JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Hasbro Answers Our November Questions  (Read 11614 times)

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
Re: Hasbro Answers Our November Questions
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 10:50:34 PM »

Quote from: "Jay"
Quote from: "SnakeEyesOnAPlane"
If they took Cobra Trooper legs, Snow Job's body, Croc Master's arms, and Flint's head, coloured it black with neon fuchsia highlights, gave it a jetpack and called it "Crazylegs," what would it be?  A crappy figure named after the character of Crazylegs and has no connection to the character/original figure outside of the name.
Well the colors would be moderately close to Crazylegs' Night Force colors, and neon fuschia is close enough to the v1's bright red. A jetpack can works every bit as well as a parachute for aerial insertions.
So yeah, he'd work okay as Crazylegs.

And I really don't see how Hasbro "missed the mark" with Footloose. The original was an infantry trooper according to 1985. The new one is an infantry trooper according to 2009. Seems like he's perfectly in tune with the spirit of the original.
By that rationale, maybe they should stop making Joes at all since Corps figures are close enough. ::)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 10:58:23 PM »

By that rationale, maybe they should stop making Joes at all since Corps figures are close enough. ::)
No, my point was that Hasbro can do what they want with their license, and if they want to update toys instead of just reusing designs that are over 20 years outdated, they can. And a Reactive armored Crazylegs with a jetpack will be every bit as valid a Crazylegs as the original 1986 toy.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 11:04:37 PM »

Isn't Crazy Legs dead?  Wouldn't that imply it would be a different character  ::)

At like this batch of answers - because they are actually answers!
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 11:09:02 PM »

No, my point was that Hasbro can do what they want with their license, and if they want to update toys instead of just reusing designs that are over 20 years outdated, they can. And a Reactive armored Crazylegs with a jetpack will be every bit as valid a Crazylegs as the original 1986 toy.
True, but there is a difference between updating and straight-up making a new character altogether and giving it a classic name, you know what I mean?  I'm hoping that give Crazylegs the PoC Beachhead treatment.  Man, oh man, that guy looks great. ;D
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 11:44:15 PM »

True, but there is a difference between updating and straight-up making a new character altogether and giving it a classic name, you know what I mean?  I'm hoping that give Crazylegs the PoC Beachhead treatment.  Man, oh man, that guy looks great. ;D
Yes, but the comparison given was ROC Footloose, who while not as he looked in 1985, is a valid update in the spirit of the original.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 12:45:35 AM »

Okay guys, I think we can move on.
Updated!

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 08:02:27 AM »

I don't mind ROC updates to figures. I say go for it. I tthink people got annoyed with footloose because it seemed hasbro was indicating that footloose would be a release in the classic style looking like the original footloose. So fans interested in that classic line felt like the rug was pulled out from under them. Jay, you may like the new footloose, and that's cool, but I think you can understand where us classic fans are coming from. So when we see an answer to the question indicating Crazylegs and SAW Viper, the implication is a classic version. Not a reimagining or a new uniform for said character.

In the end I think there's room for both. But given the classic stuff has been pushed aside (understandably so) for the movie stuff, I asked the question because it would be nice to see some classic stuff mixed in for those of us who like it. :)

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 08:58:22 AM »

Quote from: "darth cujo"
I tthink people got annoyed with footloose because it seemed hasbro was indicating that footloose would be a release in the classic style looking like the original footloose.
Really? Where was this said?

I pretty much knew this was going to be a whole set of reimaginings based only on femmeTone's presence.

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 10:29:36 AM »

Quote from: "darth cujo"
I tthink people got annoyed with footloose because it seemed hasbro was indicating that footloose would be a release in the classic style looking like the original footloose.
Really? Where was this said?

I pretty much knew this was going to be a whole set of reimaginings based only on femmeTone's presence.

I don't know specifically, but I thought there was a Q&A asking if there would be more classic joes coming sometime when ROC was kicking into gear, and Hasbro indicated Footloose. I don't have the time to go scouring the past Q&A's to verify, but suffice to say at least a portion of the collecting community had the impression of a classic style Footloose coming and there was a misunderstanding along the way. Who was wrong or right is irrelevent. The point is classic fans had their hopes up and were disappointed.

As I said it would be nice if there was a little bit of everything for everyone.

Bandalero

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 01:51:58 PM »

oh yeah, I had the impression that there was a classic-style Footloose on the horizon - 1 step closer to completing my modern-era 1985 display - then we got THAT...

Hasbro can call him whatever they want, it's their licensce, but personally THAT ain't Footloose - not even remotely. 

Not saying that Footloose is a fav of mine, but I'm curious Jay - who's your favourite character/fig from back in the day?

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 06:48:32 PM »

Quote from: "Bandalero"
Hasbro can call him whatever they want, it's their licensce, but personally THAT ain't Footloose - not even remotely. 
Really? He's got the mustache, the short sleeves, the helmet and the standard infantryman look. While he's not looking like he did in 1985, he's definitely got Footloose's trademark characteristics.
Would you prefer they tried to emulate the Battle Rangers Footloose look?
http://www.brokenarrowtoys.com/cast%20f ... se/FL1.jpg

Not saying that Footloose is a fav of mine, but I'm curious Jay - who's your favourite character/fig from back in the day?
I've got soft spots for Mainframe (whose 25th Anniversary figure majestically SUCKED, gimme a ROC/Resolute-style modern style version ASAP Hasbro!) and Sci-Fi, but my favorite ones from my youth are definitely Tomax, Xamot and the Crimson Guard, my first Cobras.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 10:28:28 PM »

If you want to discuss Footloose, start a new thread about it. This thread has been derailed long enough.
Updated!