JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: The movie "Avatar"  (Read 3334 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
The movie "Avatar"
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:01:24 AM »

Just want to say that I went to the movies today in a very long time and I wasn't disappointed.

Avatar was by all means a movie that delivered just about everything, including very ultra believable futuristic military technology, ships and weaponry. I will not spoil it for those that didn't see it and are going to. Just go see it for yourselves, even if it's not the 3D screening it is still amazing. Seeing is believing  :wink:.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
2 + 2 = 22

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: The movie "Avatar"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:07:34 AM »

I am likley getting old, but I found the story very unoriginal.  The effects were great, I just felt the story has already been told in a Disney movie.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »

I have no urge to see it. Either at home, nor in the theatre.

I'm growing tired of movies that depend 100% on it's CGI.

Strange.

I'm sure one day I will see it, but it's not on my immediate plans to do so. Superman 3 is on my immediate plans.... which is sad in itself.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike?"
I have no urge to see it. Either at home, nor in the theatre.

I'm growing tired of movies that depend 100% on it's CGI.

Strange.

I'm sure one day I will see it, but it's not on my immediate plans to do so. Superman 3 is on my immediate plans.... which is sad in itself.

Maybe that's because a lot of the movies out there are cheaply done to rip us off with overdone and surrealistic special effects that contribute very little to the story or the action.

I felt that the special effects were a necessity to enjoy this movie.

The space ships sets however were not even CGI, and I thought that they made ALIEN, ALIENS or STARSHIP TROOPERS look like things of yesterday's.

When you do end up seeing it one day, I'd want to know what you thought of it....even if it means reopening this tread after a few months or years... :lol:

By the way I'm a fan of the four Superman movies ( I'm not counting Superman returns here ). The movie is obviously slapstick by several moments, compliments of Richard Pryor who's actually quite amuzing to see in this one. And The make up special effects are actually quite impressive for the time.
2 + 2 = 22

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »

Mike - I'm feeling the way it sounds like you do.  Nothing really hits me anymore.

I know now why my Dad knew that Luke was Darth's son after Star Wars.  To take a quote from Larry Hama's FB profile:
"Originality is nothing but judicious imitation."
Voltaire

But the CGI was great indeed.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »

You've GOT to see it in 3-D.
Haven't seen a movie that impressed me that much in a while.
Didn't care for the story, but the visual imagery was a spectacle.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 07:23:09 PM »

Quote from: "pdaat"
Mike - I'm feeling the way it sounds like you do.  Nothing really hits me anymore.

I know now why my Dad knew that Luke was Darth's son after Star Wars.  To take a quote from Larry Hama's FB profile:
Voltaire

WHOA! Wait a minute! Darth Vader is Luke's father!! well thanks mr. movie wrecker. please use spoiler alerts.....  :shifty:

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »

Quote from: "B"

Voltaire

WHOA! Wait a minute! Darth Vader is Luke's father!! well thanks mr. movie wrecker. please use spoiler alerts.....  :shifty:. There's no mystery anymore since Lucas released the 3 prequels that reveal all on who is really who  :lol:
2 + 2 = 22

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 04:44:20 AM »

Quote from: "B"

Voltaire

Gakk!  Sorry.  I guess I shouldn't mention that the midichlorians are Anakin's father............from a certain point of view.

WHOA! Wait a minute! Darth Vader is Luke's father!! well thanks mr. movie wrecker. please use spoiler alerts.....  :shifty:

silentdusty

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »

Saw it over the weekend. I agree it's not overly original, but visually, it's quite stunning, the CG is much better than anything that Lucas put out in the 'new' trilogy, and actually, dare I say it, the story while again not overly original, is more interesting than the 'new' trilogy. It was a good movie, worth my 13 bucks.
Silent Dusty

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 09:13:21 PM »

Gakk!  Sorry.  I guess I shouldn't mention that the midichlorians are Anakin's father............from a certain point of view.

SPOILER ALERT! This also means of course that the Midichlorians are Luke's Grandfather...from another point of view  :).
2 + 2 = 22

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 06:20:16 AM »

I see its passed $1 billion world-wide. Is that because of the ticket prices or is everyone seeing it. I'll be honest I shocked that it surpassed the Dark Knight. Must be more popular then I thought but I never heard of it before.