JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Bought something off GIJCC lately? Check your credit card statements.  (Read 15784 times)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile

Just a heads up.  Credit card fraud has been reported by various Transformer and GI JOE collectors after buying GIJCC and Botcon memberships.

http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32284
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-news-rumors/202849-possible-credit-card-fraud.html
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-general-discussion/543525-fandom-card-issues-2-2012-a.html

Fun Publications/Master Collector or whatever the hell they are called have failed to deal with the situation. Instead, they sent out some BS basically stating that it's OUR FAULT and we are stupid for not protecting our credit card info. 

We have been receiving feedback that there has been a higher than usual number of fraud complaints posted on online Transformers forums.

While we have nothing to suggest that there was an issue with the TCC and Fun Publications, we look into every concern that is sent to us. All of your transactions are in a secure socket with the strongest encryption available to any site on the web. If you have a specific concern about any transaction with us, please use the “contact us” link located at the bottom of the TCC page and provide us with as much information as possible including:

1. The EXACT name of merchant as it is written on your statement.
2. Amount and date of suspect charge.
3. Bank your card is drawn on and if it is a debit or credit card.
4. Device and browser (and version) you used for your last payment with us before you saw a fraudulent charge (ie, android phone, computer, iphone, browser and version).
6. Were you on a public computer?
7. Were you on a public wi‐fi network?
8. If you were at home or work, what Internet provider did you use?
9. On your last transaction with us, did you receive any kind of error message (card declined, 404 error, programming type error)? If you did receive an error, how many times did you resubmit your information?

It is very difficult to track credit card fraud. With your help, we can see if there are any parallels between those reporting an issue.

In order to better protect yourself, here are some guidelines:

Never log into a secure site from a public computer, public wi‐fi, or through android/windows phones. Only use your mobile device on a
mobile app for transactions, never a browser. Turn off your bluetooth and wi‐fi to prevent people from hacking your credit card information from your phone/computer.

If you have a card that has an rfid chip, make sure your card is shielded when not in use.

Always make sure you are using a secure socket (https://) for any login that requires a password or a monetary transaction.

Never email your credit card information to anyone.

As should be common practice, on a regular basis, be sure to check your statements and make note of any suspicious activity on your card. If you see an unauthorized charge, turn it in to your bank or card company, the charge will be reversed, they will issue a new card for you and the security system in place will have done its job.

Please also take the time to read the attached article and research credit card security. We are very aware that security concerns have risen exponentially in the last couple years and we are doing our part to stay ahead of the curve.

Are these guys for real?  It's not like I just got a credit card the other day and discovered the internet.   

Sorry.  When you have several members have their credit card info stolen through your crappy payment processing system, it's not your members fault.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:32:23 AM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Bought something off GIJCC lately? Check your credit card statements.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:57:41 PM »

Ya, Ive been trying to follow this closely, have any non US residences had their cards compromised?  Im one the fence of getting a reissue of my card as this situations is scaring me.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:09:29 AM by Pete The Greek »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Inzane

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile

I have a feeling THIS might have something to do with it. 

From the GIJCC's Terms & Conditions page:
INTERNATIONAL ORDERS
Fun Publications, Inc. realizes that collectibles have worldwide appeal. We ship anywhere that the United States Postal Service or FedEx delivers. However, there are restrictions. Upon your first order, you will need to fax us a copy of your credit card, front and back as well as photo identification, which shows your signature to 817-448-9843. If a credit card transaction is made through our site without the fax confirmation of your identity, we reserve the right to CANCEL THE ORDER.

This seemed blatantly wrong and stupid, and was the reason why I have hesitated to join.   Anyone with half a brain knows you're not supposed to fax or email your credit card info, as those transmission methods have always been considered NOT secure.   

I was tempted to phone my credit card company to ask them about this, but I never got around to it.  I would think your CC company wouldn't side with you if you were scammed after being this careless with your card information.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile

Is that something just instituted now?  I never had to do that when joining the GIJCC...
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 01:31:50 AM »

The last time I had a membership, I paid online via credit card.  This would have been at least 3 years ago.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:08:53 AM by Pete The Greek »

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile

I renewed my membership a couple of months ago on line and so far I haven't seen anything wrong. I am very close to changing my credit card info because it's the same card I used on the PS3 network and now this, so potential twice it's been compromised.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »

There are reports that even people who sent in their credit card by mail for the convention were hit, which means its their internal database that got hit. 

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »

I was tempted to phone my credit card company to ask them about this, but I never got around to it.  I would think your CC company wouldn't side with you if you were scammed after being this careless with your card information.

Way too many people have reported their cc info stolen after paying for club registrations in the past few weeks.  This isn't a case of people being sloppy with their CC info.  This is from the club's end.  There systems(s) have been hacked. 

The worst part is they are continuing to operate with this huge problem.  At least Sony shut down their system when they were compromised.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »

I got hit with $4000 in fraud charges.... Dealing with BMO on it now. I'm too happy with the Club right now...
Lurking

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 06:32:23 PM »

Got this from the club today:

This is going out to all members: 

Fun Publications wants to take this opportunity to apologize to all of our members.

After many days of analysis, Fun Publications has determined that there is a security issue with our e-commerce systems.  We appreciate all of you who have sent in your details.  Your help has allowed us to ferret out several different patterns of fraudulent charges that have appeared on some members' cards (any that have been used over the last year with both the club store and our event registration system).

We have several different internet/networking companies looking into the matter. Unfortunately, as of yet, we have not been able to identify any forcible entry either into our internet service provider's servers or network.  This is like chasing a ghost through the wires, as unfortunately, the perpetrator did not leave a trail, foot prints or finger prints.

For those of you who have been affected, we apologize for all of your time this has wasted and any inconvenience it has caused you. We understand your frustration as this same type of fraud has happened to everyone in our office on our personal credit cards at some point in the past. Our merchant services provider wants us to remind everyone that even though this can be a huge annoyance for you, the customer, your issuing bank will not hold you responsible for any fraudulent charges that might be placed on your card(s).   

We know that this issue has been a huge topic of discussion on all of the boards for the past few weeks.  However, we are required to investigate to determine and confirm a security issue thoroughly before making any public statements.  This is why we put out a general alert statement two weeks ago. 

Until the analysis is finished (can take several weeks) we don't know if the shut down by our former (Jan 31st) e-commerce provider caused the security issue or not.  We do know that it has not been limited to those who have purchased before the change to our new provider.

Please, watch your cards closely as this type of security issue appears to be on the increase across the net.  No site is 100% safe.  You may want to consider having any cards you have used with Fun Publications in the last year replaced.

At this time, we do not know how long our e-commerce site will be offline for both the store and registrations.  We will get back to you once we have a solution for this security issue.

Thanks for your support - Brian

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:52 PM »

I got hit with $4000 in fraud charges.... Dealing with BMO on it now. I'm too happy with the Club right now...

Ah f***, I was hoping nobody in here was going to hit with fraudulent charges, especially with a number that high.

As for the message sent from the club, too little, too late.  The damage has been done.  I am not sure if I can ever trust them again. 

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »

Well my credit card is the same one I had on the PS3 network so I figure I might as well bite the bullet and cancel it. I should have a new one in 10 days but I expect it sooner then that.

That just means I'll have to give new info to my paypal account and a few other places when it arrives.

At least I didn't see any bogus purchases on my card.

GIJCC should except paypal.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.