JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Bought something off GIJCC lately? Check your credit card statements.  (Read 15846 times)

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Bought something off GIJCC lately? Check your credit card statements.
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »

What scares me even more than this is "what other private information they have about their club members are also at risk".
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 01:28:51 PM »

What scares me even more than this is "what other private information they have about their club members are also at risk".

From what I've been reading, if you are a member you're personal info may be at risk. I have a trooper level membership and have never bought anything from their store, but apparently the username and password data was stolen as well. That gives the perpetrator access to our personal info as well as other accounts that might use the same username/password combo (paypal, other online stores, etc). I suggest everyone start changing any passwords that were identical to the Club's. Also, I logged into my club account and changed my personal info to gibberish. It may be like closing the barn door after the horses have run away, but it's better than nothing.

OB

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 02:06:56 PM »

I signed up in orlando at last year's con.  So it was april.  I've just got this bad feelling that somehow there will be confusion and I may not end up getting this year's footloose.  We'll see. 

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »

From what I've been reading, if you are a member you're personal info may be at risk. I have a trooper level membership and have never bought anything from their store, but apparently the username and password data was stolen as well. That gives the perpetrator access to our personal info as well as other accounts that might use the same username/password combo (paypal, other online stores, etc). I suggest everyone start changing any passwords that were identical to the Club's. Also, I logged into my club account and changed my personal info to gibberish. It may be like closing the barn door after the horses have run away, but it's better than nothing.

OB

This has become truth in my books.  In brief, my email with the club is a yahoo one.  Last week, I was forced by yahoo to change my password as there were unauthorized attempts to get into my account.  I haven't logged onto yahoo since January.  So who knows when the attempts were made to get into my account.  This was the first time yahoo has ever asked me to change my password.

Oh shit.  Something else just occurred to me as I was editing my response.  In late January, hotmail also forced me to change my password.  I use to use my hotmail email for the club membership back in the mid 2000s (the first Orlando one).  I changed it later to yahoo due to hotmail's spam filters.  This is also the first time ever I was forced to change my hotmail password.

I am convinced this hacker job was just more than credit card info stolen.  I suspect our IDs were stolen as well.  Sorry for the inconvenience my ass there Fun Publications.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:49:33 PM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 05:40:11 PM »

Even though it might be too late, I can't seem to change my infos on the Club's site.
It always bring back my original information.
Say no to AFA.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »

Even though it might be too late, I can't seem to change my infos on the Club's site.
It always bring back my original information.

Mat, I was able to to change my info on the Club's site to crap a couple of days ago.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »

I guess that since they're working on their site, a few things like the registration form might not work properly.
I tried to change my information and password.
Say no to AFA.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »

I didn't even think of this until Pete mentioned it (timbit given  ;)) but my someone tried to hack my hotmail account not to long ago as well. Good thing I joined the club a long time ago and they had one of my oldest passwords I ever used on their site.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »

http://generalsjoes.com/2012/03/05/hasbro-releases-official-statement-on-issues-with-fun-publications-online-security/

hasbro statement

Did anyone actually expect a response other than this? It is basically saying "its not our problem".

And its really not.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »

In this day of Corporate over reaction, I'm a little surprised by the low key response by Hasbro. 

Every corporation and their uncle seem to prostrate themselves when something goes screwy with something associated with their brand, no matter how tangental, yet Hasbro seems to be "here's the deal".

Maybe it's because it really is just a small portion of their client base that is affected, but I would love to know what kind of drama, if any, is going on between Brian and Hasbro.  No matter what they publicly say, someone from Hasbro is definitely giving Brian the "business" over this situation (not anything serious, but definitely making it known they aren't happy considering all the support they provide FP).

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »

Wow,

I just saw the reactions on some of the TF boards.  OUCH.  I know we collectors can overreact at the drop of a hat, but man they really are giving it to the club.  Apparently Pete made some comment that really set people off and hasn't apologized for the comment.  I guess that is why Hasbro has stepped in with their own comment on the matter.