JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: What was your favorite G.I. Joe christmas present?  (Read 5524 times)

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
What was your favorite G.I. Joe christmas present?
« on: December 01, 2010, 09:07:03 AM »

I guess the subject says it all.

What was your favorite G.I. Joe christmas present?  or What is your favorite G.I. Joe christmas memory?

For me I remember getting the Gung Ho Hall of Fame figure (12") from my sister when it came out.  My other favorite was when my wife bought me the re-release of the Mobat with Thunderwing and Heavy Duty.  This was our second christmas together when we were dating and it was the very first G.I. Joe product she ever bought me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Re: What was your favorite G.I. Joe christmas present?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:10:18 AM »

I was born in '72 so my dad thought I was too old for toys.  :'(

Mind you, few years ago my Mom picked me up a couple of those Crimson Hiss tank sets when they first came out in the US. So I guess owing my own house and having a family, they have finally come to except that buying toys does not mean you cannot function in the adult world.  :wink:
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 11:50:17 AM »

After receiving my first Joes for my birthday in October, I got the Skystriker and the APC for Christmas.
Say no to AFA.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:31:20 PM »

probably the Skystriker and Rattler.

even if the bloody landing gear on the Rattler broke that evening. *kwies*
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 12:41:46 PM »

Not fair guys, I have no Gi joe related Christmas memories, true story  :) For me, Christmas was all about Star Wars when I was a kid. My mother would buy my brother an I a figure each, and then we would go to bed early on the Eve, and wake up at 5-6am to unwrap our figures. The funny thing is we knew already which figures we were getting, as we actually always went shopping with our my mother to make sure we got the figures that we wanted. Nope that still didn't ruin our Christmas!  ;D

My Joes were not given to me on any special occasion if you ask, not even for my birthday.
2 + 2 = 22

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:49:26 PM »

The Cobra Hydrofoil!  Loved that thing!
My favourite non Joe item was the AT-AT when Empire.
It was set up under the tree with Luke Skywalker hanging off the bottom! - I am doing the same thing this year for my son.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
Not fair guys, I have no Gi joe related Christmas memories, true story  :) For me, Christmas was all about Star Wars when I was a kid. My mother would buy my brother an I a figure each, and then we would go to bed early on the Eve, and wake up at 5-6am to unwrap our figures. The funny thing is we knew already which figures we were getting, as we actually always went shopping with our my mother to make sure we got the figures that we wanted. Nope that still didn't ruin our Christmas!  ;D
My Joes were not given to me on any special occasion if you ask, not even for my birthday.

I'm with LJ, I had Transformers G1 when I was a kid.  I remember getting Optimus Prime and kept yelling out "Lets Roll Out"  My first Joe for Christmas was last year and my wife yelled at me for spending too much money...  :mrt:  The worst part is I remember her yelling at me more then the Joes I bought that pissed her off...  :lol:
Lurking

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 04:02:08 PM »

I have 2 moments. Getting the Devilfish from my sister in '87 I think. Awesome vehicle! This was really special because growing up as 1 of 7 kids money was real tight, so we didn't always get a Christmas gift.
In fact I can't recall getting another gift until I was almost 17.

Second moment was a couple of years ago. My wife was asking me what I wanted for Christmas and I kept saying toys, to which of course she rolled her eyes and said she wasn't going to buy me toys. She wanted to get more me practical stuff (tools). Well I got practical stuff but she also got me a $50 gift certificate to my favourite comic book/toy store. Needless to say on boxing day I bought myself some nice 25th joe figures and a 25th firebat that were on a boxing day sale (20% discount). That will probably be the only time she'll ever do that.

Yup those were 2 great occasions.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 05:10:34 PM »

I am with morg on the too old thing, but I did get diecast HAL and FLAK.  My brother got Gung-ho and Torpedo - I felt robbed.

But thinking just now, it had to be the Dragonfly with Wild Bill.  What a great toy!  Never knew about the compatibility with Doc's stretcher until recently though.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »

Quote from: "pdaat"
I am with morg on the too old thing, but I did get diecast HAL and FLAK.  My brother got Gung-ho and Torpedo - I felt robbed.

But thinking just now, it had to be the Dragonfly with Wild Bill.  What a great toy!  Never knew about the compatibility with Doc's stretcher until recently though.

And I didn't know about it until just now. Explain please.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 06:40:07 PM »

The little pegs on the underside of the stretcher are designed so that they can hold the stretcher in place if you lay it across the landing struts.

I think it is in Bellamo's latest guide.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »

I got Stormshadow v1 from my grandmother in 84. Still have him complete. It meant a lot because:
a) I'd looked EVERYWHERE for him and she remembered (from the other side of the country)
b) he was my favourite Cobra
c) she usually sent me ugly sweaters
I picture my grandmother searching through pegs for her little grandson's X-mas wish and I smile.   ;D
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!