JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Fan Expo  (Read 3835 times)

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
Fan Expo
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:42:42 PM »

So does any of this fan-meet business take place during the Fan Expo in Toronto?

If you're unfamiliar with it, Fan Expo is essentially a comic, Sci-fi, anime, horror, game convention held annually at the Toronto Convention centre. 

I find it's a great place to grab a few needed comics or figures and would think that a GI Joe booth would seem only natural.  Heck, last year there was even the rather portly pair of Destro and Cobra Commander walking about!  I'd post a picture, but the only one I have also has my brother in it and I don't think he'd like that...  suffice it to say, the Cobra's have really let themselves go!

Anyway, is anyone putting a booth there?  Or showing up for the fun of it?  Maybe if enough of us are going, we could have our own on-the-side Joe Meet?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Re: Fan Expo
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:14:16 PM »

I've always found the price of admission, the egotistical attitude of most of the guests, and the over priced items for sale have never been worth it to attend.

From what everyone has told me, there's never any old joes at it, and all the new stuff is priced too high.

Canuklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:11:20 PM »

This is kinda true.  The guests are kind of egotistical, but you sometimes get really good ones.  Jake Loyd was great - out in front of the table, shaking hands with kids, posing for pictures...  really cool.  Often, if there's a line, you're rushed through, but if there's few people in line, you can linger and chat a bit. 

And the deals are there - you just need to look for them.  The toys are a tad expensive, but if you're looking for a specific one, and they have it, it's often a lot cheaper than anything on eBay once you add in the shipping.  But yeah, there aren't any old ones...  that kind of sucks.  Comics though, you can get some sweet bargains on most comics and TPBs.

For me, it's an experience - I go every year with my brother, go in Friday to scope the place out and maybe grab an Autograph or two - then head back in on Saturday, grab a giant bag from Silver Snail and hunt down all the free swag I can.  The price I pay for admission is made up in the sheer number of posters I get alone.  And it's a good weekend with my brother, so that's a bonus.

I don't know - it seems like it would be the perfect crowd for this place.  Everyone there seems to be a collector in that they have that bug...  they buy one, they just need to keep going.   Maybe getting thousands of new people interested in the new Joes would provide the sales Canada needs to get the same treatment as the US.  But hey, get them all started and there's less out there for us, right?

Canuklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:45:51 AM »

Sorry about bumping this topic, but I didn't want to start another one...

This weekend is the FanExpo in Toronto.  I'll be attending, as I have for the past few years, now.  It's usually a really good place to find toys and hard-to-find comics, so I'll post what I can in here when I get back, if any of it is relevant.  I've set out my spending budgets...  hopefully I'll stumble upon a Cobra 5-pack for not a crazy price.

Canuklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:15:56 PM »

Wanted to just say that I just got back from the show.

I lucked out and saw the DVD Packs (1 & 2) at two different vendors.  Silver Snail was selling them for $35 each - another vendor for $30 each.  I'm thrilled that I was able to talk the second vendor down to $35 for the set.  Saves me trouble of looking around for them... 

Also saw the ComiCon CC (black suit) and Doc for $60 each...   was tempted to buy them and tried to haggle but they were having none of that.  They're cool figures, but not $60 cool...  unless I come upon some money, one day.

TONS of other Joes all over the convention, mostly US cards and a mix of ones I had and ones I missed from earlier waves.  Some were over-priced, but some very fair and open to negotiation... but I met my budget and walked away happy - so all in all, a good experience for toy collecting and general geeking out.

(also picked up a copy of GI Joe Order of Battle in mint condition.  Was a nice addition)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 11:58:32 PM »

I was given a free ticket to attend today, so I did. Where were these joes you saw ALL over the place? I hit each and every booth - I only saw two people with them, and both were overpriced.

And I confirmed what I first thought about it.

The guests think they're worth every penny YOU make.

Examples:

The chick from Saw 1,2,3,4
$40.00 for an autograph
$20.00 to take a picture of her with your own camera.

Brent Spiner
$35.00 for an autograph
Pic included with autograph

Henry Winkler
$30.00 for a picture with him.

Michael Rosenbaum
$30.00 for an autograph
Picture free with autograph

Jeremy Bulloch
$20.00 for autograph
FREE picture with him.

I didn't check the rest, but I know everyone wanted money to sign an autograph - that's insulting. If anything, Henry Winkler (Fonzie) was nice to meet and speak to, so was Bulloch (Bobba Fett), Rosenbaum (Lex) was nice enough - but also seemed like he was done with you once he got your money. (My wife wanted it).

I didn't purchase ONE thing there all day - and this is me... I can find something I want anywhere.... and I did - but the prices were just way too much.

Anything Joe that was there, you WILL get cheaper at the Canadian Joe Con in 2009.

Overall, that show is a waste of time for me. But I'm also a firm believer that you should sign autographs for people for free - or at $10.00 MAX if they supply the item.

If my admission wasn't free, I wouldn't of gone. Thus, I won't be attending again.

Canuklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 01:25:11 AM »

The autographs were expensive, this year.  Last year, most were $20 - $30.  A lot of people WERE free, though...  almost every comic guy, really.  I got Kevin Eastman's Autograph, a conversation with him, a photo with him and a fun, memorable experience, all for free...  which was nice for me, because I was and am a huge fan.

Some people see an autograph as a signature on a photo...  others see it as an experience. And others still see it as an opportunity to meet someone that they've admired for as long as they can remember.  My brother is and always has been a big Alice Cooper Fan.  To say that he like Alice Cooper as much as you like GI Joe would be an understatement to the amount of admiration he has for the man.  Two years ago, for $50, he was given to opportunity to meet Alice Cooper, have the first album he ever released autographed and have a good five minute one-on-one conversation about the origins of the album.  It's very hard to put a price on meeting someone a person has idolized for as long as they can remember - and I'd bet every dollar I have that he'd pay more than triple that to do it again.

Now, some people feel that way about Star Trek stars, some about Star Wars stars and I'm sure even some about Wes Craven.  And while I respect the opinion that it IS just a signature on a photo and a waste for some people, I hope that you can understand that for a lot of people, the price they pay is for an opportunity they've always dreamt of - and it can be insulting that you'd find that insulting.

Anyway, I meant I saw a lot of 25th Anniversary Joes, there...  sorry for not mentioning that.  And I'll correct myself further and say "more Joes than I thought there would be in more locations than I was expecting" instead of all over the convention.  I only saw one 80's Boxed Serpentor's Air Chariot there for more than I'd pay.  As far as 25th Ann, one booth had earlier waves for too much - but the rest that I saw (I'm counting 5 off the top of my head) had singles priced in the range of $8 to $9, sets for $35 or so, always tax-free and often discounted if you bought more than one and paid cash.  I went for two days, got in two hours early on Friday with VIP admission to beat the crowd and spent a total of 10 hours there, looking and looking again at every booth that had action figures...  So I had plenty of time to be meticulous in my huntings  :wink:  (

And I don't doubt that I'd find good or better prices at the JoeCon...  this was just another option for me, that I exercised while I spent time on other hobbies that I enjoy.  I'm in no way insisting that this is "the place to be" or that it's better than your JoeCon.  I understand how it can be a waste for you, though - but for a lot of people it's a very fun and even rewarding experience, not just an event.

Clearly there aren't a lot of comic/horror/sci-fi/etc. fans on the boards, here, as this topic has only received two negative criticisms.  So, I'll stop bringing it up.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 09:34:23 AM »

Mike just hates the show - Don't take it personally.

I was going to go with a comic friend of mine, but it just didn't work out. There's a lot to see there, though if I did go, it wouldn't be for joe. Sometimes I just like watching the cosplay anime freaks and the "professional gamers" and the booths and such.

Was there anything of a goody bag to be had?

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 11:18:11 AM »

Quote from: "THE Mikeā„¢"

The guests think they're worth every penny YOU make.

Fuck them in terms of what they think they are worth.  If it wasn't for fans watching their shows in the first place, they would be NOTHING.  Same goes for sport athletes. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 02:24:08 PM »

Quote from: "Raptor"
Mike just hates the show - Don't take it personally.

Actually, I don't. I think it's one of the best run, most publicized, cleanest shows I've ever been to. It gives people a wide array of items to look at, some interesting people (ask me about the guy dressed as Baroness), and a chance to give new artists, stores, etc a place to get known and make a name for themselves.

I'm WELL aware of what it's like to meet someone you're a fan of. I closed up my shop for a day and lost all profits as a result just to meet Roddy Piper in Niagara Falls about 3 years ago. The autograph was free, and he allowed me to take a photo with him.

I've also had the chance to meet The Northern Pikes on many occasions - so much so that one of them tracked ME down on facebook and I talk to him pretty regularly now. Again - free, free, free.

It's called "respecting your fan base". These guests get paid for their attendance, and it's up to them if they wish to chard YOU for an autograph or whatnot.

When Larry Hama attended the Canadian Joe Meet last year, he ended up with some money from me. flight paid, hotel paid, and transportation to and from the event for free as well - but chose NOT to charge you guys for his autograph. I told him that he was more than welcome to do so as he's there all day - he chose not to, unless he did a sketch for someone.  He was just happy to meet his fans.

I should mention that I honestly have no problem with a $5.00 or depending on who it is - $10.00 fee for an autograph. But they should AT LEAST be willing to allow you to take a picture with them - FOR FREE.

Canuklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 06:18:05 PM »

It's cool...  I don't take much personally. 

I guess I'd probably have a different view if I were organizing a similar event...  I don't really know the technical details of getting big names there, so I don't really have a benchmark for their arrogance.  I will say this, though:  The dude that plays the Chief in Battlestar was doing photo ops for a donation to charity in whatever amount you could afford.  THAT is something I'd encourage and support.

Anyway, it was good times - saw a lot - sprung for the VIP package, so I got the goodie bag with a few things in it, but nothing special.  The coolest freebees are always inside the convention - there are a ton of cool, free things to grab.  And the indy comic artists are always a favorite of mine.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 07:49:30 PM »

Anyone who charges money to take a photo is an idiot, as well as an autograph unless it's a couple bucks for the picture they supply.  I've met many celebs who will go out of their way to spend time with fans and do photos and sign things for free.  Don Cherry, Iron Maiden, and Roddy Piper, Sgt. Slaughter(shared a cab and flight with him after the N.O. convention) being the most note worthy.  I've also seen people get chased because they snapped a picture while in line and not paid for it.  I've been shuned by Thurman Thomas former NFL great  because I didn't want to pay for his autograph(was once a big fan of his)  mean while Bruce Smith also NFL great was next to him and chatted and signed willingly and free of charge.  Thomas left early leaving alot of fans without even a glimps of him.  (wasn't making enough money I guess) while Smith stayed until the last person was through.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!