JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Bought something off GIJCC lately? Check your credit card statements.  (Read 15788 times)

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Bought something off GIJCC lately? Check your credit card statements.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »

I got hit with $4000 in fraud charges.... Dealing with BMO on it now. I'm too happy with the Club right now...

Ah f***, I was hoping nobody in here was going to hit with fraudulent charges, especially with a number that high.

As for the message sent from the club, too little, too late.  The damage has been done.  I am not sure if I can ever trust them again.

I was hit with a few charges from January 23 to 25.  The F$%^ers even used my card to ship stuff using UPS in the UK...

BMO had me sign an affidavit saying the charges were not mine and are still investigating.  Until this mess is settled and the GIJCC proves they have improved security... I will use reloadable Credit cards from now on with them IF I bother...
Lurking

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 03:44:34 PM »

Ship stuff? Couldn't these guys be tracked to the address the stuff shipped to?
Updated!

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 04:16:47 PM »

From the stories I heard, they ship to places that are vacant/fake/unregistered addresses. 
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 04:36:51 AM »

And as of yesterday they are still not sure if they have cleaned up the mess. 

Very bad.  Have not yet renewed my membership.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 07:12:46 AM »

Maybe it's time for Hasbro to take the club back.
A website that looks like it wasn't updated since the second day of the Internet?
With all the solutions available, why would they keep it up like that?

Do they insist on doing things their way? If so, it just bit them in the ass.
Say no to AFA.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 10:15:35 AM »

For all we know these guys are just keeping everyones credit card info on an excel spreedsheet unencrypted...
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 01:53:37 PM »

Maybe it's time for Hasbro to take the club back.
A website that looks like it wasn't updated since the second day of the Internet?
With all the solutions available, why would they keep it up like that?

Do they insist on doing things their way? If so, it just bit them in the ass.

Write an email to Hasbro. I know I mention to them on their facebook account that this sort of thing can hurt the collector fan base with Hasbro and it's not just G.I. Joe but Transformers and they have a much larger fan base. They need to do something. Coating like they have been won't cut it anymore.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »

And in the past few days, the emails have been coming in.

Hello.  This is going out to all members past and present on file. 

In case you didn't get the email on Friday, please see our posting at GIJoeClub.com concerning the security issue we have had.  We have continued to work on this issue over the weekend.  We still don't know the scope of the possible intrusion or if there was an intrusion.  However, to be on the safe side, we are recommending that everyone who has used a card with us either for a store purchase or for an event registration in the last year have that card replaced at their earliest convieinence to avoid any potential unauthorized use.   We again apologize for this problem and for your time this has wasted.   

Thanks for your patience and support while we solve this issue.

Brian Savage
CEO Fun Publications, Inc.

his update is going out to all members:

Due to the issue with processing credit cards we have currently suspended your ability to renew and join the club online. The deadline is coming March 16th for you to be eligible to receive the 2012 free club exclusives.

On Monday, we will have a pdf online on the club site for membership renewals and new memberships that you can mail in with a check or money order.  We will process your membership as soon as they arrive. 

Please note that the March 16th deadline is a hard deadline (in house) so please make sure any mail is in the postal system by March 9th. 

If you want to receive the free club exclusive Footloose or Man of Evil, your membership must be active as of March 16th.  At the bottom of this email you will find your expiration date.  If it is after March 16, 2012, you are good to go for the 2012 figure. 

Also, please log into the club club site <https://www.gijoeclub.com/club/> and ensure you have the figure selected you want to receive for this year, either 3 3/4" or 12".   

Thanks for your support and patience during this difficult time.

Brian

This is going out to all members: 

Fun Publications wants to take this opportunity to apologize to all of our members.

After many days of analysis, Fun Publications has determined that there is a security issue with our e-commerce systems.  We appreciate all of you who have sent in your details.  Your help has allowed us to ferret out several different patterns of fraudulent charges that have appeared on some members' cards (any that have been used over the last year with both the club store and our event registration system).

We have several different internet/networking companies looking into the matter. Unfortunately, as of yet, we have not been able to identify any forcible entry either into our internet service provider's servers or network.  This is like chasing a ghost through the wires, as unfortunately, the perpetrator did not leave a trail, foot prints or finger prints.

For those of you who have been affected, we apologize for all of your time this has wasted and any inconvenience it has caused you. We understand your frustration as this same type of fraud has happened to everyone in our office on our personal credit cards at some point in the past. Our merchant services provider wants us to remind everyone that even though this can be a huge annoyance for you, the customer, your issuing bank will not hold you responsible for any fraudulent charges that might be placed on your card(s).   

We know that this issue has been a huge topic of discussion on all of the boards for the past few weeks.  However, we are required to investigate to determine and confirm a security issue thoroughly before making any public statements.  This is why we put out a general alert statement two weeks ago. 

Until the analysis is finished (can take several weeks) we don't know if the shut down by our former (Jan 31st) e-commerce provider caused the security issue or not.  We do know that it has not been limited to those who have purchased before the change to our new provider.

Please, watch your cards closely as this type of security issue appears to be on the increase across the net.  No site is 100% safe.  You may want to consider having any cards you have used with Fun Publications in the last year replaced.

At this time, we do not know how long our e-commerce site will be offline for both the store and registrations.  We will get back to you once we have a solution for this security issue.

Thanks for your support - Brian

Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »

I like that no matter how bad their situation is, they insist on the subscription deadline, yet they wont set up a Paypal account to accommodate their members.

Those Footloose and Man of Evil figures will be hot sellers on Ebay.
Say no to AFA.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »

I like that no matter how bad their situation is, they insist on the subscription deadline, yet they wont set up a Paypal account to accommodate their members.

Agreed, on both accounts.  I can't believe they are being this steadfast with the deadline, considering they are facing a major situation here.  They need to get their shit in order before dealing with memberships. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:05:26 PM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 09:07:40 AM »

Agreed, on both accounts.  I can't believe they are being this steadfast with the deadline, considering they are facing a major situation here.  They need to get their shit in order before dealing with memberships.

100% agree with you guys. I'm glad I renewed a few months ago, didn't get hit on my credit card and have since cancelled that card. I've got my Footloose covered.

Still seems nuts they would keep the hard deadline for the membership drive. It's more like an anti-membership drive or "drive our membership away".

They make great products, no doubt about it but the administration is lacking. 
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 09:34:34 AM »

100% agree with you guys. I'm glad I renewed a few months ago, didn't get hit on my credit card and have since cancelled that card. I've got my Footloose covered.

Still seems nuts they would keep the hard deadline for the membership drive. It's more like an anti-membership drive or "drive our membership away".

They make great products, no doubt about it but the administration is lacking.

And now for the latest email:
While we continue to work on the current issues.  We recommend that all members (even if you didn't have an issue with your card) go to one of the credit monitoring sites like Experian and file for credit card fraud protection.  This service is free and it puts a watch on your credit ratings for 90 days (free).  On the Experian site click on the Add an Initial Security Alert (this is the one that I used).  They also provide you a free credit report. According the Federal Law, each agency must provide you with one free report every 12 months upon request.  You can view your rights here at Experian. 
You can also call these agencies but some of them are hard to get a person on the phone. 

Equifax (www.equifax.com)
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
1-800-685-1111
Experian (www.experian.com)
P.O. Box 2104
Allen, TX 75013-0949
1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)
Trans Union (www.transunion.com)
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
1-800-916-8800

When you put the credit watch on your account, they notify the other two agencies.
 I also recommend that you call the opt out number (1 888 567 8688) so that you will be taken off the list for pre-approved credit card and insurance offers.  That way if your mail is ever broken into (happened to us personally a few years back), they can't get these items and open accounts in your name.
Again, we apologize for any problems these security issues have caused.  Thanks for all of the kind emails we have been receiving and..........

I called them and told them I have been holding off on renewing for the first time.  They are only taking checque or MO.

I have to wonder if they are in over their heads and if this could be the death kneel for the club.  Hope they have insurance!
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.