JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Another "toy swapper" strikes.  (Read 2232 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
Another "toy swapper" strikes.
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:23:05 PM »

I'm having trouble uploading a pic so I'll just have to describe what I saw today.

I was at my local TRU (Victoria Park/Lawrence) here in Toronto.  I of course swung by the Joes.  Nothing of note, a few singles (wave 8 Cdn), the first 2 DVD packs, a couple Destro/IG comic packs(gold head), and a ton of HISS and Armadillo/Chariot packs.

I then saw one of the latest 3 packs.  I already have all 3, but I noticed that it had something wrong.  Upon closer inspection it had figures swapped.  It was the Destro/IG 3 pack.  Whoever it was left the Destro and took the 2 IGs.  In place of them was a Star Wars droid (black C3P0 body, bug-eyed) and an old 80s IG Nullifier without his visor. 

It has been a while since I saw this type of thing, so it was a bit of a surprise.  I won't bother with the "oh no, theft" line.  It is wrong, most of us know that, and it would just fall on deaf ears for those who don't have a problem with doing it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Another "toy swapper" strikes.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 08:31:45 AM »

why would they bother with putting old figures to replace the ones they stole. I've seen this type of thing several times and just shake my head.

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 09:24:33 PM »

Is it that they buy them, carefully replace the figures they want with cheap ones then return it for a "refund"?  'Cause otherwise, I can't figure out how they'd do that, in the store...

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 09:38:09 PM »

Man, if you're so broke you have to do that sort of thing, you really shouldn't be into collectibles.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 01:00:15 AM »

All the ones I have seen, there is no way they are done in store - they take them home swap them and then return them.
The most common figures I have seen swapped into Joe packages are Corps figures.
The wildest thing that happened to me however was when I picked up the Green camo version of the conquest X-20 many years back (almost 10 years no) at the TRU at Weston Rd. and the 401 (now a Home Outfitters).  Somebody had gone to great lengths to jam the conquest box full of 3 Pack Joes that they had ripped open in the store (mostly Cobra Snow Troopers and The Grey/Blue Vipers).
I bought the last two conquests they had on the shelf, got home opened one of them, and left the other in its box for about 6 months. I finally got around to moving to a shelf to display it and I noticed an arm that shouldn't have been sticking out where ACE was - I looked a little further into the box - and Bang I found someone's hidden stash!  Now considering I was the one that ended up purchasing it, I inadvertently am also the one that "lifted" the figures out of the store.  There ended up being about 9 cobra figures inside the box, and two corps figures.