JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Hero weapons and bad-guy weapons.  (Read 3556 times)

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Hero weapons and bad-guy weapons.
« on: January 28, 2011, 05:14:50 PM »

I just had one of those brain-bending moments today. I was lamenting how to gear up a figure with a different main weapon--a battle rifle--and I was having no luck finding something.
My step-son comes in, picks up on my frustration and then points out what he sees as a solution.

He points to a "bad-guy weapon".

And my brain went "no, this is a hero-figure. He needs a hero's weapon, not a bad guy's weapon."
And then my step-son hit me with the brain-bender..........." Why?" he said.

And having a now bent ( or bending-in-progress) brain.........I was unable to answer.

I saw that some of the bad guy weapons were pretty cool in and of themselves.............but I always thought of them as a bad guy's weapon. Good guys use..........good weapons. Bad guys use bad guy weapons.

And my brain..............bent when I thought of that.......and it made both 100% complete sense to me AND absolutely NO SENSE at all to me.
Such a weird way to look at such simple things.

And to make matters even more brain-bending, I ALREADY have good & evil characters sharing the same weapons on some figures.

Gaggghhkk!!

The OCD aspects of collecting really does surprise me at times.

Is anyone else like this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Hero weapons and bad-guy weapons.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:35:11 PM »

Some weapons might appear as obvious good or bad guy weapons due to popular media.

Take the old Ak-47. For most it would be the obvious (cliché) bad guy assault rifle.
That gun was(is) so mass produced that it could easily find it's way into the hands of a hero be it by choise or because he's on the run.

What about the MP40, the smg of Nazis another bunch of obvious bad guys. Commandos on undercover missions or members of the resistance also used that weapon.

The MP5 might be viewed as a good guy weapon since it's used by law enforcement all over the world, yet minions and bodyguards were often seen totting the compact version in several movies and series.

I'd say dealers choice. You like a weapon give it to a hero, you don't then let the bad guys have it :)
Say no to AFA.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »

Quote from: "Redmao"
Some weapons might appear as obvious good or bad guy weapons due to popular media.

Take the old Ak-47. For most it would be the obvious (cliché) bad guy assault rifle.
That gun was(is) so mass produced that it could easily find it's way into the hands of a hero be it by choise or because he's on the run.

What about the MP40, the smg of Nazis another bunch of obvious bad guys. Commandos on undercover missions or members of the resistance also used that weapon.

The MP5 might be viewed as a good guy weapon since it's used by law enforcement all over the world, yet minions and bodyguards were often seen totting the compact version in several movies and series.

I'd say dealers choice. You like a weapon give it to a hero, you don't then let the bad guys have it :)

Yep, that is exactly the dilemma.
An AK-47 is a bad guy's weapon my my head.........and yet I know that "good guy" forces use them all the time.
A G-36 is a very sexy-looking "good guy" weapon........but its so tech-chic that  the stylish bad guys just have to have it too.

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:15:57 PM »

Ha, I don't really know any weapon names except maybe an uzi and an m-16. Otherwise it is a "RocknRoll weapon" or a "Roadblock gun", or a "recondo gun". Or a "stormtrooper gun", or a "han solo gun" in star wars! I was never interested in the guns as much as the other gear or the characters and stories, so i guess i never went out of my way to learn them. But a good guy weapon or a bad guy weapon would just follow whatever character had one. Or it was neutral if it was used by more than one character on different sides. It's funny how different people perceive things differently.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 02:14:26 AM »

the stormtrooper's gun is actually a modified British Army Sterling sub-machine gun. Han's blaster is a modified WW2 German Mauser pistol.

so the evil stormtroopers use 'hero' guns and the good guy Han uses an 'evil' weapon.

i admit, it bugs the shit outta me that NF Action Man uses an AK and a Tomax/Xamot weapon. i just try to pretend it's because he's on a black op and has to use villain weapons for deniability reasons...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

silentdusty

• Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »

Sometimes my good guys just end up with bad guy weapons, and often times I'll outfit my Cobra 'Officers' with an MP5 or smaller assault weapon, and my Vipers rarely carry the rifles they came with, I usually blend with Marauder AK's, MP5's, maybe an extra shot gun, and a SAW. Depending on my set up sometimes my Joe's will carry AK's, I've done a couple of dio shots with a 'hero' picking up an AK in the heat of battle.
Silent Dusty

Talon

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 11:59:33 AM »

All valid points from above. I would say, Arrow, that you need to figure out what the mission is for your guy. Behind enemy lines, a bad guy weapon will do. If its an assault, a good guy weapon. Additionally, a couple of things to consider.
1) Take Rambo 2 and 3, how often is he seen with an AK? AK=bad guy weapon for Westerners.
2) Look at any episode of GI Joe. Revenge of Cobra, Duke and SE both pick up cobra rifles and attempt to blast their way out of the cobra temple.
3) GI Joe the Movie: the Renegades raid Cobra's armory and blast their way out with Viper rifles.
4) Spec Ops will use whatever is handy and our guys will go into the field with whatever they deem necessary. You had Navy SEALS in Nam going into the Jungles with AKs so they could use the ammo of those they killed.
Anyway, I understand your dilemma. For me, M-16s equal Joes, or the XMLR-1 or 3 that the Joes favored in the cartoon. For Cobra, AKs and G-36s. But I will arm Outback and Brawler with AK-74s since they go behind enemy lines
check out www.talonsnest.com/pix for a few of my customs (more to come)

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »

when playing COD1 and 2, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, i frequently picked up the MP40 because it was almost guarenteed you'd never run out of ammo for it, cuz you were shooting all them Nazis with them.

on MW and MW2, i never had to worry about that, i usually got killed before i ran out of ammo!

in MW2 multiplayer, i also get killed before running out of ammo most of the time.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

formbx257

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:48:58 PM »

After discovering JC Penney gave their store exclusive '82 Cobra figures Short-Fuze's and Zap's weapons, I thought it was a good idea for army-building variety.  Plus, the '82 Rock 'N Roll  came with a machinegun primarily based on a WW2 German MG42... so you can always have "that one guy with the captured/eccentric weapon" on a team with regular issue stuff.
Watch "The 1980's G.I. Joe Show" on Blip.TV: http://blip.tv/formbx257
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FormBX257/295471453806030

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 09:54:35 PM »

THIS IS WRONG!!!!  ;D

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 09:00:09 AM »

If you like it that all that matters!  Who cares if it is a bad boy gun or not...
Lurking

darth cujo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »

Quote from: "5h4rK"
THIS IS WRONG!!!!  ;D
See, I have no problem with that. ;) The gun its still called the "Roadblock gun", but if it came with a cobra, it's cool. Any character can have any gun, but the gun is named after the original figure released with it.