JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: HI$$TANK.COM  (Read 34143 times)

Pollinosis

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: HI$$TANK.COM
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 07:24:06 PM »

Well. That explains why they deleted one of my threads a while ago.

I sent a pm to an admin and was ignored. Now I know why. What a shameful policy.

I created a thread in the G.I. Joe News and Rumors section last night. This thread was announcing the fact that issue 4 of the JoeCanuck newsletter had just been released. My thread no longer seems to be on the website.

Do you know what's going on? I don't see why it would have been deleted. A very similar thread was created about issue 3. It was even on the front page if I remember correctly.

Do threads delete themselves? I'm confused.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

wudstar

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 12:04:31 AM »

EDIT - No links to that site, sorry. (Mike)

Oops!  Sorry, I was typing angry

Wudstar

jamarmiller

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bloodforthebaron.com
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 03:00:55 AM »

I posted this on BLoodforthebaron.com , for what its worth you got our backs on this

They got great news but a lot of crap goes on over there.

In the beginning they would take other sites news and pictures and post it on thiers as their own and not give credit.

stuff like this makes me not ever want to go there again
LONG LIVE THE RED SHADOWS

Paul Grant

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.actionfigurechecklist.com
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 09:09:43 AM »

Those "Action figure news" sites are businesses, made by people who are most likely 'fans', but they're not really 'hobby sites' that someone threw together for fun.  so I can understand where they're coming from.  but I wonder when a 'fan' submits news, are they compensated for the content they're providing which in turn generates revenue for the business.

I think a lot of these sites are owned by the same guy or company.  Looks like they have the same sponsors, and affiliate links on them.  Unless they're on the same affiliate network.  I wonder how much money these action figure news sites can make anyway.  My google ads make about 25 cents a day lol.

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 12:03:19 AM »

Quote from: "Paul Grant"
Those "Action figure news" sites are businesses, made by people who are most likely 'fans', but they're not really 'hobby sites' that someone threw together for fun.  so I can understand where they're coming from.  but I wonder when a 'fan' submits news, are they compensated for the content they're providing which in turn generates revenue for the business.

Thing is, that site and this site offer two completely different things.  This site wouldn't be stealing visitors away from them - their visitors would still have gone there for news.  Whether it's a business or not, they're not in danger of losing any visitors to Joecanuck - they're providing two completely different services. 

Ironically, by acting like asses, they'll probably lose more visitors now than they would have if they had allowed the link.  Or maybe that's poetic justice...

FastFord58

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »

The plot thickens? This is a post made at the aforementioned site...no links provided  :cobra:

Hey Everyone,

I was alerted to some things that were posted here and around the net today regarding links to other sites. I would like to clarify things to our members so that no confusion occurs as to whats allowed and why.

We do not allow threads to be started solely for the purpose of promoting any website, contest, store etc. This is done for several reasons, and is done on TFW2005.com as well. The reasons are as follows.

This is a community, we are trying to build a place where folks can come and enjoy the content and fellow fans here. If threads exist solely for the fact of sending them elsewhere, that is counter productive. That's a semi-selfish point of view, but part of community building IMO.

However, we understand that there is a world, and Joe fandom, outside of Hisstank. So, in order to balance out the development of the Hisstank community with this fact, the way we encourage others to promote their sites/stores/etc, is to put links to them in their signatures. By posting in threads constructively, properly, and often, you are able to alert the fans to your sites and projects, it's a free billboard. This is allowed for other Joe sites, other non-Joe sites, or stores. That gets them exposure, and our community grows with the postings.

There is a stipulation here which I think is the cause of all the drama, sponsors. Fans may start threads discussing the sponsors which help support this site. Since they are kind enough to do this, we allow the extra "pimping" by them or for them in the form of threads.

I hope that helps clear things up. If folks still don't dig it, then there isn't much I can say or do. But thems the rules.

Later!

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 05:41:03 PM »

I'm surprised it took that long to get back to them.
Updated!

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 06:00:32 PM »

I am sure it got back to them sooner than that, but it took them this long to come up with the above "clarification of rules"

silentdusty

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »

Well guys, this certainly has caused an uproar against "Insert Evil GI Joe Related Forum Here" :cobra: JBL has a thread against them, Joecustom's won't link them anymore, and even JoeDios has started a thread about it. I think it's time somebody got off their high horses.
Silent Dusty

jamarmiller

• View Profile
    • http://www.bloodforthebaron.com
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 06:36:36 PM »

its good to see the fan community coming together on this

can you post a link to the other sites threads I want to throw my support
LONG LIVE THE RED SHADOWS

Lt Storm

• View Profile
    • http://canadaseliteheadquarters.com/
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »

I'm really impressed by the rally of support, a community coming together.  I saw the news post on joecustoms,

http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12369

found the one on joedios

http://www.joedios.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3143
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 07:48:10 PM by Lt Storm »
When life gives you lemons...trade them in for oranges, they are much better for you.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 07:59:30 PM »

Community:     com?mu?ni?ty (noun)

1: a unified body of individuals: as a: state , commonwealth b: the people with common interests living in a particular area ; broadly : the area itself c: an interacting population of various kinds of individuals (as species) in a common location d: a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society e: a group linked by a common policy f: a body of persons or nations having a common history or common social, economic, and political interests g: a body of persons of common interests scattered through a larger society

2: society at large

3 a: joint ownership or participation b: common character : likeness c: social activity : fellowship d: a social state or condition

Just sayin'.

Anyway, a quick search, and I've found all these sites signed up to boycott Hi$$Tank so far.

I encourage all of you to sign up to each site, thank them for their support in this, and even join in a few discussions on their boards! After all, us Joe Fans are ALL a community, right?

Army4One.com
BloodForTheBaron.com
JoeCanuck.com
JoeBattleLines.com
JoeCustoms.com
JoeDios.com

YoJoe would be the ultimate backer in this.... I think I need to send someone an email. 
Who knows what Monday may bring.

:shifty:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 06:11:19 AM by Anonymous »