JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GI Joe 50th Anniversary Tribute by OB  (Read 41180 times)

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe 50th Anniversary Tribute by OB
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »

course what i want was, it looked like he was going to sock him in the nuts. typing too fast...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

GI.Suicide

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »

Hey oreo builder you do amazing work man.I have been following your 50th customssince you started the thread and being unable to post on your thread untill now, I must say that they are fantastic.. Great job .
I have a question. After you finish a custom and snap a bunch of photos do you break down the build and strip the paint and re use the parts or do you have a serious montage of all your builds ? I only ask because I recognize a few figures bodies/ accesories that used to be in my collection. 

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2014, 06:41:15 AM »

Hey oreo builder you do amazing work man.I have been following your 50th customssince you started the thread and being unable to post on your thread untill now, I must say that they are fantastic.. Great job .
I have a question. After you finish a custom and snap a bunch of photos do you break down the build and strip the paint and re use the parts or do you have a serious montage of all your builds ? I only ask because I recognize a few figures bodies/ accesories that used to be in my collection.

Thanks man. I don't generally re-use parts. Once they are painted, they are painted. I display everything I build as best I can. After my recent customs boom, I have some serious reorganizing to do in my basement display though.

OB

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2014, 06:41:40 AM »

50th Anniversary Day 31: AT Headquarters

This is it, the final (new) entry for this project. The original Adventure Team Headquarters was released in 1972. The Adventure Team was at the height of its popularity. The original set was made from hard plastic and soft vinyl (for the walls). It was designed to fold up into a carrying case. Its features included a central ‘’elevator’’, a working searchlight and a sliding front door. It was divided into 4 main areas:

-   The Map Room that had a table, maps and printed control stations
-   The Equipment Room containing storage spaces and a rack to store clothing and gear
-   A central area connecting the other three areas
-   A second Story Command and Control room

My custom is made from a few different components. I kept the layout of the 4 sections. The front 2-story part is made from an Animal Planet Dinosaur compound set. I removed the outside elevator, added a few controls and repainted everything to match the original. The Map and Gear Rooms are Playmobil garages. I added the accessories and furniture and painted everything in vintage colors.

The Adventurer included with my HQ is a nod to the ‘’Life-Like Body’’ GI Joe that was released in 1975. Also, if you look closely, you’ll see an Adventure Team helicopter backpack… Ok, you don’t have to look that closely.

Enjoy!

OB

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2014, 08:21:31 AM »

this whole project has been made of WIN and AWESOME from the beginning, but that may just be the awesomest and winnest of the lot.

great work man, a con set of HALF this stuff would put GIJCC to shame. Hell, a set of even a quarter of it would!

silentdusty

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »

this whole project has been made of WIN and AWESOME from the beginning, but that may just be the awesomest and winnest of the lot.

great work man, a con set of HALF this stuff would put GIJCC to shame. Hell, a set of even a quarter of it would!

Agreed, GIJCC take note of this man's work, this is what a con set should look like. I would buy this one. Hasbro should take note as well.
Silent Dusty

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2014, 08:50:07 PM »

Thanks for the kind words guys and thank you to everyone that posted/lurked/otherwise viewed this thread. I appreciate all the the support.

Happy 50th birthday Joe!

OB

kurt_eh

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2014, 11:12:29 PM »

Wow, fantastic work!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »

All around great work. Your posts are what made me come back on a daily basis.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2014, 07:16:04 AM »

I love that playset. Fantastic project. Should have flocked at least 1 guys head.  :)
Sadly all good things must come to an end.
Thanks for resparking my interest for a month. It's been awhile.

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »

Wow, nicely done!! Like morgardee it kept me coming back on a daily basis. Already missing the updates. :)

I've never really been motivated to look into the 12" guys, so 99% of the stuff here was new to me. Some pretty awesome stuff in these old sets. And you translated them into 3 3/4" so amazingly well. It's interesting, I was always all about Joe as a military team fighting a "bad guy", but these customs have made me think of the "adventure" aspect as a pretty cool approach to Joe. A new perspective you might say. It also shows that the evolution from the 12" to the 3 3/4" was a pretty natural one. Two big similarities that stick out to me:
The climate related themes remind me of the military specialties of the 80s Joes, and
All the gear which is one thing that made Joe so much fun in the 80s as well.

At some point I'd like to get more into the customizing aspect of the hobby (rather than just the accumulation of stuff, I'm in total purge mode right now), at which time I may contact you, Oreobuilder, for some tips and recipes! :)

Really great stuff!

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »

that was one distinct advantage Action Man definitely had over GI Joe.

the name.

Action Man can mean anything, whether it's soldiers, adventurers, emergency services or sports stars.