JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Issue #2 is now online!  (Read 12498 times)

Lt Storm

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://canadaseliteheadquarters.com/
Re: Issue #2 is now online!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 10:56:41 PM »

Awesome second issue!!!

I wasn't surprised by Hasbro Canada's answer to the first question, its the same thing they told me two years ago.   :shifty:  Oh how I long for the 80's

oh btw, once again awesome newletter, really enjoyed it.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
When life gives you lemons...trade them in for oranges, they are much better for you.

Colonel Abernathy

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/sabulicious
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 06:27:02 PM »

The mention of Consumers Distributing brought back some memories...oh how I used to scan through the toy section of the catalogue endlessly!

Quote from: "pdaat"
I enjoyed the Canadian Exclusive section.  Not so long ago my wife and I were cleaning out one of my mother-in-laws closets and I found a bunch of old Consumer's and Sears catalogues.  My wife could not understand why I had to have them (other than the stylish 80's fashions).
Sabu

Check out my music:

www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 05:22:22 PM »

Great job again guys.  Consumers Distributing for me was just as much part of collecting Joes as it was to find them on the pegs of Eatons and Sears.  It would be neat to see all of the old catalog photos of the Joe products over the years.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 06:34:30 PM »

I read the newsletter Monday morning while waiting for my flight to Edmonton.  It made the time fly by for me as I read the whole issue.  I haven't been able to do that with MCs newsletter for some time now.  The newsletter was a great read.

I had a good laugh when I saw Ed's review of the Consumers Distributing (CD) Cobra motorized tank because I was going to pick up one in Edmonton.  It worked out for me and the seller off ebay as his house was in the same areas as my hotel.  Considering I didn't sleep at all on Sunday night, worked a brutal 12-18 hour days (mind you I am on salary so I have to take it up the ass), picking up the CD Cobra motorized tank was the highlight of my trip.  The low light was getting my crappy KIA rental stuck in a small snow bank at the rear of an industrial building that I was snooping around.  Fitting to have a figure named Snow Bank in this issue  :shifty:

I had put off getting the Cobra motorized tank because I was never a fan of this mold (or any other MOBAT version).  But knowing how this hobby works, I better try and get one now before the market really dries up.  So I bid and won a complete CD tank off ebay last week.  I won't consider this as a holy grail but it's sure nice to get another Canadian exclusive and keep it in Canada.   

So today, after cleaning the sticker residue of the bottom of the CD tank, I went back and looked at Ed's review again.  Ed is right, the black glossy plastic enables the molding highlights to stick out better than the green M.O.B.A.T.  My opinion of the mold has changed slightly as it's not all that bad. Still not worth the price tag I paid for it (15 bucks is a steal Ed).  And considering I have no urge to own another one or army build it, this tank will be indeed Cobra Commander's personal tank.

And I wasn't a fan of Consumers Distributing's system.  I remember the first GI JOE figure I wanted was Snow Job in 1983.  He was displayed on the Polar Battle Bear in the 1983 catelog.  Considering my mom hardly knew English, we both went up to the counter for help.  I pointed to the area on the catelog with Snow Job.  So the person at CD helped us and I thought I got Snow Job.  Remember he was on the cover of the Polar Battle Bear box.  I get home and find out it's just the vehicle.  I probably whine or cried or something as my mom had a hunch this wasn't what I wanted.  She took it back and exchanged it for Snow Job (some how). That was the last time I ever remebered going into CD to get a GI JOE toy.  After that it was Zellers, Bi Way and TRU.  And I do remember Toys R' Us as a kid as they where in my area in 1986.  It's where I picked my X-Mas presents (H.A.V.O.C. and Wetsuit). 

And you couldn't find Storm Shadow besides CD?  I remember seeing pegs of him and other characters at Zellers. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 08:32:33 PM »

You really did a great job guys! I also like very much the profile section for the Cobra Motorized Tank... really well done! I also learn a lot from the 1st issue about Steeler and his Canadian birth place.  ;D

About the bilingual packaging, I will just add a little something... without making here a political debate (promised!). The spolight was made on the Province of Québec for the French part on the packaging. But, the only bilingual Province in Canada by its Charter is... New Brunswick! Like Ottawa, by its Charter again, is a bilingual city. According to StatCan last census (2006 : http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/demo11b.htm), the French population in Canada is 6,817,655 on 30,848,270 total population, so 22% (not 15%). But this is just numbers, everything else was very well presented! Thanks Scramble!

Can't wait for the 3rd issue!!

Martin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:33:44 AM by martin-montreal »

night force cynic

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 09:27:46 PM »

Due to the first newsletter's spotlight on Steeler and the realization he was Canadian over the border, I've been chewing on the idea of 'offcially' switching Mr. Pulaski's birthplace to Hamilton in my own Joeverse.   Yeah, that was all new to me, awesome new knowledge. 

the newsletter article mentioned that Snow Job, Airborne, and Scarlett were also of Canadian origin on their GWN-release FCs.  Can someone list off the birth cities for them please?

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »

Scarlett: Grande Prairie, Alberta
Airborne: Caughnawaga, Quebec
Snowjob: Yellowknife, North West Territories
Lifeline (Battle Corps):  Vancouver, British Columbia
Duke (Star Brigade):  Regina, Saskachewan