JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: 2009 Canadian Joe Convention feedback wanted.  (Read 17302 times)

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Canadian Joe Convention feedback wanted.
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »

Just a small thing and its just a little nitpicky I know...

It was nice to have free food for us on the table as well, but one thing that kind of stopped me from taking any of the pepperettes was that they werent pre cut/seperated, so basically if you took one, you had to have grabbed one or 2 of the next ones to pull one off, kind of bad sanitation wise as basically you are gaurenteed that the person before you put their hands all over the one you are eatting...I know some people are ok with that but you dont want people to get sick :)...or do we?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Bandalero

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 10:57:36 AM »

I thought the convention centre itself was great, every year you guys keep topping yourselves!  As for feedback?

I completely understand allowing vendors 2 solid hours to sell their wares because some came from a distance, but speaking as a patron, it dragged on a bit after circling the room about 20 times.  Don't get me wrong, everyone was cordial at the show, but I did feel uncomfortable after a while seeing the same vendor every 10 mins trying to spot something I may have missed on my previous visits.

I can only suggest some activity or annoucement to break up the 2 hour session for a bit.  And this goes back to having a media-area with running cartoons as suggested above.  Patrons could watch an episode for 22 mins and hit the floor/vendors again possibly.  If a raffle could be done every hour, maybe that would be a nice alternate "break" in the proceedings.

Along the lines of media, I was disappointed not see the Movie trailer(s) running, or even G.I. Joe Resolute being showcased - but this could all be legal issues that would prevent you guys from pulling it off.  However, I believe the onus should be on Hasbro Canada themselves to get that sort of property to promote at the convention.  They had the movie toys and a big cardboard stand, but they could have had the trailers running or G.I. Joe Resolute as well - it's all promotion.

Not a suggestion, but more of a comment - I hope the 12" Joe vendor went away satisified.  He seemed like a nice guy in the brief conversation we had, but I couldn't help but notice the lack of interest in the 12" stuff.  Well he did choose to attend, and it adds more variety on the trade floor, but how do you guys feel about future 12" products at the convention?  Is there a market or are they taking up 3' 3/4" space?  Just throwing it out there - don't mean to offend anyone.

Last year there was water available, I didn't see it this year ~ but that could be the convention centre not allowing you guys to bring food products in ('cept I did see the beef jerky again).  And the convention centre would want patrons to buy from their cafeteria, so not sure how you would counter that.

Final suggestion - if it is at all possible please host the convention in Toronto, I garauntee with the right promotion your attendance numbers would skyrocket.  Toronto/Mississauga is were all the big trade shows go.

Finally I want to end on a positive -

1. Please keep inviting Mark Bellamo to the convention. I  finally had the priviledge to meet the man this year and he is fantastic.  Very approchable with a wealth of knowledge on the subject.  He's a genuine fan and it shows.  I'm equally impressed that he actually owns every single piece he writes about.  If Mark had his 2nd edition available I'm sure he would have sold out instantly - that much closer to the 10,000 unit goal.

2. It's certain Hasbro Canada is now a part of the convention.  Please tell Greg Fergeson to keep bringing pretty marketing assistants with him each year! He had two last year, not sure why he only came with one person this year (you were great Courtney!), but still - I know Hasbro Canada's hands are tied with alot of things they can't disclose or answer, so the least they can do is give us a plesant distraction =)

3. Your team's organizational skills are second to none.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:18:58 AM by Bandalero »

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 12:08:38 PM »

I was happy with what movie promotion items and toys Hasbro brought, but would have to agree - I thought they would have been playing a trailer.

Video games would help with the kids (esp. with the ROC game coming out soon), but I would guess this would be logistically quite difficult as yo would need a few systems going.  I'd donate a TV or two, but who's gonna lend their system out?  I know how my son and his friends play. 
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »

Quote from: "Bandalero"
Last year there was water available, I didn't see it this year ~ but that could be the convention centre not allowing you guys to bring food products in ('cept I did see the beef jerky again).  And the convention centre would want patrons to buy from their cafeteria, so not sure how you would counter that.

I will comment on this.  I bought the case of water bottles last year.  Nobody ask me to.  It did it from my own pocket.  I could have been prick and sold the bottles for a buck each.  But I didn't.  Considering, I hardly got a thanks for the effort (one person thanked me), no more water bottles from my end.  
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Bandalero

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 12:54:54 PM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
I will comment on this.  I bought the case of water bottles last year.  Nobody ask me to.  It did it from my own pocket.  I could have been prick and sold the bottles for a buck each.  But I didn't.  Considering, I hardly got a thanks for the effort (one person thanked me), no more water bottles from my end.  

oh I didn't know u did that Pete. I thought the Marriot Hotel gave you guys complimentary water and though that the Hamilton Convention Centre didn't do the same.  Well, it's a year late - but I'm thanking you for that!

I remember the water being in ice pitchers though - did the hotel supply that at least?  Anyways it's a minor thing but I'm thinking in terms of the kids and families that visit during the day, having water on-hand at future cons may be beneficial (maybe incorporate that into the budget).   At least I'd go the water route than the beef jerky route given the choice.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:01:08 PM by Bandalero »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »

I had no clue you brought bottles of water?? The Marriott provided cups and pitchers of Water.... I know you bought a case the year prior - and I thanked you for the one (or two) I took. ;-)

I think on Monday I'm going to go through this entire thread and see what I can answer, or explain as to why we did/didn't have some things this year. We did have the sitting area return this year - that was missing last year. ;-)

xhairs

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/XHAIRS_photos/
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 01:14:31 PM »

last yr i didnt even know there was water there. i just kept buying pop from the store. but that was real cool of you man. if i knew that i would of said thanks. 1 it would of saved me cash and 2 thats real cool.
CUSTOM TOYS ARE THE BEST TOYS !!!!!!!!!!!!
ORING, CLASSIC & RESOLUTE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »

oh I didn't know u did that Pete. I thought the Marriot Hotel gave you guys complimentary water and though that the Hamilton Convention Centre didn't do the same.  Well, it's a year late - but I'm thanking you for that!

I remember the water being in ice pitchers though - did the hotel supply that at least?  Anyways it's a minor thing but I'm thinking in terms of the kids and families that visit during the day, having water on-hand at future cons may be beneficial (maybe incorporate that into the budget).   At least I'd go the water route than the beef jerky route given the choice.

I appreciate the late thanks.  But with the number of people this year and the lack of recycling receptacles on the sales floor, I am glad I didn't buy any water bottles.  All those bottles would have ended up in the garbage can, just like all the beverage containers I noted.   That bugs me, considering I work in the environmental field.  Plus no hotel or convention centre is going to give away bottled water.  I like the pitcher idea though, considering I can get free spring water from Uxbridge.  

Some else has mentioned this...the pepperettes.  Next year, I will cut them myself with gloves on.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »

I appreciate the late thanks.  But with the number of people this year and the lack of recycling receptacles on the sales floor, I am glad I didn't buy any water bottles.  All those bottles would have ended up in the garbage can, just like all the beverage containers I noted.   That bugs me, considering I work in the environmental field.  Plus no hotel or convention centre is going to give away bottled water.  I like the pitcher idea though, considering I can get free spring water from Uxbridge.  

Some else has mentioned this...the pepperettes.  Next year, I will cut them myself with gloves on.

Nice, I will definatly eat them next year then  ;D
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 03:12:31 PM »

I know I'll be in the minority here, but i'd much prefer the con to stay in a place like Hamilton, and away from major metros like Toronto.  Seriously, it's less than an hour drive to get to Hamilton from Toronto.  Everytime I go to a big time convention, I have to contend with horrible or expensive parking, bad traffic and expensive hotels (if I'm staying at one).  This con is in a not too big and not too small town.  But that's just me, and I'd go to toronto if it was there anyway, so it's not like changing would lose me as a customer :P

Storm.Shadow

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike?"
The Hasbro one, we respected the wishes of Hasbro and did not allow any video, audio or still images to be taken.

But there is a Tan Armadillo tank coming out for the movie - with guns on the side - just like our own Dead Eye tank. :-)

And the Viper Elite looks cool.

Thanks.

I was just wondering if there were answers given to specific questions asked here.  I'm not sure if this followed the same format as the typically Q&A with Hasbro.

night force cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 03:37:47 PM »

Quote from: "Storm.Shadow"
Quote from: "THE Mike?"
The Hasbro one, we respected the wishes of Hasbro and did not allow any video, audio or still images to be taken.

But there is a Tan Armadillo tank coming out for the movie - with guns on the side - just like our own Dead Eye tank. :-)

And the Viper Elite looks cool.

Thanks.

I was just wondering if there were answers given to specific questions asked here.  I'm not sure if this followed the same format as the typically Q&A with Hasbro.
Definitely no real surprises or big revelations in the slideshow (they save all that stuff for SDCC), except to people to who maybe haven't seen a lot of movie merchandise up early on ebay...  that's I think the only place I have seen most of the early movie stuff.

While what was shown might not have been much, but what was said was a different story, especially for those who live up over the border.  Wal-Mart Canada does plan to carry most (all?) of the movie themed exclusives all over Canada.  I think he said something about this a big push for Walmart in the summer movie season so having the exclusives in Canada too was important.  And he explained why that huge PIT playset (and some other electronic talking things from the ROC line) would not be availible in Quebec and it was disheartening even for a guy who lives in the states: too expensive to program it in French for mass production but the stores there won't be ordering it if its got English voicetracks only.   :-   I THINK he mentioned there was one exception for the electronic toys that would be carried there but damned if I can recall what specificallly that was. 

It was cool to see the whole first wave of movie figures, carded, in person though on hasbro's table in the showroom.   And there was a Night Raven out for demostration so people could pick it up and try the features out.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 03:55:14 PM by night force cynic »