JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Time to start planning?  (Read 18381 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Time to start planning?
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2006, 04:13:21 PM »

Quote from: ""Raptor""
Actually man, I not sensing a lot of love for the meet this year. Is anyone actually interested in going?

If we don't see a lot more love on these here pages, I wouldn't be surprised if mike calls it off...

-  :yojoe:  :chicken:

Well that would just plain old suck. I don't know how were suppose to show more love for the topic. Right now there isn't a lot of G.I.Joe talk going on in this message board as is, so should Mike stop selling them at his store? I hope not.

I think the problem is the product itself is a little stagnant. Without a lot of new product coming out and only on line, there isn't much fun in the "thrill of the hunt". Sure I heard the rumor that Toys R Us (U.S.A.) are starting to carry the DTC line, but will we get looked over again?

Then there is all the delays from the MC group. They only just announced the location for the Con, New Orleans and that is after so many people has said it was a good idea not to have it there after they announced it was going to be there at first but due to the hurricane they had to cancel that location. I think that was a bad move of their part. Plus I haven't heard anything about this years free figure for members and the 2 figure packs they keep talking about are taking forever for us to a) see test shots of, b)place an order for them.

Personally I think all these negatives are really starting to hurt Joe, so we need something positive to keep our own interest in the line alive. That's why our own Joe Canuck meeting is important. Sure it's small and under a bowling alley in a hall the is possibly haunted, but at least it is something we can look forward to. It just feels to me like G.I.Joe is teetering and could go either way but with the 25th anniversary of ARAH approaching I hope it can at least make it to that milestone before Hasbro packs it up for who knows how long.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Time to start planning?
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2006, 11:07:48 AM »

Tina and I are working on our plan. We should be making it afterall.
Updated!

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Time to start planning?
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2006, 01:45:51 PM »

I've gotta comment on this, but I don't have the time right now to make a worthwhile post.

Here's some 'briefs' on it:

1. I'm seeing next to NO interest for the Meet this year - online AND in the store.
2. I'm considering moving my store next door to a much bigger place - IF I do that, I highly doubt I'll do the meet as this would happen in the next few months.
3. I'm burnt out. Honestly, I spend any spare time I have at home working on things/catching up on shows, and spending time with Denise.
4. I have plans for another 'exclusive custom' figure this year - and no time to really do it (or the parts I need).
5. Lack of dealers. You guys seem to like the non-toyshow way this meet goes, and so do I. But let's face it - most dealers DON'T care for it - they want the money and don't care for the hobby. I've had TWO people that deal in Joe tell me flat out - "If you do a 'real' toy show, then I'm in."

Let's see....... can I think of another reason? Yes - our own counrty doesn't supply us with any Joes - Sigma Six or not. Plus, Toy Fair is THIS Sunday..... and I'm not looking forward to visiting the Hasbro booth - heck, I may just skip it.

Look at that....... I wrote more than I thought I was going to!?

Mike

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
Time to start planning?
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2006, 09:36:05 AM »

How about this...

We'll do it like we did the first year. (and I mean the first year). Whoever wants to meet up will drive down. We'll hang around the shop for a bit, then go out for dinner after Mike closes up.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Time to start planning?
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2006, 11:18:45 AM »

That's all I need. I'd miss the Joe vs Cobra wrestling, but mainly I'm there to chill with you guys.
Updated!

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Time to start planning?
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2006, 11:26:07 AM »

Quote from: ""Jon S.""
How about this...

We'll do it like we did the first year. (and I mean the first year). Whoever wants to meet up will drive down. We'll hang around the shop for a bit, then go out for dinner after Mike closes up.

You know.... you don't need a 'Joe Meet' to do that. ;-)

Give me until after Toy Fair guys.

I've always said I don't care if the meet makes money, but between the meet and the hosting of the site, I also don't want to lose money.

The biggest thing for me is the figure that I had in mind to do..... but I need someone with casting skills to do about 30-50 of the heads for me.
Raps has the bodies I need, and I'm SURE I have the weapons. :-)

Mike

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
Time to start planning?
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2006, 12:40:55 PM »

It would be a shame if we didn't get together.  If anything how about for pizza and wings at a bar?  I really enjoyed meeting everyone last year.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Time to start planning?
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2006, 01:39:28 PM »

Unfortunatly I would have to pass on the evening meeting as I have to help a friend run a fund raiser that evening. I was going to stay at our meet until 6:00 and then head out.  :(
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
Time to start planning?
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2006, 01:45:15 PM »

It would be a shame if we didn't get together. If anything how about for pizza and wings at a bar? I really enjoyed meeting everyone last year.

Yes! I think the #1 best part of meeting up is getting to hang out with people who you can talk Joe with. The #2 is getting to put faces to all the names on JoeCanuck.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Time to start planning?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2006, 12:03:22 AM »

Honestly, it this turns out to be a regular toy show, I would be turned off.  I would still go but it wouldn't be my first priority.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
Time to start planning?
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2006, 12:11:59 AM »

I'm there more for the hanging out than the toy show.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
Time to start planning?
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2006, 12:14:31 AM »

Ditto with what everyone else said. I can go to toy shows anytime here, but meetups just to hang out and buy/trade between collectors is what I look forward to with this meet.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....