JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: G.I. Joe Cartoon (DIC Series)  (Read 7546 times)

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Cartoon (DIC Series)
« on: November 09, 2010, 04:37:08 PM »

I just received a copy of the DIC series that I purchased from the internet.  The copy I bought looks like it is a mixture of AVI's and VHS recordings.  The guy I bought it from designed a box and DVD labels (even though the discs are labelled wrong) and sold it at a reasonable price ($15 USD shipping included from Arizona to Ontario).

I started watching it last night, and the sound and picture are poor on some episodes, but some are not too bad. I had a feeling it would be like this when I bought it.  I feel I got value for my money when I can get all 44 episodes of the DIC series.  Hopefully Hasbro will come out with a deluxe version soon.

When these were originally on television, I didn't have cable, so I only ever got to watch a couple episodes when the weather was clear and I could get TV signal from Fox in Buffalo.  I know they went cheap on the animation, and "cartoony" on some of the scenes (ie: an electrical plug exploding on Cobra Commander, then he's covered in soot and smoke) but they did develop the storyline on some of the characters (ie: Ambush's background with Range Viper Evy).

I was wondering what other board members thought about the DIC series.  Was it valuable to the Joe Universe or was it a waste of time?

Interesting side note Sci-Fi was voiced by the guy who played Killer Carlson in Slapshot and Ambush was voiced by Walter Koenig's son.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Cartoon (DIC Series)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »

I don't mean to be offensive or rude, but you have bought a pirated copy of those cartoons. As someone who works as a storyboard artist in the animation industry, video piracy impacts my livelihood.
Trust me when I say that I get paid LESS now than in years past to do work for animated cartoons, in part due to studios trying to cover their losses from video piracy.

My admonishment is that if/when legitimate pressings of these cartoons come out on DVD, you will pay not much more for better quality copies and NOT be supporting something that takes money away from someone like myself--so, really was it that smart a buy?

You've paid $15 for garbage to a thief.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »

Speaking as a mod, this thread is a tough call. At best, it can be a lively and intellectual debate about the validity of piracy in the name of acquiring a piece of the history of GI Joe that we may never be able to buy legally. At worst, it can break down into name calling and the two sides sticking to their argument without giving any ground.

I'm okay leaving this thread open but watching it. The first sign of disrespect, it gets locked.
Updated!

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »

I have only ever seen a couple of the DIC episodes - and the characters were too over the top for my taste.
I think I might have this opinion, because I first started with the Joe comics then moved to the cartoons, but I really did like the Sunbow ones.
As for piracy - stealing is wrong, but it is a tough call.  I had boot legged video copies of the original Joe series and my friends in High School use to trade VHS copies of the Simpsons - technically all piracy.  However I now own 2 sets of the Joe series on DVD, and I am still forking out $40 a pop when new seasons of the simpsons are released.  I don't think I would of bought any of the DVD's if I got charged with theft years before it was possible to purchase the items on DVD.

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »

being someone that doesnt really care for piracy myself, i think i would buy this in bootleg just for the following 2 reasons, 1) who knows if it will even be put on dvd, the RHINO company never relesed it, it is not in the SHOUT series or the footlocker (that i know of). 2) i have never seen any of the DIC episodes.
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:37:40 PM »

Quote from: "Scramble"
Speaking as a mod, this thread is a tough call. At best, it can be a lively and intellectual debate about the validity of piracy in the name of acquiring a piece of the history of GI Joe that we may never be able to buy legally. At worst, it can break down into name calling and the two sides sticking to their argument without giving any ground.

I'm okay leaving this thread open but watching it. The first sign of disrespect, it gets locked.

Well, there's really no rational justification is there?
Its like trying to justify stealing a prototype of a figure that is never going to be made--it still abetting a theft.  
Just because its consumable doesn't make it legitimate to consume--there's no entitlement in this.

I don't LIKE brow-beating people about this......but its a clear and obvious hypocrisy with people when they complain about the costs of DVDs and ticket prices for movies in theatres, and in the same breath declare they buy a pirate copy of the stuff. Even making the claim that buying a pirate copy is just a precursor to buying a legitimate copy makes little sense, because the actions of supporting piracy exacerbate the rising costs of DVDs--so doing this is shooting oneself in the foot. If a legit copy is $30 ( for example), spending $15 for a pirated crap copy means you just spent $45 to end up with one GOOD copy--and for material you can likely "sample" previews of on Youtube anyway--to see if you like it in the first place! The need to preview isn't even a justification either, because one can buy a legit copy and if they do not like it they can freely sell it to someone else.

And then there is the matter of the livelihood of professionals in the biz being affected.
When I do a storyboard nowadays, I get paid on average about $1000 LESS than I did 15 years ago. This isn't a case of the losses trickling down to minuscule amounts across the boards--studio just flat out refuse to take losses when they can avoid it, and they short-change budgets where they can to make sure things like piracy do not affect their bottom lines. So it in turn affect MY bottom-line, and believe me, I've asked why the 'boarding gigs pay out less these days. Answer is always the same: studio want need to cut costs and losses from stuff like video piracy. These kinds of "claw backs" hit all over the biz, and at all levels,  from what I'm told--so you can just imagine the scale of the dollars involved.

Its kind of puts a different spin on it when there are voices out there that think they can justify "stealing" from some "face-less" corporation, but nope-----this time, on this occasion, its a fellow board member and collector with a real stake in this.
No-one has made that justification in this discussion, YET.........and I hope it doesn't get made. The lesson that needs to be shared is that inevitably in this sort of this, you can follow the path along to a point and it WILL impact someone....and probably someone closer to you than you might think.
Its not an argument about moral superiority, or a guilt trip.....or the inanity about some DVDs some people would like to see not being available in legitimate form.........its about something clearly wrong.

It is easy to shrug it off and say that one doesn't give a spit.
But someone in this crowd DOES (me), and I'd ask that anyone of a mind to do this to give a fellow collector and hobbyist the due consideration that they would demand for themselves if they were looking at something being taken from them.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 11:22:32 PM »

umm Im just going to totally dodge the piracy thing and say that the DIC cartoon is one of the main reasons I loved the toys as a kid.  Its what gave the toys personality and names and voices to the toys.  An example is when I play joes with my niece and nephew, since theres no cartoons they have no clue who the toys are and how they should act, they can use the imagination of course and make up their own personalities but its cool to have a cartoon to accompany the toys.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 09:05:05 AM »

Wow... I didn't expect this sort of reply.  First off I would like to apologize to Arrow.  I didn't know purchasing a bootleg/pirated copy would affect the industry so much.  Thank you for enlightening me on the impact of pirated material.  If a legitimate copy was readily available I would have bought it the first day it came out since watching it on Youtube or downloading a torrent of it is not an option for me (high speed restrictions).  I just wanted a copy so I could see some of the episodes I never got to watch, and my kids get excited when they see some of their vehicles and figures on the screen.

When I wrote this thread yesterday I was hoping it would start a discussion on the DIC series, because it is inferior to the Sunbow series, but it did have some positive points too.  I was hoping to read about peoples experiences watching the show, or what they loved or hated about the series.  When I was reading about it on the 'net, it was interesting to see who some of the voice actors were who worked on the series.

NeoDragonKnight had a great point too about how some of the characters act.  I watched an episode last night with Psyche-Out, Bullhorn and Pathfinder.  The way they interacted and their voices didn't match up to the voices I had in mind for those characters.  It changed the characters in my mind a bit and gave them more depth. 

I feel that while the DIC series is inferior to the Sunbow product, but it is still important to the G.I. Joe franchise.

I am sorry to the board members that I offended with this thread, it was never my intention.  But now I know. 

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 10:01:12 AM »

whooops I just realized I mixed up DIC with Sunbow lol.
ok for my previous post replace DIC with Sunbow, but the premise of that post still applies.  For the Dic cartoons I remember watching them and while they werent as good as the Sunbow ones, they still gave that personality to the toys though when watching, the first mini series was awesome I thought, and the reborn CC, Scoop, Alley Viper had personalities to match the toys with.  
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »

Quote from: "SnowHawk"
Wow... I didn't expect this sort of reply.  First off I would like to apologize to Arrow.  I didn't know purchasing a bootleg/pirated copy would affect the industry so much.  Thank you for enlightening me on the impact of pirated material.  If a legitimate copy was readily available I would have bought it the first day it came out since watching it on Youtube or downloading a torrent of it is not an option for me (high speed restrictions).  I just wanted a copy so I could see some of the episodes I never got to watch, and my kids get excited when they see some of their vehicles and figures on the screen.

When I wrote this thread yesterday I was hoping it would start a discussion on the DIC series, because it is inferior to the Sunbow series, but it did have some positive points too.  I was hoping to read about peoples experiences watching the show, or what they loved or hated about the series.  When I was reading about it on the 'net, it was interesting to see who some of the voice actors were who worked on the series.

NeoDragonKnight had a great point too about how some of the characters act.  I watched an episode last night with Psyche-Out, Bullhorn and Pathfinder.  The way they interacted and their voices didn't match up to the voices I had in mind for those characters.  It changed the characters in my mind a bit and gave them more depth. 

I feel that while the DIC series is inferior to the Sunbow product, but it is still important to the G.I. Joe franchise.

I am sorry to the board members that I offended with this thread, it was never my intention.  But now I know. 

Apology accepted.
Now let's put aside the nasty stuff and get back to the real reason for the thread.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 11:11:25 AM »

I have the DIC episodes saved on a hard drive some where.  The quality of them is crappy at best. 

All I remember is that Ambush and Pathfinder had a huge presence during the DIC run and that most of the replacement voices (especially the Baroness and Destro) were horrible.   Operation Dragonfire was interesting as CC was brought back. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »

I would buy the DIC series if it came out on DVD, but I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.