JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: G.I. Joe Season 1 Part 1 - July 21st  (Read 2958 times)

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Season 1 Part 1 - July 21st
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:39:47 PM »

G.I. Joe - A Real American Hero: Season 1, Part 1 is going to be available as a 4-DVD set, running approximately 700 minutes, starting on July 21st. That's a wee bit after the 4th of July celebration, but a better schedule for tying it in with the new film. Video will be full frame, and audio in English, but no other specs or pricing info is available yet. Nor is package art, but stay tuned for that.

As for bonus material: well, let's just say that the info provided to retailers makes it look like Shout! has some VERY ambitious plans for the extras on this collection (as they do for Transformers, of course). However, it's very clear that nothing mentioned there is actually set in stone thus far.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/GI-Joe ... rt-1/11518

Hopefully they make it to the point of releasing the second half of season 2  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Season 1 Part 1 - July 21st
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 02:20:33 PM »

Can't Wait. I'm not missing it this time!!!
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »

Yeah I am definitely getting these. I reckon they will have to be cheaper than the seriously overpriced Rhino ones. I mean, I repeatedly passed the old DVDs and left them because at retail they were nearly twice what I was willing to pay. Once they went out of print I just assumed I'd never see them again.

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »

Season 1 PART 1?  So there's going to be a part 2 to season 1?  That seems to be the latest trend in DVDs...  Release one season over multiple parts so you end up paying $60+ for one season.

That's going to make buying them harder...  but I'll probably give in  :-

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »

Quote from: "Canuklehead"
Season 1 PART 1?  So there's going to be a part 2 to season 1?  That seems to be the latest trend in DVDs...  Release one season over multiple parts so you end up paying $60+ for one season.

That's going to make buying them harder...  but I'll probably give in  :-

There's 27 Episodes in Part 1 of Season 1.
Todays cartoons consist of 16 episodes in one entire season. So, splitting it up makes perfect sense to me - otherwise it would be too expensive for most people to purchase the entire 1st season at once.

Now to decide if I want to sell off my Joe DVDs.

Kronz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »

And they did release them in segmented seasons before, but at least back in Oregon where I was when they came out, they were $60 per set. So it sounds like we can expect them to be about half as much they were in the hands of Rhino. As an avid music collector I have to deal with Rhino products constantly getting deleted and getting inflated well over their original (already high) msrp. When the first DVD sets came out, GI Joe was still somewhat comatose, I doubt they made even a small fraction of what will be produced with movie promo behind it.

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 06:57:51 PM »

I never realized how many episodes there were in season 1!  Not counting the mini-series' there were 54 episodes!! 

Ok, then splitting them into two parts doesn't seem so bad... 

I'm still a little bitter from Battlestar Galactica making me buy seasons two parts at a time.  :lol:

Inzane

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »

I'm a little torn on hearing this news.

On the one hand, I'm glad I may have a chance to get the last 15 episodes of Season 2.   

However on the other hand I JUST forked out for the Season 1 Part 1 and Season 1 Part 2 Rhino DVD sets on Ebay over the last few weeks.  (I already owned Season 2 Part 1 from it's original retail release several years ago).  So part of me wants to go "Grrrrrr.....".

Kronz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:15:57 PM »

I'd say the Rhino edition of the 1987 movie is still worth shelling out for though, I wouldn't be surprised if when it gets reissued its features will be stripped. The Rhino DVD has all (or nearly all) of the hilarious PSAs from the first two seasons. I got scammed trying to buy it on ebay last year so I gave up but managed to get a dvd-r to hold me over. The movie is really crappy but I can't help but love the Roadblock and Cobra Commander sequences. Probably my favorite interactions throughout the whole Sunbow continuity.

I wonder, does Hasbro have the rights to put the Dic series back in print? That one passed me by even as it was new, I had no idea there was a Python Patrol in cartoon form until last year!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:21:51 PM »

I am not forking over any money unless both full Sunbow seasons are released.   Hopefully, the DIC seasons are released as well.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 09:09:48 PM »