JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: New Joe Comic...thoughts?  (Read 4482 times)

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: New Joe Comic...thoughts?
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 11:08:18 PM »

I enjoyed all three stories. Heck they're only 5 pages, so not a whole lot can happen.

All 3 stories are from the same new full REBOOT continuity. Dixon's story is the "current" regular title. Hama's is the Origin of the Joe team, taking place some unknown amount of time before dixon's. And the Cobra story takes place in the same continuity, but not sure when. IDW will ultimately have 2 continuities. Their comic one and the movie one sometime next year. And there might be some resolute comics down the road.

Re: Roadblock; There's been a lot of ambiguity on this issue, but it's not a copyright issue, otherwise there'd be no figures called roadblock. We're getting lots of those. The last I read was hasbro wanted the name to fall in line with the movie, and the movie people chose heavy duty over roadblock because they liked the name better. So the character in IDW comics is roadblock, with the heavy duty name. Personally i think they should have just stuck with roadblock, but oh well.

Anyways

Here's some of my thoughts which i more or less posted over at joereloaded.com (a great place for comic info, btw).

Of the three stories, I think the most intriguing was definately the Hama one. Just the way it set up a couple characters and the basic premis of the joes and their recruitment. I felt it said more in its 5 pages than the other 2 stories did. The dixon story was a typical in the dark action mission with the set-up ending which is okay for a 5 page intro/preview. The chuckles story was typical of a story about a guy going deep under cover, but again a decent into.

Art-wise, my hands-down favourite is Atkins. It really fits the GI Joe style, and is nicely detailed. It always amazes me how art looks better in physical form in hand than on a computer screen. We've been treated to Robert's sketches and his comments over on Joereloaded, so the sketch section of the book wasn't much new, but it was really nice to see in print. I liked that they included his comments on each one as well.

The interview didn't reveal a whole lot. It was mostly light sort of promotional fluff, but it did once again convey an excitement among the creators, which is it's goal in a book like this.

So overall, we got three good little stories, and a nice little bit of extra content, all for a buck! Awsome stuff! Now is it January yet?!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »