JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GI Joe: Snake Eyes  (Read 7225 times)

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
GI Joe: Snake Eyes
« on: November 09, 2018, 02:40:07 PM »

So finally some news to report in the land of Joe.  The next movie, apparently titled "GI Joe: Snake Eyes" is in production.  They officially moved from pre-production to production.  Not actual filming yet, but a concrete step to get it going.

Anyone else happy to see the news?  The question now is how will they treat the character?  Will it be a reboot?  Questions, questions, questions....

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe: Snake Eyes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 03:26:12 AM »

So in what I consider unsurprising news....

Lorenzo DiBonaventura, one of the producers of GI:Joe: Snake Eyes has recently said that Ray Park is most likely out as Snake Eyes.  The movie is going to be an origin story, and we will apparently see Snake Eyes face, but he will be younger than Ray Park.  So he is most likely out due to age. 

Nothing is set in stone yet, but it seems likely this is going to be a reality.  I wonder if they will get someone "famous" or go with a new face? 

I also wonder in this modern age of cultural sensitivity if a white male, hero, lead character for an Asian clan will be problematic?

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 02:11:50 PM »

considering the shit-storm Iron Fist generated when he was cast, as a white guy, based on a white character, because of "cultural appropriation" I'd say them casting a white guy will generate a similar response.

Because *of course* white people can't be good at martial arts and, maybe, even better than some Asian people, like no white kid ever watched a Bruce Lee movie or a Jackie Chan one and took up martial arts and got good at it.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:37:50 AM »

Here is the latest rumours:

https://www.cbr.com/gi-joe-snake-eyes-movie-details-report/

Interesting idea for an origin.  Although I agree with the posts as to why his original origin isn't being used?  It is a great origin that translates well to any medium, and I think the producers are forgetting it is supposed to be part of a : military" universe, not just a martial arts film.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 01:53:25 PM »

you wanna do a Snake Eyes origin movie, all ya gotta do is adapt the Origin of Snake Eyes from the comics and update the references from 'Nam to Afghanistan and you're golden. Seriously wonder what's wrong with Hollywood sometimes.

Prologue: a battle betwixt the Joes and Cobra, Storm Shadow on the Cobra side. His sleeve gets torn, showing his Arishikage tattoo, which Scarlett sees.

Roll title sequence.

Act 1: Scarlett digs into Snake's background. Finds he was in a USASF squad in Afghanistan. Stalker tells her about it from his POV as they walk into a group of Taliban in the 'jungle' of the Helmand river "Green Zone"; Saperstein, Wade Collins and Ramone get shot up. Stalker, Snakes and Stormy get out. They call in a Black Hawk pick-up and get attacked as the helo comes in. First time Stalker sees 'Tommy' has the tatt.

Act 2: Hawk tells them how he met Snake Eyes as he has to break the news about Snake's family when he comes home injured from the ambush. We then cut to Snake's meeting Soft Master in Spanish Harlem, discussing the Hard Master's death. Fade to flashbacks of Snake's ninja training and how he's equal to Stormy. Hard Master's assassination, Stormy on the run.

Act 3. Stalker tells Scarlett how he and Hawk recruited Snake's from his cabin in the woods. She tells how she met Snake's at a Joe hand-to-hand refresher and knew he was a master. Stormy and Snake's clash in Harlem. Foot chase to the El train. Confrontation on the train top. Stormy vanishes as Scarlett and Stalker arrive. Stormy tells Snake's in the confrontation he didn't kill Hard Master and that he's only in Cobra to find the killer.

Mid credits scene. Cobra Commander is seen in the past, hiring Zartan to kill Snake's.

Stinger: Soft Master driving into a nice little town called Springfield...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 06:10:34 PM »

Hopefully once a trailer is released, I may get excited about this. Otherwise, I am not expecting much with Lorenzo still involved in the GI JOE movies.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 10:01:48 AM »

Where's my Short-Fuze origin movie eh?

I've always HATED the whole ninja thing with GI Joe. Storm Shadow was enough. Snake Eyes still packed an UZI at least, Quick Kick was funny in the TV series and I let Jinx pass since the Joes didn't have a real ninja yet. Budo was the start of a long line of BS ninja/kung-fu/whatever characters that had no business in a military toy line. "Oh Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes are popular! Lets do a whole damn ninja team since BF2000 cratered so badly." It was just like what Star Wars is doing with Boba Fett now. He looked cool. "Shit son, let's give him his own TV series and movie to cash in and wreck the mysterious coolness that people liked in the first place." At least Lucas was above that crap.

Considering how this movie is likely to be pretty much a martial arts film, if it's successful enough to spawn sequels, imagine how not GI Joe the future of the franchise will end up. Also, how out of character is this origin film going to be for the franchise. The whole point of GI Joe:ARAH was that it was a TEAM. Can't they take the characters they have and make a decent team movie? I see Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li all over again sadly.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 12:29:36 PM »

Totally agree with Zenith27 on the Boba Fett comment.
Being a ninja in a joe movie is fine for one character (Snake eyes) but it should be in addition to his commando skills. I think they should definately focus on some sort of  team mission like Sundance mentioned. More of a wartime action movie and no politics.

just my two cents.