JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: G.I. Joe Cartoon (DIC Series)  (Read 7564 times)

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Cartoon (DIC Series)
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 12:51:33 PM »

I tried searching the net for the DiC series and all you can find is the bootlegs.  All other forums state that Hasbro has not given the rights to produce the DVDs.  So it will be a long wait.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Lurking

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »

I've seen bits and pieces, and although it doesn't resonate like the original, I'm intrigued to learn more about characters I never had or knew of, lke Ambush or Scoop. The voices I heard were awful though....
I wish it was available - I'd pick it up, or borrow it at least.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
I tried searching the net for the DiC series and all you can find is the bootlegs.  All other forums state that Hasbro has not given the rights to produce the DVDs.  So it will be a long wait.

There's a few different factors that could be at work here--one being actualownership of the series.  The negotiations to merge interests and release a series like this can take a while--because different parties want different things.
Let's be honest here, the DIC series is NOT in high demand, so that is a strike against it.

The other factor is that the actual masters of the cartoons themselves MIGHT be degraded or degrading. The DIC series was made just before the advent of DVD came around. The likelihood is that the masters for the series are still on VHS tape--as transfer to laser-disc--the higher-end format back then probably wasn't warranted. Again, this cartoon series isn't that popular. If the transfer was made to DVD at some point for archival purposes, its possible the prints are so-so in quality.
AGAIN, with the cartoon not being in demand, there's not a lot of reason to go in and clean it up for a DVD release, and running off discs of crappy prints won't help sell it anyway, right?

There's a point of diminishing returns here, because the costs and time of format transfers for the DIC Llbrary ( DIC no longer exists as a animation studio--it merged with Cookie Jar Entertainment in '08 which is the former Canadian studio Cinar.  Cookie Jar MIGHT own the DIC library now) might not be an urgent consideration for the holders of the rights to those shows. Such transfers might already be done, because the library of shows are an asset worth holding only as long as they can be used.
BTW, Cinar is, or was, one of the players behind Tetetoon which is/was more or less a show showcase for the Cinar/ Nelvanna shows.
Teletoon has a separate channel called Teletoon retro that specifically highlights older cartoons from other holders, and the Sunbow GIJOE cartoon is one of them.

So, really...........all the pieces in the puzzle are right there. The impetus is probably demand, or perceived demand for the show. If Renegades and G.I. Joe take off again.....I would think it would be VERY likely to see the DIC series--and the others like GIJOE Extreme etc.......to make a broadcast appearance again --on Retro or others--and likely packaged as DVD's not long after.

Like Mad Dog from Kelly's Heroes says: " Ya just gotta have a lil' faith , babee!".

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 01:50:02 PM »

Quote from: "grunt 4 mvp"
I've seen bits and pieces, and although it doesn't resonate like the original, I'm intrigued to learn more about characters I never had or knew of, lke Ambush or Scoop. The voices I heard were awful though....
I wish it was available - I'd pick it up, or borrow it at least.

Little inside tidbit...a number of the voice for the series were recorded in Vancouver, BC.
Kevin Hays, a local radio personality there, gave me some photocopies of the file cards for the figures, as he was doing voices for the series locally--and Hasbro had supplied the copies to give the voice talent some "background" on the characters.
If you've ever heard Vancouver radio back then, it was largely a homogenized clique of Fred Latremouille clones ( and his wife Cathy)--not the most diverse pool of voice talent to tap.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »

I actually enjoyed certain DIC episodes. I have and opened Rapid-Fire that came with a VHS tape of the Pharaoh episode (can't remember the title). That episode is actually one of the best ones. But when I say "best", keep in mind that it doesn't measure up to the best episodes of Sunbow.

Operation Dragonfire certainly comprised most of the best episodes of that run. simply because they are the only episodes that tie in with the sunbow series. While it turned its back on exploring the aftermath of the discovery of Cobra-La (refer to Sunbow's Gi joe the movie), the story did pick up from what happened to Cobra Commander at the hands of Golobulus (who was not seen or spoken of along with Cobra-La in "Dragonfire").

SPOILER ALERT: One of the other episodes that ties in well with Sunbow's universe is the one that re-introduced a very important Gi joe character. From what I can remember, the Joes are overwhelmed by cobra's threat spreading around the world, so they need to be able to meet the threat face to face on foreign grounds. They need the leader they once had, who would not be afraid to lead his men at the head of the assault, into any battlefield. When the Joes find him, he has found peace beeing retired and all. So the Joes must try to convince him to return to active duty...

EDIT: In the french dub, his codename was "The retired one". That's how the Joes call him at the beginning of the story when they go seek them.

I will definitely buy the DIC episodes as I am a collector at heart anyways and I want to own this as a set along with my Sunbow cartoons.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:27:08 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22

formbx257

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »

The only DiC episodes I remember are from Operation: Dragonfire.  It was an interesting story but the animation was cheap (in comparison to Sunbow) and poorly directed.  Still, I'd like to see an official release since it's only 44 episodes, it shouldn't cost much.
Watch "The 1980's G.I. Joe Show" on Blip.TV: http://blip.tv/formbx257
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FormBX257/295471453806030

roger dodger

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 07:17:23 PM »

I would buy the DIC series if it were released. I don't remember the series since that was around the time I stopped (shudder) being interested in GI Joe. I've since come to my senses, at great personal expense. Sigh

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »

It is funny watching the episodes and the vehicles from the second season are the neon vehicles.  I didn't get too many vehicles from that year but it is crazy seeing them Neon Orange tanks.

At least season one had the more realistic looking vehicles like the Mobile Battle Bunker, General, Retaliator, etc.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »

Neon colour vehicles?  I do not remember that. 
Lurking

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 01:01:32 PM »

I should show you a big box I have full of them.  There are colours decos that will make you blind.   I am currently purging them out my collection. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 01:36:20 PM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"

I should show you a big box I have full of them.  There are colours decos that will make you blind.   I am currently purging them out my collection. 

Spray paint does wonder for some of those turkeys Pete.

If anything is head to the curb, let me know.  :wink:
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 01:42:35 PM »

Speaking of flashy neon colours, it would only be fitting if the DIC episodes' box set came in these colours, with pink, orange and yellow disk covers.
2 + 2 = 22