JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: State of GI Joe and Joecanuck.  (Read 5611 times)

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
State of GI Joe and Joecanuck.
« on: August 02, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »

So I figured I would start a thread just to see how things are going.

Obviously GI Joe is at one of it's lowest points in the history of the brand.  No toyline, no show, and talk of another movie possibly being worked on but no signs of anything happening.  Hell not even a SDCC exclusive toy like the last few years.  Thankfully the comics are still going, but that seems to be all there is right now.

As for Joecanuck, well I think we (those of us still checking in) can safely say that it is the same here.  I personally still check in from time to time, but I no longer check daily like I used  up until earlier this year.  I miss the old days of course, but I understand why the site has gone so quiet.

I would love it if Hasbro could pull a surprise like they just did with a new round of G1 reissues for the transformer line, on old school packaging.  Do the same thing with GI Joe, even though most of the ARAH molds are gone.  It would be nice, but I know it won't happen due to lack of support, and the lack of interest in selling"war" toys.  Especially without a corresponding media tie-in.

Anyway, anyone still out there who wants to chime in with an opinion?

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: State of GI Joe and Joecanuck.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 02:13:52 PM »

I'm not even writing my fan-fic any more. I got carried away with two games on my tablet most of last year and this year I've started writing a superhero story that's a pastiche of the DC universe. (Although even that's been backburnered for now)

I still look in daily though...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »

My love for Gi joe is not the same as it used to be. I have since focused on my main passion which is science fiction. Even if Gi joe were to resurface in the toy aisles, I wouldn't embrace it all over again. I was never a fan of what was accomplished during the modern era. And the only thing I liked which was o-ring, doesn't mean that much to me anymore.

I still look back and remember the good old days of Canadian Joe Meet and joe Canuck. Some guys in Montreal got together to form a gi joe Montreal Meet, but I don't feel like a belong there. I'm that alien to gi joe now.

Speaking of pun intended, I enjoy collectiong Kenner Aliens and Neca Aliens these days.

I also go to shows held in Mississauga Ontario, and connect often again with Neodragon Knight and Dodge822, longtime friends since joecanuck. In Montreal, I'm still in touch with Snake Eyes On a Plane.

2 + 2 = 22

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »

I figured I would give it a week to see the responses, and I'm currently in Vancouver for another week, and I am saddened but not surprised.

3!!  3 of us, all longtime members, are all that seems to be left keeping the lights on.  I'm sure there are a bunch of lurker members still hanging out, but it really is crazy to see how far things have gone down the rabbit hole.

Oh well, until something happens I will keep checking in from time to time.

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 05:03:11 AM »

I'm still here! Why this site has such harsh password rules I'll never know. :D

I've been more interested in the current Transformers offerings the past couple years. TF is in a second golden age at the moment with all the G1 homages, Devastator, Predaking, Sixshot. Other than the original series, everyone's getting some love. Hell, they redid Abominus! Whod'a thought!?

I posted back in June(?) about o-ring prices since I thought I'd look into filling a couple hole in my SA collection. The vintage stuff is SO expensive now even compared to 5 years ago! Also, there's nothing on CL locally other than the usual people looking for $40 for an old Gung-Ho with paint wear and no weapons.

I keep an eye out though. It's too big a brand to let die but I guess the o-ring renaissance has come and passed and won't likely come again much to my dismay.

kurt_eh

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 12:51:09 AM »

Speaking of o-rings, is there a Canadian distributor for the tatoo-gun o-rings?