JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Joe Meet 2007 Information (Early Planning)  (Read 9179 times)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Joe Meet 2007 Information (Early Planning)
« on: October 11, 2006, 11:33:38 AM »

Need some help here guys.

The Black Ice auction (after ebay/paypal fees) has left me with approx. 380.00 CND.

There was just over $50.00 leftover from last years meet - which went to sponsoring of this site.

I'm 'shopping' around for locations since I'd like to move it out of the Bowling Alley this year.

I just called one place, and they wanted $600.00 for a hall that sits about 100 people. It's on Upper James, which is close to the hotel that folks stayed in before, as well as the Airport, and it's also the street where we seem to have the dinners afterwards.

Even with the 380.00 that Black Ice brought us, there's no way I'm spending $600.00 for 'this' hall. I've seen it, and it's not worth $600.00.

There's a new hotel opening soon on Upper James, and I'm waiting to hear back on a price for their halls.

Which is why I'm posting.... should we keep the meet at the bowling alley, or should we move it?

I'm going to keep looking for places on the mountain - as it's a much nicer area than being downtown.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hey! You lurkers! Post something! ;-)
mike
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 10:18:33 PM by Guest »

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Meet 2007 Information (Early Planning)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 01:26:55 PM »

Quote from: ""BHT""
I just called one place, and they wanted $600.00 for a hall that sits about 100 people. It's on Upper James, which is close to the hotel that folks stayed in before, as well as the Airport, and it's also the street where we seem to have the dinners afterwards.

As well as the Hooters. :shifty:

The advantages to the bowling alley were its proximity to BHT and a Tim Hortens. It also offered nice privacy for the meet and very little noise from upstairs. There's also ease in location thanks to consistency. I know I dont' want to relearn Hamilton's layout every year.

However, it's gotten pretty tight in there and since the legacy of the Joe Canuck Meet is really spreading, I think we might be too big for those britchets this year. Plus the backdoor entrance made finding the I was there.  And there's always the good chance you end up with a bunch of grown men crying on the street corner looking at the old home of Bounty Hunter Toys.

I don't know the area well enough to offer any suggestions, but a room that fits 100 does sound good. How rigidly do they adhere to that price? If it's a dead time of year, or this far in advanced, they might be willing to bend. Especially if you promise to hold the after meet supper in their restaurant and maybe recommend it to visitors that can't hook up a place to stay. How much, no clue. But is it worth, say, $450? And what's included?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Updated!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 02:36:36 PM »

Maybe we can hold it under a cool *new* bowling alley this year.

The location wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It was pretty easy to get there off the link, but it wasn't great from people coming off the QEW.

Maybe there's a bowling alley in Burlington with some space for us.

Keep the costs down. People aren't coming for the venue, they are coming for the fun. I'd hate to see the door price go up too much...

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 10:12:53 PM »

The admission isn't going to go up. That's a promise.

Here's the big deal....

I'd like to have a hall where we don't have to go up stairs or down stairs..... and I'm sure the guys the bring things to trade and sell would like that also. ;-)

The reasoning for keeping it on the mountain is simple - it's nicer up here, and it's pretty easy to get anywhere.

The ONLY alternative I can think of (area wise) in Hamilton is around Eastgate Square - but that's technically Stoney Creek...  Downtown area is a flat out no. UNLESS we made this into a big toy show/convention and had guests at it - then it would be simple - the Convention Center.

I'm going to swing by Michaelangelos tomorrow. The Hall that the Toy Show was in this past week was a good size... Just depends on the price.

Other than that, I'm waiting to hear back from the Marriot on Upper James. It's not open yet, but will be by the time of the Meet. Oh, and I'm pretty sure the date is going to be April 14th 2007.... or the weekend after. But most likely the 14th. Also depends on 'halls'.

If the Hillcrest was still open, I'd do it there in a heartbeat..... damn.
Mike

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 10:44:28 PM »

i went to a stag and doe at a Lions Club Hall on Upper James last year.  It's between Stone Church and Rymal, was a decent size, and I'm sure would be a damn site cheaper than Michaelangelo's (trust me...my wedding reception was in the room the toyshow was in).  If you want, I can give them a call and see what their rates are.....
Wherever you go, there you are.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 12:00:36 AM »

Quote from: ""Radio Guy""
i went to a stag and doe at a Lions Club Hall on Upper James last year.  It's between Stone Church and Rymal, was a decent size, and I'm sure would be a damn site cheaper than Michaelangelo's (trust me...my wedding reception was in the room the toyshow was in).  If you want, I can give them a call and see what their rates are.....

That's who I called. It was $400.00 for the night, but $600.00 for the day.

I thought THAT would of beenthe perfect place... if it weren't for the imperfect price.

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 12:33:06 AM »

DAAAAAAAAMN!  what about a church hall...if not on Upper James, then within a block or two? Upper Wentworth, Upper Wellington...there's gotta be something for under 400 bones....

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 08:23:54 AM »

I'd rather not use a church if at all possible..... there is one at Upper James and Stonechurch - across from a Tim Hortons. I suppose that would work well enough......

The $400.00 I would of paid for the other hall - ONLY because it's mainly paid for due to the Black Ice action.

I'm going out 'driving' today to check out a few places I found online.

Spoke to my dad about 10 minutes ago, and he 'may' be able to get me a deal on Sunshine Banquet center for about $300.00 - it sits 140 - but it's down the mountain - near Center Mall.... It's a nice place inside - very nice actually.... but we're men - we don't care about 'nice' right? ;-)

Based on how many people have read this thread vs how many have replied - I'm assuming then people don't really care WHERE it is next year - as long as there is one right?

We could move it to July and have it my backyard then? :lol:
Mike

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 09:11:25 AM »

only problem with that is if there's a rain date, folks who came far might not be able to make it back, and if it's pouring, do you really want that many joe fanatics squeezed into casa heddle?  at least if it's indoors, the event isn't affected by the weather.  i think you're right, thje where doesn't seem to be as important as the fact that there is one, so go with the cheap hall and spend the rest on timbits.....and pepperettes....yes.....the pepperetts......

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 10:04:10 AM »

Mike, do you have an idea of how many people are going to be coming next year? Last year you made 30 Black Ice figures and that was more than enough to go around. Do we really need to book a place that holds 100 people? I ask this because if it's only 30 people and we have a hall for 100 then it's going to look and feel pretty empty. I didn't think it felt crowed last year and if I remember correctly that was the smaller room.

My suggestion is lets go for the same location but book the bigger room. I don't see why we need to spend all the money from the ebay Black ice figure and left over $50.00 on a new location just yet.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 10:36:13 AM »

Last year, we had 'regulars' and 'newbies' come.
There were also those that lurk and came to the event as well.

There's approx. 30 new members since the last meet, and with the popularity that the Black Ice figure brought, I'd rather have a bigger hall.

Plus, I'm going to be listing some Joe Stuff on ebay in the coming weeks/months, and I plan on promoting the hell out of the next Joe Meet when I do it.

I don't want the Joe Meet to lose it's 'feel', but I'd also like it to be something that people that don't visit this site look forward to.

I stopped by the Church on Upper James today - they were closed.
I called them just now before logging on.... The biggest thing is the stairs.

I've done toy shows. They're a pain in the ass at times. I feel sorry for guys like Hal, Pete, and Steve whom have set up at all of the Meets thusfar... here they are loading up their vehicles, unloading them at the joe meet, taking everything down the stairs - setting up, being on their feet all day - then packing up and lugging it back up stairs?!

I plan on being one of those 'setting up' next year, and I know I don't want to lug crap up and down stairs! ;-)

The Bowling alley is still an option - I'm just seeking out other options before commiting to the Bowling Alley again.
Mike

AlleyViper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 11:35:03 AM »

Can I voice my opinion even though I haven't been to a meet yet, or any of these places? Well I'm going to anyway.

I think you should stick with the small place, save the money if you can for prizes or something. Are you really expecting 100 or more people to show up? Sure it would be nice but maybe not realistic. If you do get a ton of people and your in a small space, worst comes to worst, Raptor can take turns sitting on people's laps.  :shifty:  :shock:
mmmm...... \":timbits:\"