JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: my room  (Read 23760 times)

Crimson Canuck

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: my room
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 04:44:14 PM »

Wanted a cool way to display my classic Joes but never found anything that I liked. Didn't want them loose on a shelf or case, so I built my own display.
I liked the way the club had the figures in foam, so I took that idea and made a frame and the logo and date (router for depth) on top. I plan to make cases for each of the '82-'86 series but decided to start with '84 because I had most of the figures complete. Now I can display my classic Joe without having to dust them all and I don't have to worry about losing anything.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 05:29:46 PM »

I like that. Much better then my way of placing them in bags in a bin down in my basement.  :)

80m8

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr page
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 02:49:39 PM »

wow realy good ideas ! best way to show them with all accessories without chance loosing something and all without the dust.

Crimson Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 07:29:04 PM »

I like that. Much better then my way of placing them in bags in a bin down in my basement.  :)

LOL. That's how mine are too, just wanted to be able to look at them without rummaging through a drawer.

Crimson Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 08:10:42 PM »

wow realy good ideas ! best way to show them with all accessories without chance loosing something and all without the dust.
Thanks, and this way I don't take the chance of breaking a thumb either 'cause I'd HAVE to display them holding their weapons if they were on a shelf.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 09:20:43 PM »

LOL. That's how mine are too, just wanted to be able to look at them without rummaging through a drawer.

Don't get me wrong. I would have mine all out in every room but and with all my small kids running around they're safer in storage for now.... and the wife said no.

Crimson Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 09:49:31 PM »

Don't get me wrong. I would have mine all out in every room but and with all my small kids running around they're safer in storage for now.... and the wife said no.

Yes, safer that way with little kids.

80m8

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr page
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 10:09:17 PM »

Thanks, and this way I don't take the chance of breaking a thumb either 'cause I'd HAVE to display them holding their weapons if they were on a shelf.

And the same time less stress on the elbow and you will protect any scrach to the paint.

It should be a little complicated to make the organization of the weapons, and for the 90s series with all the big accessories I think that could be realy hard job to organize everything ;)

I am alrealy thinking about making one for dreadnok or Iron grenadiers thank you for sharing the ideas

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 09:44:49 AM »

Looks really nice. Did you use glass or Lexan? How heavy is it? Could you hang it on a wall or is it shelf only?

Crimson Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 12:07:37 AM »

Looks really nice. Did you use glass or Lexan? How heavy is it? Could you hang it on a wall or is it shelf only?

Thanks. I'll break down all the materials I used
I bought a 4'x9'x1" 2lb density packing foam(just under $200 with shipping and taxes, you city boys could probably get it for $150), so it's easy to cut with an exacto, but is soft enough not to put too much pressure on the figures. Plus I can melt shapes for the accessories without much problems. I use a pencil soldering iron to make the small cuts for the accessories.
The frame is made from 2x4 that I cut to fit the foam and I made a lip to hold in the glass and foam.
I used glass (1/16" and took the frame in to get it cut to size)because it's easier to clean. I've used Lexan before and it scratches too easy.
The backing is foam core that I got cut to size at a custom picture place in town.
I used 70lb picture wire attatched to 1-1/2" eyelet hangers and two 30lb picture hangers to hang it.
The top logo is a 2x4 cut down to 3" and I routered the logo with my dremel router attatchment, and attached it to the frame with doweling and wood glue. The frame with the figures is approx. 15lbs. The '85 & '86 cases I'm guessing will be close to 20lbs.
Each case will be approx. $100 for materials (the foam and glass being the most expensive)and take 5-7 days to do(leisurely pace mind you).
And my wife says they look better on the wall instead of the drawer, but I think that's only because I'm almost finished redoing her cupboards, LOL.

Crimson Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 01:42:44 PM »

Waiting for my foam core supplier to reorder so I thought I'd post some w.i.p. photos
making the figure cutouts.

'85 & '86 completed foams.

The logo headers being routered.

Crimson Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »

The '82 display case