or you have to sleep with your arms dangling off the bed, so that the blood can circulate because your wrists are so swelled up.

Anyway if that happens to you repeatedly Sundance you can go for a small operation ( right in the doctors office ) where they cut some kinda ligament in your wrist. Never bothers you again after that.
I oppened the drawer and there it was "" GONE ""

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 09:53:46 PM »

I got Carpal tunnel syndrome once that was something like that. Felt fine until I went to move my thumb on my right hand. Couldn't even turn a door knob for 2 weeks until I wrapped it up so I couldn't move it and 2 nights and it was gone. Ibuprofen sounds like the right thing to take the edge off but I'd suggest wrapping your wrist up, maybe with a piece of metal that they use for cracked wrist wraps to really immobilize it, especially at night.

For those who've never had something like this. You CANNOT IMAGINE how much it hurts! Owowow!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:19:03 PM »

Take care of yourself. 
Lurking

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:52:36 PM »

I'd suggest going to a pharmacy ( or Walmart) and getting a wrist brace--they'll cost between $15 to $30.

As a cartoonist, when I was working as a inbetweener in animation, I used to get wrist and hand problems frequently. The reason was that I was always elevating my elbow when I drew and thus it was affecting my arm in both directions. And the pain was BAD.  I'd have to wrap my arm in a heating blanket each night, and endure the spasms as the muscles tried to sort themselves out while I slept.
I used to slip my arm into my t-shirt sleeve, up to my elbow, in a kind of make-shift sling. Tried all kinds of stupid remedies for it ( without seeing a doctor) and one of the one that worked for a while was taking a small full soup can, and resting my arm on a tabletop while rolling the can up and down my arm. 
First few times are brutal because the muscles are tensed and all screwed up......so the arm flops around out of reflex.

For me, the symptoms and discomfort mostly eased off over time, as I switched to other kinds of drawing, but the problem reoccurred after years of computer use.
See, I'd have my mouse located in a spot where I'd have to suspend my arm and elbow, and sure enough.........I'd get the numbness, tingling and aching all over again. Not all the time, but occasionally.

I bought a Futuro wrist brace, basically a plastic splint inside a durable vinyl/cloth gauntlet, with velcro fasteners to tighten at the knuckles, wrist and forearm. The splint lays on the underside of the arm, ending in the palm of your hand.
Combine that with some (optional) pain-relievers or muscle relaxants and it's always worked for relief. Now, I wear the brace for a couple of days,  maybe a couple of times every couple of months.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »

Get well soon Sunny-Dee
2 + 2 = 22

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 02:41:05 PM »

thanks for all the best wishes. my wrist is a lot better now, but not completely 100%

probaly about 88%
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.