JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: ok before the hate mail comes  (Read 20350 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: ok before the hate mail comes
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2009, 01:16:30 PM »

Quote from: "B"
I don't think I'd pay anymore then the original price you could get them at the convention for.

The way I see it, if someone is not willing to pay what they're worth now, then he or she probably doesn't want it that bad. This is the type of unique item you have to be into to want to buy it at a price proportional to its importance. The other items you can buy in stores are items you will find again and again, and it justifies the retail prices ( and sometimes clearance prices ) you pay for them. But not the Canadian Convention exclusive set, or exclusive from the past especially, these things defy the laws of physics, and you have to be there when it's there, otherwise you are subject to what the secondary market prices, or to luck which is probably the best last thing we can hope for.

Pretty much everyone who owns the set knows or will know that only a hundred of the sets were made ( it says #__ out of 100 inside the box anyway ).

That, and a good increasing number are still flying overseas to people who couldn't make the trip to attend the Con after all. Because even at 500$, they're confortable paying this rather than to fly and book a hotel. I totally respect that too because I happen to live in Canada, so I'm one of the lucky ones to get this set, and I can feel how difficult it must be for a serious foreign Joe fan to come from far away for the event.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
2 + 2 = 22

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2009, 04:52:39 PM »

I understand all that. All I'm saying is for me, if I wanted something that badly I'd make sure I was there when it was first sold. If your thinking of spending $500+ it would probably be worth the trip to the con.  There will never be a toy or set, in my opinion, worth that kinda money.  Not even a Flagg, and for me that's the reality of my finances.  If others can afford it all the power to them and the seller. Would I want that con set. Yes, but not for that kinda cash.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »

And I totally respect your point of view B.

Just to clarify I meant by "wanting badly" the Con set, to actually wanting to buy it knowing now of its secondary market price. And we've seen some prices range between 300$ to 800$. I know none of the sets that actually went for lower, so it's safe to assume that it's going to be near impossible if not improbable to find it at the original price. The original owners who still have it, it's because they still want to keep it. Amongst those who didn't keep it, some sold theirs because the actual secondary market price would actually help them a lot through some rough times. And others sold theirs to take advantage of the value it has right now, which is alright by me because it's their own set and they're free to do what they want with it.

Of course, I'd be probably complaining about buying this set for 4-5 times its original price I could've paid if I had attended the Con. And attend I did, but the Con set the bonus of the day, not the only objective of the day. I actually knew I really wanted it, when I actually held it in my hands for the first time. And the fact that it's #22. I'd be complaining about having to buy it for much more If I didn't get it at the Con, but knowing myself how I am, that still wouldn't stop me from me from buying it. That is how badly I'd want this set. But that's not everyone that feels this way I'll agree.

It has nothing to do (for me that is) about beeing more of a Joe fan and It's not the question about the worth of something. If you've seen the movie Diaries of a Shopoholic, that's almost exactly what I mean, because unlike the lead character in the movie, I'd only buy If I have the money and not load my credit cards one after the other ;D.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:19:42 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2009, 11:27:50 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike?"
I know who that is..... hmmm... Strange.

Mike, everyone had to sign for their set/provide ID so I'm sure you know who the sets went to.

I can tell you and everyone else that the set belonged to a true joe fan, a real good guy and a buddy of mine who made the trip with the rest of the montrealers. He was in front of me with #29, I still have my #30. He doesn't post on the boards. It was sold because my buddy needed some dough and decided he could do without the set. If his intention was to sell the set all along, he would have done so immediately after the con when they were going for $700+. Latinjoe22 can vouch for this person's character.

Also, we only know of 15 sets that were sold, but I'm sure some of the sets were sold privately so no one would ever be aware they were ever sold. I believe at least 20-25 of these sets have changed hands.

I don't see the problem. For me if he wants to sell to make a little cash its his right to do so. His reasons are his own.

If someone has purchased something they can do whatever they like. If someone waited in line and paid to go to the con and paid for their set, they can do whatever they choose. However, if at the next con, the set again is limited to 100 and I bring like 25 of my friends, are the first in line and get them get them to each buy a set, is it ok for me do that and resell the 25 sets solely for profit? Is this right? Morally, I don't think so...but it will also happen and cannot be prevented. Look at all the other cons SDCC for example, you have people who live nearby and every year attend with the sole purpose to pick of as much as they can and resell.....no expenses for travel, food, etc.

I understand all that. All I'm saying is for me, if I wanted something that badly I'd make sure I was there when it was first sold. If your thinking of spending $500+ it would probably be worth the trip to the con.
So, if you really wanted a set and planned to go, but had a family emergency or could not get work off....then the secondary market is the only option.

Lots of people complain about what others pay on the secondary market, but everyone has a right to do whatever they want. What most people always fail to understand that there is costs of travel, time, rooming, food (in most cases) when attending the cons.

So even if someone pays more on the secondary market, it's still cheaper than had they actually attended.

I personally attend the con for the experience and like latinjoe said, the set is a bonus. It was so much fun to do the drive down with buddies, freeze my nuts off in line, meet new people and see familiar faces. I enjoy having the memories.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:29:33 PM by Madman »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2009, 11:35:50 PM »

Madman, I have no problems with anyone selling a con set. It's yours to do whatever you want with.

Just seemed odd that someone was ebaying so many of them. ;-)

I don't care either way, I just know mine is sitting behind me in a case devoted to CanJoeCon items now. :-)

As for what people are willing to pay: Everyone has an amount they're willing to spend for items in their own collections. To some, this set isn't worth more than it's Con price - $125.00 CND.

To others, that wanted to attend but couldn't, it's worth more. Cheaper than plane tickets and a hotel room - that's for sure! :-)

An item is only worth however much that person wishes to spend on it. Nothing more, nothing less.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:37:45 PM by Anonymous »

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2009, 12:01:46 AM »

Quote from: "Madman"
I can tell you and everyone else that the set belonged to a true joe fan, a real good guy and a buddy of mine who made the trip with the rest of the montrealers. He was in front of me with #29, I still have my #30. He doesn't post on the boards. It was sold because my buddy needed some dough and decided he could do without the set. If his intention was to sell the set all along, he would have done so immediately after the con when they were going for $700+. Latinjoe22 can vouch for this person's character.

Yes, I can vouch for this person, because it's me! Just kidding Mike, you and many others know I got #22. Where talking of my same buddy from the Latincrew who manned a passenger's seat aboard the M.A.R.T.I.N ( Mobile Armoured Retaliating Transport for Infiltration and Neutralizing ), compliments of Martin and Madman, the drivers who transported us to Hamilton for the special one-day mission. His decision to sell the set is a timely surprise to me, but I should know better. I'm actually very aware of his personal situation and the sale of the set will help him for sure, no doubt about that. We talk every once and a while recalling his first Canadian Joe Con, so I can tell you that it's the true spirit of attending the convention that really matters to this Joe fan, and not necessarily having the actual convention set, which was certainly enjoyed and will not go in vain as long as he can remember Madman freezing his nuts off ( and us too  ;D )...

So how many sets are left....in Montreal ( including greater Montreal )? Just wondering.
2 + 2 = 22