JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Enjoying the break from the breakneck pace of Joe releases.  (Read 4863 times)

FastFord58

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Enjoying the break from the breakneck pace of Joe releases.
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:12:44 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I am welcoming this much needed break from the deluge of releases from Hasbro. I mean...wave 9-13 all hit within the span of what, a couple months? Not to mention vehicle packs, DVD packs, vehicle waves and everything else.

Someone was saying they released as much product in one year as the entire 82-87 ARAH line. Crazy.

So now wave 14 isn't even on preorder yet, though it is on the horizon as carded pics have shown up of the BD BAT, the next wave of vehicles is pushed back to what is conceivably late winter early spring, and all that is in between are 1 comic pack wave and I think the VvV best of DVD set. Sweet.

I know that not all of this stuff has even hit up here yet, but it will give people a chance to catch up a bit too before the ramp up for Resolute and the Movie stuff.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

custo

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Enjoying the break from the breakneck pace of Joe releases.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 11:07:42 PM »

You are for sure right buddy, I'm so far behind on joes that this break is welcome indeed...then again i dont intend on picking up half the stuff they've released in the last couple months
ong Live the Iron Grenadiers

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:16:10 AM »

I'm welcoming any break, for sure!  It'll give me a chance to slowly build the cash to catch up on a few choice releases that I missed out on, the past few months.  Here's hoping they pace themselves, next time around - for all our sakes!

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 06:44:27 AM »

I wish I could have a reprieve...only just started buying the 25th stuff. All my life I've kept up on the Joes to a degree, but after the TRU repaints and then all that ridiculous Sigma stuff and really ugly molds of the last few years I stopped looking at the Joes. Then last month I saw a few of these in Wal-mart and now my OCD has kicked in again. In the 80s and 90s I bought every Joe I could, even Lobotomax and Predacon! My standards were forced to be lower during those dark days of generic weapon sets, firing missile launchers and Ninja Force. Now..well to be honest, very few of the ARAH figures are as nice as these new ones. I am able to keep Star Wars figures in the package, but these Joes demand to be posed and admired in hand, I would have to buy two of each if I was ever going to be content (OCD, again).

OK, so now here's the question I have: where can I get the early waves? Should I just keep going to Wal-mart? Ebay? Zellers? If I still lived in USA I am sure I'd have bought them all by the armload at TRU (American TRU may be the best store ever, Canadian TRU is just "really good"). But yeah, for my mental health's sake I need to get all the remolds of classic ARAH carded figures, but drivers/specialty figs interest me greatly too. The comics and TRU exclusives helped me get versions of at least some of the early wavers but I have hardly found all the comics and exclusives either.

So anyway that's my story about why it isn't a break for me yet. I do have over thirty of them so far but several of those are Iron Grenadiers, Cobra soldiers and guards.

Can someone please put my soul at ease and tell me I'll be able to get most of the remolds? It isn't like I need pimp Destro or Roddy. Though a They Live re-enactment would be fun :D

I am considering making up a checklist of all the carded ARAH from 82-89 and using that as a rough guide to collecting these new ones. I still seem to have them all memorized from when I was a kid, though the 89 series and beyond I am less knowledgeable about.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 08:37:10 AM »

I just placed an order at Small Joe for wave uh, I forget what wave now but the one with the Python Crimson Guard in it then I went back the next day and saw ANOTHER wave was in. I can't keep up. Please Hasbro, at most lets have one wave every 2 months at most. One every 3 months would be better.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Lt Storm

• View Profile
    • http://canadaseliteheadquarters.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 09:57:44 AM »

I guess I'm in the minority here or maybe its just because we are behind and or never even got the earlier waves that they have in the US.  I see all these people posting pictures of the "latest" wave and find myself hunting the stores for them.  I might agree more if we got the new waves at the same time they did in the US, but me, I want them now!  :lol:
When life gives you lemons...trade them in for oranges, they are much better for you.

Kronz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »

I did some major catching up today, but I still probably only have less than 50% of the carded figs, and a random asst of comic and tru-packs.

It is pretty frustrating that Hasbro is reissuing some pretty awful figures and premiering some lesser ones before I've had chance to even begin getting all the early waves. I mean, why the hell have they remolded that insipid '89 Snake Eyes? And why has he been remolded so much to begin with?

I believe I suffer OCD and this is actually causing me emotional distress, I am not even joking. Several years of Joes have no effect on my psyche (think 2000-2006) but the thought of missing any of these anniversary Joes really hurts. Maybe it's cause I grew up poor and always missed over a dozen Joes each year (counting drivers) back in the 80s (or my brother got the ones I wanted) and so now being able to say, buy Spirit or Croc Master in (arguably) nicer molds is too much to resist.

Maybe by Valentines or Easter I'll feel I can take a break.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »

As I only want two or three figures per wave, I can't get them fast enough. I can't wait for the red diver wave, and I'm searching in vain for an Airborne and an EELS.

The rest can hang (on the peg) for all I care...

- R
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

silentdusty

• Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 04:41:09 PM »

I'm still catching up on the goodies I want, particularly the new vehicle releases.
Silent Dusty

thatcarlguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »

My trip State side last week has put me in a position where I can chill out for awhile. I'm not sad about that in the slightest. Now I can turn my attention to displaying them nicely. I have a few ideas to try out.
I'm in the same position with my Transformers. I got Sideswipe and Ironhide recently from the Universe set and I'm ready to take a break. I even have a new "direction" for my collecting of them. I plan on just getting G1 characters of the Universe line preferably Autobot cars. They look really great standing together in front of my giant 20th Anniversary Prime. :)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »

Hopefully this break is for a couple of months.......
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Storm.Shadow

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »

If not for the upcoming movie I'd agree that a break would be nice, however.....given that we're about to see nothing but movie stuff in a few months I'm quite happy that they're cranking out the figures right now.  It already seems like we're getting fewer and fewer "classics" with the recent waves.  For the most part the last bunch of waves are looking like Resolute and re-paints.