JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Speed Painting comes to Hamilton!  (Read 4053 times)

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Speed Painting comes to Hamilton!
« on: April 02, 2007, 01:00:09 PM »

Speed Painting!

The idea of a GI Joe speed painting contest originated at the 2006 Montreal GI Joe convention. Looking for ways to improve the event over the previous year, and knowing a large part of collecting GI Joe is customizing them, I took a page from Games Workshop and created what ended up being the most popular event at the meet.

The idea is simple. You are given a FrankenJoe and an hour. In that time, you must take this mismatched creation and turn it into a figure we?d all want in our collections. The winner of the inaugural event, Redmao, painted his figure with an impressive camouflage, creating a jungle infantryman that was visually interesting.  The runner up, Raptor, made a cool Cobra trooper out of one of the ugliest heads in the entire line. What can you create when you?re painting down the barrel of a gun?

To register, you need simply flag down Raptor or myself, Scramble, and tell us that you?re interested in participating. It is $2 to enter, and an additional $2 for a FrankenJoe, each with a weapon custom-made by Raptor. You need only register once, and you may buy additional figures. The parts of these figures can not be swapped, and the baggies that contain them must remain sealed until the event begins.

When the start time is announced, you have one hour to complete your figure. We will update you at shrinking intervals, right down to a ten second countdown. Some paint and brushes will be provided, but you are encouraged to bring your own. You are allowed any non-electric tool, and must provide your own screw driver.

After the hour is complete, put down your brush. Don?t make us wrestle it out of your hands. You will then be given half an hour to write a biography for your creation, clearly indicating his code-name, military specialties, affiliation, and a little about him. You don?t need to format them like filecards, but it?s fun. Unlike the original Speed Painting contest, which left everything up to the contestants, this time, there?s a twist. A custom vehicle will be in attendance April 14th, the Scrapheap. To be eligible to win, every entry must be somehow associated with this vehicle; driver, engineer, gunner, etc.

All customs will be judged based on: Quality of application; Colour choice; Creativity; Clarity (does the figure look like his specialty?); and Biography. Each will be scored on five by four judges, for a total of 100 possible points per custom. The winner will be congratulated and awarded the Scrapheap!

That?s right: The winner of the Speed Painting contest takes home a custom vehicle! The much-hyped Scrapheap started as a box of random shells and a challenge. Raptor wanted to see what kind of vehicle I could piece together using a blindbox of unassociated parts. The creative process will be discussed in a serious of Scrapheap Challenge blogs starting THIS Monday in the JoeCanuck.com message boards!

We hope to see you at the Hamilton GI Joe Meet, April 14th! On top of the Speed Paint contest, there will be GI Joe wrestling, G.I. Joe : TCG, Customs on Display, Door Prizes, Dealers, a Custom Contest, and, of course, the exclusive figure this year: Shiver!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 02:41:05 PM by Scramble »
Updated!

ViperDave

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Speed Painting comes to Hamilton!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 05:12:19 PM »

I'm all over the speed painting contest Scramble! ;D And since I'm driving, I can take all my paints & supplies with me in the van! Of course I'll definitely have to remember my sealant spray & some newspaper.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Moto-Viper

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bur.st/~mviper/
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:55:18 AM »

Sweeeeet.... very nice twist on the original theme. I'll have to bum paints (obviously) but I'll make sure to bring my own brushes etc.

When you say any non electric tool, does that mean sculpting is ok?
Ich muss - Ich muss mir wieder weh tun
Ich tu mir leid, so leid
Ich muss - Ich muss mir wieder weh tun
weil nur der Schmerz mir bleibt

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »

I will not participate, but I'd love to observe!!!

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 01:31:22 PM »

Quote from: "Moto-Viper"
When you say any non electric tool, does that mean sculpting is ok?

I'm going to have to say no to sculpting. The spirit of this event is seeing what you can do with short time and no prior knowledge of the figure you'd be customizing. If I allowed sculpting, people could conceivably plot out the majority of a figure beforehand and then cover up parts that don't fit this plan.
Updated!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 04:52:09 PM »

Cool. Who's got a portable electronic stove top burner? I've got the pot and a pack of rit dye.  :shifty:

Just kidding. I know that wouldn't be allowed in the place.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 05:15:46 PM »

Actually......  :shifty:

The place does have a kitchen... and I was told that as long as it's unlocked - we're welcome to use it. But that's not paint - so no Dying your stuff.

ViperDave

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 05:41:12 PM »

In the eventuality that the kitchen is locked, I'm assuming there's somewhere that we can get water from to rinse our brushes?

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 05:43:31 PM »

Quote from: "ViperDave"
In the eventuality that the kitchen is locked, I'm assuming there's somewhere that we can get water from to rinse our brushes?

That, my friend  is why  there are such things as bathrooms. 
Zinthos.

ViperDave

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 06:09:36 PM »

Figured as much, just wanted to make sure.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 07:04:15 PM »

Quote from: "Deadshot"
That, my friend  is why  there are such things as bathrooms.   

:o Dude.... I don't even want to THINK about where you go to..... Relieve yourself of you think cleaning brushes is what a bathroom is for.  :shifty:

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 04:48:23 PM »

I'm going to pick up little cups for water so that there will be a place to clean your brushes. If you want to use good brushes, bring your own. The ones that I will bring will be 10 for a dollar specials, and may not be the best quality available.

Paint will also be available, or you my bring your own, but no spray paints or sealants. That stuff is toxic in poorly ventilated areas.

:chicken: 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 02:00:23 PM by Raptor »
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"