JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Let the gouging begin - ebay and Joe con 2008  (Read 2763 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Let the gouging begin - ebay and Joe con 2008
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:18:13 AM »

I'm just watching the ebay auctions for the 2008 stuff right now and I don't know if I should laugh or cry. People are listing the Joe 3 packs at double the cost from the start. I have sold off figures from convention sets in the past, like when I bought the Dreadnok sets and had extra main characters but I started them at cost ($xxx.xx / 15 = cost). My theory was if there is demand and the price gets raised then so be it, but at least I started at a fair point. Doubling the item from the start is a total cash grab. It's sad really. I've heard these all sold out, sold I guess I will never own these. I would have paid a slight mark up, but I'm not willing to pay twice as much or more.

That also gets me on another point. The moth sets were $25.00 each for 2 figures in a fancy box. the MC group has said the boxes increased the price of the sets. Well $65.00 / 3 = $21.67 for ONE figure. Someone want to explain that math to me?

If anyone knows of a person selling the Joe 3 packs for fair price please shoot me a pm.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Let the gouging begin - ebay and Joe con 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:27:57 AM »

One other problem    with the Exclusive stuff this  year ( for why the price is so high on ebay)   is the fact  that every single 3 3/4 exclusive was sold out.     
Zinthos.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 02:33:07 PM »

Did Master Collector put a cap on the number of exclusives that people could buy this year?  I thought I skimmed by a post on joecustoms about this.  If they did put a cap number, it didn't work as I saw sellers on ebay having inventory of at least ten 3-pack S.W.A.T. etc. 

In the end, what Dave has stated it true, it's a cash grab.  Many do this so they can re-coup their costs of the trip.  But come on, I know in the past when I have gone to New Orleans and Orlando, I have bought exclusives for other people and sold them at cost.  If you can't afford the trip in the first place and you need to scalp extra pieces on ebay, I don't think you should be going in the first place. It seems this year there were not to many "helpful" guys at the con. 

As for 2008, I have bent over and taken it up the ass to buy the 2008 MC exclusives off ebay at those prices.  So far, no one is selling the exclusives at cost including message boards.  It might be early but I am already seeing people treating the exclusives as gold and want a huge trading ransome back in return.  Whatever. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »

I managed to make a deal with ZombieGuide from JoeCustoms. I posted over there looking for an extra box and he replied and we agreed on a fair price. Then today I asked if there was any other leftover Joe con 2008 stuff. I got the last 3 pack of Joes for $90.00. Yes that's marked up but I look at it this way; if I managed to find someone to sell me the set off ebay for cost then it would be $65.00 plus $10.00 for shipping. If the MC group had leftovers it would have probably cost $20.00 in shipping as they always overcharge for shipping, bring the total to $85.00.

So for $5 - $15.00 more I got a deal with a person I like dealing with and since I was already buying the box, the shipping is free.

The other stuff like Hot Wire and Bull Horn I don't ever plan on owning. It is the MC group and the highway robbery of Rip it and Steeler that brought my days of owning one of everything to an end. Besides, I own Snow Bank.  :wink:
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 05:24:54 PM »

There was a cap but no one enforced it.  It was apparently too busy to monitor who kept visiting the MC store to buy multiple con exclusives.--What a joke there are guys on ebay selling 14+ of each item for a hugh mark up.  One guy had a best offer but every offer was declined.  I even went as high as $5 less than the buy it now.  There has to be a system to stop scalping of this magnitude.  Not fair to those who could not go to the Con.  MC should have withheld a portion of the exclusives for just such a reason and sold them online.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Deadshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »

I'd say  give it a little rime on ebay.. the prices  might fall somewhat.      Most of the  stuff this year wasn't that spectacular either IMHJO. 

So   if its in RI   like the rummor mill is projecting... who wants to split a room? 
Zinthos.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 01:09:46 AM »

Quote from: "Deadshot"
I'd say  give it a little rime on ebay.. the prices  might fall somewhat.      Most of the  stuff this year wasn't that spectacular either IMHJO.

The BATs look cool, but not for $56...
http://cgi.cafr.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130234458104&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

Martin

Deadshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 10:28:52 PM »

wow....... ::)
Zinthos.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »

That is nothing

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cobra-Headhunters-2 ... dZViewItem

$177.50 for the 3 3/4 freebie exclusive.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 01:01:19 AM »

There are a couple of reasons why this year's exclusives all sold out and are up on ebay.

2002 - Crimson Set
1) low quantity produced of actual crimson color sets (the fuschia set..well that's another story)
2) caught the community off guard
3) army builder set
4) no additional souvenirs except HISS that was attendee exclusive

This set was something different at the time, but in my opinion is not that great. That's why the prices for these are high

2003 - Operation Anaconda
1) can't recall the official number of sets but I think loose sets were 350
2) bonus souvenirs caught community off guard
3) HISS 2 limited to 350 and Firefly 2 pack 500 sets
4) no extras showing up on ebay from Asia

The box set was availalble at the club store after the con, but all souvenirs sold out on Friday. However, the cool air viper was available for the longest time.

2004 - Dreadnok Rampage
1) they increased the amount of sets and bagged sets
2) figures were flooded all over ebay from Asian sellers and still are
3) the set was not an army builder or desireable one for many
4) bonus souvenirs increased to 800 sets and they were lackluster

This is where the troubles began for the club. They would have to haul back a ton of unsold stuff that just took up storage space which has a cost associated with it. The con set and figure exclusives are still at the store.

2005 - Mars
1) awesome set with probably the same number of boxed sets as the year before
2) good exclusives
3) again, all available on ebay from asian sellers
4) they had to roll out a blue deck to get rid of the stock of tiger rays and at a price of $75

Community gets used to not rushing to get all pieces as they are widely available, with the exception of the sky hawks which I think sold out at the con. Club again has a huge amount of stock that sits in storage.

People who are on the fence can always pick up stuff at a later time or those who may not have the funds right away can do the same.

2006 - cobra's Most Wanted
1) Club increases the amount of exclusives to 1000. If they have not sold out in previous years, why do this?
2) the set was also lackluster as were all the exclusives in my opinion. they could have done a lot more with mortal, slaughter. the renegades were technically all identical.
3) figures no longer appear in mass quantity from Asia

Everything was available after the con. Slaughter eventually sold out because many had to get 2, one signed to keep MOC and one to open.

Also, wrestling fans wanted one.

The community continues to see that they can always pick things up later.

2007 - Anniversary set
1) good set
2) lowered the number of exclusives
3) no figs from Asia
4) no tanks but figs available
5) Piper fig

again, Piper sold out because everyone wanted one signed and MOC and one to open.
wrestling fans wanted a fig of one of the coolest wrestling characters.

Since the tanks were not available more people scooped up the 2 pack. That with the fact that the quantity was lowered.

The club realizes that in order to sell through everything, they have to lower the number of sets and exclusives.

They also realize that in order to get rid of vehicles, include a figure (which I think is genious on their part). That's why the club still has a ton of warthogs.

2008 - Headhunters
1) army builder set with fan favs.
2) decrease in sets produced
3) decrease in exclusives
4) no figs coming out of Asia
5) new character and mech for exclusives.

Now all hell has broken loose as all exclusives sold out. Even the box sets might be on their way to doing the same.

To sum it all up, the club is first and foremost a business. If they do not sell through all their exclusives, there is a monetary cost in continuing to store everything. They don't want to over produce and be stuck with items for years (like we see with what's still available at the club store). So they look to produce an amount that ensures nothing to take back as we saw with this year and the 2003 exclusives.

Obviously for the fans this sucks, as this leads to scalping. Not everyone is going to be able to get them, afford them, or willing to pay the price. The club can only do so much to stop people from buying multiples, but really do they care? As long as everything sells out, they made their money and don't have to take anything back to store.

If they go back to producing 1000 sets for each exclusive, they'll go out of business. As they'll sell maybe 2/3 of them and have the rest sit in storage for eternity.

They could have held some for non atendees, but they want to give people attending...well a reason to attend. It forces people to attend.

I'm sure the club can do many things to improve their image, but they need to survive as a business. They've made many mistakes through out the years, so the fans ahve to suffer. I won't defend the club. However as a business, I can agree with what they have to do.

I attended the 2004 and 2005 cons, which were a blast. During those years, the figs were all still easily attainable post con. So no need to hook anyone up.

It's true that there didn't seem to be a whole lot of helping hands to hook up everyone up this year. It could be that the people thay normally help out didn't attend or some people wanted to grab as many as they could to resell on ebay or recoup the cost of attending the con.

If someone has a chance to make a buck, they will. I don't blame them at all because that's the kind of society we live in.

Whatever the case, it seems the pandora's pox has been opened and from here on out that's just how it's going to be.

Sorry for the rant.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 09:22:23 AM »

Might be sad for some folks, but I think its a good thing they decided to shorten the production run. After all its an exclusive, so its supposed to be less available.

With all the left overs from the past conventions, it was getting ridiculous and I think it was affecting the Club's credibility (among many other things...).
Say no to AFA.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 11:04:52 PM »

Quote from: "Redmao"
With all the left overs from the past conventions, it was getting ridiculous and I think it was affecting the Club's credibility (among many other things...).

I think credibility is affected when a Collector's club doesn't understand their fans. In the past con, army builder always sold out quickly. The Crimson set was HUGE(!) and didn't cost a lot when 12 on 15 figs are all the same.

This year the BATS look pretty cool. I finally got mine (in fact 3 BATS) for $60 including shipping which is not too bad. Last year I bought the Cobra girls for $17 each + shipping.

Instead of eBay, the forums are much more helpful. Like Morgardee, I used ZombieGuide to hook me up with [s:15hcfhwx]Shockwa[/s:15hcfhwx]... Shockblast and Lowlight. John was pretty cool so here is the shameless plug (http://www.joearmory.com/2008mocmib.aspx): SWAT team are still available, use the promo code "welcome" and save 25% ($30/each), but he doesn't ship to Canada... I worked it out with a guy with whom I was making a deal. So I made John delivered there...

Martin