JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: peg warming a bad sign?  (Read 5393 times)

Bandalero

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
peg warming a bad sign?
« on: September 10, 2008, 08:31:40 AM »

Ok for months you've heard me gripe about the big box stores in my area not getting in new G.I. Joe product, and when they do it's literally one case that doesn't last long when put on the shelf.

And we've heard Hasbro Canada will be ramping up their distribution in "the Fall", but from the posts I read around here about your toy findings it looks like my neck of the woods is considered the boonies of shipping.

But now I'm starting to see product coming in and it's a little alarming.  In the last few weeks the TRU at Yonge/Hwy7 has had the DVD packs and at least 15 wave 7 Vipers hanging on the shelf!  The Wal*Mart at Markville Mall has what I've counted as two solid boxes of the vehicles and they haven't moved off the shelf for weeks!  And the Super Wal*Mart up at Stouville has had wave 8 warming their peg for weeks as well.

I suspect this is because we all already got our fill of wave 7, 8, DVD-packs, and wave 1 vehicles already.  But I'm worried that the big boxes are going to view this as the toyline not moving and taking up valueable shelf space.

yeah yeah, first I complain we're not getting new product, now I'm complaining about the peg warming old restock :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
Re: peg warming a bad sign?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 09:57:07 AM »

I used to worry about that...

I live in a pretty small city that no one really goes to unless they live near it, and the Walmart here rarely got any of the 25th Anniversary Joes and when they did, it seemed to move pretty fast.  Now, they've got a full case of the the Major Bludd wave sitting on the peg that's been there for the past three days.

Really, I don't think it'll discourage stores from ordering in or displaying more.  They've got room to open up a second peg, if they get more.

I don't think you'll need to worry until you see the "power wall" of Joes sitting unmoved, like so many movie lines before it.  Next summer, with the movie out, will be the real test.  Personally, for now, I'm happy that I'm seeing them for sale at all, outside the small comic shops.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 10:15:06 AM »

I would wait and see how the fall plays out.  With the Christmas season coming, it should pick up sales across the board.  However I understand, and I also think the ridiculous case assortment for the vehciles is going to be a problem.

freakx2001

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »

I blame the fact that they are on those dumb international cards as why they are not selling.  People associate the "American" cards with being a kid, it was all about the art work, now with these new "international" cards, you are paying $10 for a crappy little figure, not the memory you once had, and barely even a collectible.

the above is just my opinion, but all I know is when I go to the states I go around to as many stores as possible trying to buy the single card figs up, and when I see them here in Canada, I just pass them by...

Sidenote: 2 more days until my next states run. Heading to Orlando through Syracuse. checking 3 x Target, 3 x Walmart, and 2 x TRU... woo hoo!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 07:05:45 PM »

They aren't exactly peg warming. They're just staying on the shelves for a week or two - like every other toy that's not in ravenous insane demand. 

The kids are going back to school, and budgets are stretched thin for school supplies, which cost a lot more than you'd expect. This stock will thin out by christmas, and we'll be back to fighting for everything again.

The vipers are a bad toy - the wrists are crap and the goggles won't stay on without glue. They are good for exactly one pose, and can't even hold thier weapons in any other, which makes them pretty unplayable to kids.

Until I figure out a way to fix them, I'm sticking with 3.

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 09:40:55 PM »

lol. This forum went from "I can't find them, Hasbro needs to up production" to "oh noes! they are pegwarming!"

Unless something has drastically changed in the week that I've been here in China, I'm betting the stores in my area will STILL be bare of anything Joe related.

Also, I've seen select figures (Snake Eyes, Viper, Wild Bill, Torpedo) sit on shelves for a week or 2, but they ALWAYS sell eventually. That's likely all you are seeing.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Bandalero

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »

lol yeah I know that's why I mentioned that first I was complaining about no stock, now old stock heh.

I hope it's the case, school starting back, we're on a verge of a federal election, I hope by xmas it thins out.  It's still scarey to see the TRU at Yonge/7 with 15 Vipers on it's peg though.  When army builders are turning their noses up at this figure you know it's gotta be bad.

What i'd like to see are BATs peg-warming  :shifty:

Anyways, to curb my insatiable need for G.I. Joe I've gotten hooked on Transformers Animated and that's definitely one thing that Hasbro Canada ensures is on all toy shelves here!  Top-rated cartoon on it's soon to be third season, cartoon-accurate toys, and dare I say - excellent distribution in Canada!

custo

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 10:26:38 PM »

I haven't seen a single vehicle, and all of 3 figures in Montreal...so no im not worried about peg warming - in fact im hoping for some
ong Live the Iron Grenadiers

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 12:18:16 PM »

Looking at my local TRU (Victoria Park & Lawrence), I get the feeling we will be seeing a lot of product sit on the shelves.  Specifically at TRU.  The latest batch of vehicles (just HISS & Armadillo/Chariot) are on the shelves, wave 8 is on the shelves, with some wave 7, and the DVD packs are on the shelves.  Right now the only thing moving well is the comic packs, and that is probably due to pricing more than anything else. 

I can see the Armadillo/Chariots and wave 8 sitting for a long time due to the high price and low interest.  The HISS should move well, and so should the DVD packs.  However only time will tell for certain.

Zellers and Walmart don't seem to have the same problem.  Of course their price in general is cheaper than TRU's by a good 10% at least.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 04:19:57 PM »

Quote from: "custo"
I haven't seen a single vehicle, and all of 3 figures in Montreal...so no im not worried about peg warming - in fact im hoping for some
That's is because you didn't go to Les promenades St-Bruno recently...

http://www.joecanuck.com/joe/board/index.php?topic=2352.45  :wink:

Martin

custo

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 10:50:11 PM »

Quote from: "martin-montreal"
That's is because you didn't go to Les promenades St-Bruno recently...

http://www.joecanuck.com/joe/board/index.php?topic=2352.45  :wink:

Martin

Ya crazy how much stuff you found there - but it's hard for me to take a 30minute drive (an hour round trip)  just to buy joes. The gas alone would make it cheaper to order online.
ong Live the Iron Grenadiers

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 02:47:05 PM »

Ya crazy how much stuff you found there - but it's hard for me to take a 30minute drive (an hour round trip)  just to buy joes. The gas alone would make it cheaper to order online.

What do you drive, an aircraft carrier?

- R
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"