JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Hasbro Profit Drops 71%  (Read 5519 times)

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Hasbro Profit Drops 71%
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:22:02 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Profit Drops 71%
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:07:52 PM »

Canprime posted this earlier in the what makes you laugh thread...

http://www.joecanuck.com/joe/board/index.php?topic=5481.0
Lurking

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »

Hmmm, drop the price of G.I. Joe, realize most of us want an 80's style cartoon like we had when we were kids that we can watch with our kids (not renegades or resolute), ship all product to Canada (including store exclusives) and show up / support the next Canadian G.I. Joe convention on June 18th, 2011. By supporting the CJC I mean throw Mike a bone and let him have access to at least 3 molds and say "Here, we'll give you 500 of these figures and it will cost you $3.00 a unit. Go cover your convention costs and help promote our product for us."

Geez, that sorta turned into a bit of a rant, didn't it?

For the record, I have NO idea what a figure would cost from Hasbro. I just made that number up.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »

Quote from: "morgardee"
Hmmm, drop the price of G.I. Joe, realize most of us want an 80's style cartoon like we had when we were kids that we can watch with our kids (not renegades or resolute), ship all product to Canada (including store exclusives) and show up / support the next Canadian G.I. Joe convention on June 18th, 2011. By supporting the CJC I mean throw Mike a bone and let him have access to at least 3 molds and say "Here, we'll give you 500 of these figures and it will cost you $3.00 a unit. Go cover your convention costs and help promote our product for us."

This ^^  :timbits:

And by cancelling the "recent" Target exclusives (now available at XYZ low cost store), Hasbro allows people selling those toys for $20 and more each. That alone show Hasbro don't understand how to market their brand and make profit from it.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:25:37 PM »

Something I just thought of...

Back in the 80's, prices of figures would never "drop". If I saw figures priced at 50% off, usually this would be due to the store closing down.

Just saying: GI joe in the 80's seems to have been a success because people kept buying until the line lost steam so to say and the buyers lost interest in the brand.

Nowadays: we seem to be expecting a sale or a serious drop in prices from time to time. But back then, this was something unthinkable. Could it be that the prices for toys just went too high? Or is that the bar is been set higher amongst collectors in general? Are parents really willing to pay 10 a pop for a Joe, or for 5$ more buy a Transformer for their kids?

Gi joe is not all Hasbro's got, so maybe there are other brands that are not selling too well. How well are POC sales doing?
2 + 2 = 22

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »

More and more people wait for the almost monthly 2 for 1 sales at TRU or Zellers to buy toys.
Some even wait for those sales and return their toys  that they bought at full price to get a refund.
At some point, it's no wonder stores don't order as much... Just saying...
Say no to AFA.

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
  • phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 04:41:43 PM »

Quote from: "martin-montreal"

This ^^  :timbits:

And by cancelling the "recent" Target exclusives (now available at XYZ low cost store), Hasbro allows people selling those toys for $20 and more each. That alone show Hasbro don't understand how to market their brand and make profit from it.

That's not Hasbro's fault that Target decided to cancel their own exclusive.  We are lucky enough that Ross got them at all.  Ross stores helped the Joe line out of inventory problem they were having with a bunch of stock that got backed up because of canceled orders or slowing moving merch preventing further waves from coming out.  Despite that, the Joe team hates the fact they had to put out so much product in the discount shops because it's watering down the line.  So it's not all their fault that issue is coming up.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »

Quote from: "Redmao"
More and more people wait for the almost monthly 2 for 1 sales at TRU or Zellers to buy toys.
Some even wait for those sales and return their toys  that they bought at full price to get a refund.

+1  :timbits:
2 + 2 = 22

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"

Man, I'm falling behind in timbits. LJ's got twice as many as me. I gotta start blackmailing people or something... :-
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »

Man, I'm falling behind in timbits. LJ's got twice as many as me. I gotta start blackmailing people or something... :-

+1 for planning to Blackmail people!
Lurking

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 11:04:19 PM »

This is your lucky night : Snake !

2 + 2 = 22

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »

Pity Timbit en route.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.