JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: "Restoration" kit now available  (Read 10667 times)

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: "Restoration" kit now available
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »

And once again, an interesting thread dies as we get totally off topic...

My opinion on the ORIGINAL topic?

I've thought about this a few times. I have determined a few things in my past 6 months of collecting:

1. Some Joe items made by Hasbro were poorly designed and VERY prone to damage through normal play. (gliders, FANG rollbars, etc.)
3. Some Joe items are VERY prone to damage by age/time. (O-rings, white plastic, stickers)
2. Some Joe items are hoarded by certain collectors making it harder for someone to just get ONE nice example of something. (Army builders)
4. Some Joe items are very small and easily lost with no easy replacement even when the items were available in stores. (Heavy Metal's mike, FLAGG parts)

Something that generally separates Joe collecting from, say, sports memorabilia is that it's typically more of a hobby than an investment. If you're just looking to have toys from your childhood on a shelf looking all cool then who cares if it's got a repro gun? You couldn't tell the difference if you were 8 again.

If you don't want to pay original prices for what may potentially be a repro part? Go repro and don't sweat it. In 20 years the repro part is gonna be old enough to be worth something anyways.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »

And once again, an interesting thread dies as we get totally off topic...

Blame the original poster then  :), or me for all I care  ;D . Otherwise since he willingly opened a new discussion within his own thread, I don't see how "we get totally off topic". My intent was to remind Martin why he need not to be bothered by the inner questions he may have from his post beeing here in the first place. Like you, I find this thread to be a great source for opinions on the matter.

As for adding to the discussion:

I recall that Martin bought for me once a replacement mic for my Cold Front. It wasn't cheap though, at least 6 bucks, If memory serves well.

I regard these repro parts as place holders, until I can get the real deal. Unfortunately, I knew that the best way to get a mic for that figure for a reasonable price would be to get a complete Cold Front. Alas, I didn't find one. And yet, after acquiring a repro comes the new feeling of insecurity: "when I find a complete loose figure, will I be able to tell if the accessories are authentic?" The answer, likely not. Sealed specimens are the only true way to avoid any misleads, and this is an expensive way to go for most of us who can't always be on the look-out for the next best deal. I may have to settle for my Cold Front with repro mic, and I'm okay with that.

2 + 2 = 22

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 02:49:12 PM »

I like the idea of repro items being a different colour/shape. Like Accessory Pack items. Your figures will still look cool, but they'll have their own flavour. Maybe even with improved designs over the original. (i.e. more elaborate mics)

You see this kind of thing with Transformers collectors. "Upgrade your Cliffjumper figure with a new head, some guns, etc."

I'm an avid video game collector and I make reproduction cases for myself. (video store clamshell boxes with custom inserts that resemble the originals)

I think it's a fair compromise. I get a superior product (way more durable) and there's no risk of anyone being defrauded.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 03:10:39 PM »

"when I find a complete loose figure, will I be able to tell if the accessories are authentic?" The answer, likely not.

If you can't tell the difference then why does it matter at all?

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »

"when I find a complete loose figure, will I be able to tell if the accessories are authentic?" The answer, likely not.

There's a certain premium on owning an "original". Whether it's financial or just a matter of pride. Kind of like the difference between owning an original painting and a print.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »

There's a certain premium on owning an "original". Whether it's financial or just a matter of pride. Kind of like the difference between owning an original painting and a print.

Paintings are works that typically are unique with a known ownership history. GI Joes are kids toys, mass produced by the tens of thousands if not more. If anything, the repro parts are LESS mass produced and should command a premium.

I can see having pride in a toy you managed to maintain in decent condition since childhood, or one that managed to stay MOC or MIB but loose?

If it's about impressing people with how much you paid for it I have some stuff you might be interesed in...

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 04:26:16 PM »

Paintings are works that typically are unique with a known ownership history. GI Joes are kids toys, mass produced by the tens of thousands if not more. If anything, the repro parts are LESS mass produced and should command a premium.

I can see having pride in a toy you managed to maintain in decent condition since childhood, or one that managed to stay MOC or MIB but loose?

If it's about impressing people with how much you paid for it I have some stuff you might be interesed in...

My personal feelings on the matter are different. I'm just trying to understand the mindset of people who care about having originals instead of just dismissing them.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »

My personal feelings on the matter are different. I'm just trying to understand the mindset of people who care about having originals instead of just dismissing them.

I totally agree with you.

I have a totally non-proven, irrational belief that repro parts are "not as good" or "won't fit" like the originals. While playing devil's advocate I'm trying to convince myself I don't need an original Heavy Metal mic and gun. :D

$200-$300 vs. $5

Repro mic doesn't look to bad. I suspect the majority of us could never justify the cost difference.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »

I'm happy with all the responses and the debate that it generates. That was my goal. But, I don't understand why this topic was moved to the For Sale section. I'm not the Black Major, I'm not selling these, nobody will bump this thread to promote this. That was not the goal.

Everytime something will be available at TRU, will the post be moved to the For sale section because TRU is selling something?

Everytime the club will release a new con set, will the post be moved to the For sale section because the club is selling something?

Sorry, it's not clear for me....

Martin, I have no idea why this thread is here.  I can't even move it to the section it should be in.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 10:53:14 PM »

Some guys prefer real boobs over fake ones or vice versa.  Oh wait, we are not talking about that.

The quality of repos have been suspect in the past.  I bought repos years ago in order to determine fake ones that may enter my collection.  I found repos to be brittle and not worth the money.   Hence, I only want original accessories for my collection.         

I suspect the ones that Black Major has done will be of better quality.  Just like the custom figures, they would have been factory made instead of some guy making them in his garage or basement, which will eliminate the brittleness problem.  As long the repo accessories are slightly different the Hasbro ones, I have no major issue.  Exact or near exact replicas = I have a problem with. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:05:58 AM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »

I've replaced broken O rings on some of my Joes. Does that mean they are no longer authentic? I don't think so.

These are repo parts. Cool. I also collect 12 inch Joes and there is a lot of repo part out there. Ever visit Costsworld?

http://www.gijoeelite.com/f_display.asp?strDisplayName=Hasbro-VintageParts

I love that place and I've bought from them a few times. It's a fantastic place and their customer service is the best on line shopping I've ever had the joy of dealing with. but they sell lots of repair repo parts. Is that dropping the value of the original 12 inch line? Possibly, but I haven't heard anyone complain yet.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 07:53:04 PM »

It matters most when I'm about to drop a serious amount of money for something that is supposed to be 100% authentic. Only then. Other than that, I have nothing against repros. I even own a few in my own collection.
2 + 2 = 22