JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Canadian GI Joe Fan issues  (Read 3034 times)

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Canadian GI Joe Fan issues
« on: April 12, 2004, 03:05:39 PM »

Most everyone on this site is both Canadian and a GI Joe fan for life. But these are almost conflicting character traits. To be Canadian, you must be proud that you?re from Canada, and even more proud that you?re not from the United States. You must point out their national flaws, like their over-inflated patriotic ego, ignorance towards the value of strict gun control, and how they always generalize other nationalities. And when talking about Canada?s greatest, you don?t care how good we are, only how much better we are than the States. So how is it that we can all have these views embedded in our Canadian souls, and still enjoy a hobby involving flag-waving Real American Heroes?

There?s the obvious ?pretend they?re Canadian? route that Hasbro Canada tried to take on numerous occasions. They replaced the American flags on our stick sheets with Canadian flags. Later, they changed hometowns of familiar characters to Canadian cities. But does this make any sense? The line was still called ?Real American Hero?. And above and beyond, it was still a highly specialized military operation, something that is not only more of an American fantasy, but implausible based on Canada?s few enemies and the pennies we put towards our military each year.

I?ve taken Back-Stop as the main character of my Joe team; getting the Canadian perspective on the team as a whole and giving a Canadian voice to the missions they are sent on. I?ve also emphasised Cobra Commander?s American background, making the war Us vs. Ourselves for the Joes rather than Us vs. Them.

How have you guys dealt with the internal clash felt by being the fan of an American patriotic toy while being Canadian?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Updated!

AlleyViper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 08:27:27 PM »

Backstop doesn't play a role in my Joe universe.  I do have a Canadian Joe, codenamed Stonewall.  Now that I think about it, its damn near close to Backstop's name, but that wasn't intentional.  I haven't really developed the Stonewall character, but his codename comes from his abilities as a goalie, making him truly Canadian, a hockey player.    :)  

The Canadians don't really deal with international terror threats, thats why we have the US and thats how I use GI Joe, as an American force.  Since in real life, the US has the big budget for all sorts of these top secret troops, GI Joe, they get to use them.  They do have a few international members but its mostly Americans.

As for the use of Canadian stickers and such on vehicles, I just think of them as they were on 'loan' to Canada while the team was disbanded, but snatched back up once it was reformed.  And everyone knows that the CDN Army needs hardware upgrades big time, the use of an occasional Joe vehicle was accepted.
mmmm...... \":timbits:\"

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 03:01:17 PM »

I'm a dual citizen, so I get to enjoy the best of both worlds. :)

^Jon

SoundEffect

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/msfm/
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 11:04:17 PM »

Keep in mind that by saying 'Real American Hero' it need not be exclusively the 'states. United States of America is really the united states of North America, and Canada is still a part of North America. Just because they abbreviate themselves as Americans, for the same exact reason, we as Canadians can clain that moniker as well, we're Canadians of America, North America!

So my Joes were American heroes, in that they were North American heroes.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian GI Joe Fan issues
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 09:19:42 PM »

Quote from: ""Scramble""
The line was still called ?Real American Hero?.

Actually none of the Canadian packaging ever had "A Real American Hero" written on the figure or vehicle packages.  I didn't pay attention to this until Mike stumbled upon this at his store when I was there last time.

Quote from: ""Scramble""
How have you guys dealt with the internal clash felt by being the fan of an American patriotic toy while being Canadian?

It's never bothered me.  Why?  Most toys made are some how linked to being American, from comic book heroes to transforming robots.  So I just ignore the American backdrop.  GI JOEs released in Brazil and the UK did this by created there own story lines that were not American.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67