JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Shipping Joes to USA via Canada Post...  (Read 5542 times)

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Shipping Joes to USA via Canada Post...
« on: April 07, 2009, 01:46:03 PM »

OK so I am pretty frustrated with Canada Post right now. Since there is hardly any Joe product to buy in my area aside from five packs, I have amassed six Cobra sets. That leaves me with over a dozen figures to find homes for. So I put them on ebay knowing at the very least people will want Baroness. Since I am keeping all my Vipers and just one each of the rest I have a considerable amount of selling to do.

Anyway. So I have got single loose Joes from the states and it's usually marked with very inexpensive shipping, I think just under $2 for a small bubble envelope with one Joe in it. That's reasonable. So when I went to sell single Joes I figured I need to adjust for Canadian currency, postal rates and taxes so I put $4 for one figure and extras for $2.75. Now to Americans apparently that rate seems outrageously expensive and a clear sign I am trying to take profit out of the shipping rate. However when I went to ship one Baroness in small bubble mailer with two file cards and her accessories I was asked to pay nearly $6 to Seattle from London ON and that was the ground option.

Last week I shipped a box with four complete figures in figure bubbles in a small box it cost me nearly ten dollars. I thought THAT was expensive. Now I know I can't sell extra low-value figures on eBay.

Am I doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

darth cujo

• View Profile
Re: Shipping Joes to USA via Canada Post...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:11:39 PM »

That's the joys of canada post. As soon as a "package" (even an envelope) cannot squeeze through that little slot they have as a measuring tool, it becomes a parcel and they charge an arm and a leg even if it is light as a feather. I have wanted to trade figures on forums such as this, but the cost of shipping is usually more than a figure is worth making it unreasonable. Very frustrating. To send a single figure it shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks, but unfortunately it does. So no, you're not dong anything wrong.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:20:02 PM »

I've found a way to send loose Joes to people - cheap.

Ask them first if they mind re-assembling them. Unscrew the back and put all parts in a ziplock bag, then a padded envelope. They slide through the slots easy enough and cheap enough.

Sadly, I just figured this out about a month or so ago.  :lol:

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hjlcollectibles.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »

Do you have a venture one card? if you do you should get 5% off the postage and if you pay online you get 6% off postage.
That is what I have been told from the post office.
Come visit my store at
http://www.hjlcollectibles.com

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:32:45 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike?"
I've found a way to send loose Joes to people - cheap.

Ask them first if they mind re-assembling them. Unscrew the back and put all parts in a ziplock bag, then a padded envelope. They slide through the slots easy enough and cheap enough.

Sadly, I just figured this out about a month or so ago.  :lol:

that's brilliant!  i'm gonna try that next time i ship!
Wherever you go, there you are.

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 07:20:38 PM »

Canada Post is stupid expensive.  I was selling some old Marvel Overpower Cards and a small stack in a small bubble envelope cost about $3.  Thank god I could avoid the whole customs slip dealy by calling them "Paper goods"...  long story short, Canada Post sucks.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:34:05 PM »

As long as the envelop isn't over 2cm in thickness you can use letter post.  I've done it many times.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 10:06:55 PM »

Quote from: "Kronz"
Now I know

... and knowing is half the battle!!  :wink:

The best way to avoid shipping fees, is to meet people at the Con, May 2!

I'm surprised Mike didn't tell you that before  :lol:

Martin

thatcarlguy

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:35:27 PM »

I once sent a Batman Begins poster to my friend in Georgia and I paid extra for 10 day shipping. It took 4 months...

freakx2001

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:11:58 AM »

Canada Post has been killing me as well. Lately I've got into trading my ARAH Joe parts for stuff I need.  So I've worked out numerous deals for stuff, but the shipping always kills me. last week I got a couple of packages from some Americans, and the shipping was ~$1.18 & ~$1.35 for those little bubble envelopes. For me to send the same size package back it cost $6? that is crazy.

On a sidenote the shipping cost in the states is so cheap, and I hate when people in the USA on Ebay, think shipping to Canada is like some foreign country half way across the world and charge crazy expensive prices, then you get the package and its like 1/3 of what you paid...  >:(
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:14:02 AM by freakx2001 »

Kronz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 01:45:26 PM »

Man this is so frustrating. It's no wonder so few Canadian sellers are to be found on eBay these days. What I worry most about is that someone will try to "report" me for outrageous shipping even though I am taking a dive by offering it at less than I pay.

And a huge gripe abot eBay: there is no excuse for them to ban people from trying to cover the paypal and ebay fees in BiN listings. I mean c'mon. In my mind listing and payment fees are HANDLING. It makes sense that an auction with bidders could not adjust shipping and handling for a FVF but if it's BiN the sale price is accounted for.

Anyway, I think I will only sell things that will cause bidding wars if I have to list in the future. Trying to be charitable once again bites me in the ass.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 02:01:40 PM »

List a rough idea of what the shipping price is for your item BASED from CanadaPost.ca

Include a link and your postal code for them to check it out for themselves with your listings.

The fees are a part of using their service. I don't see why you would charge others to pay your fee. There was someone on here before that wanted me to pay his paypal fees if I bought something from him. I never bothered to reply.

What I don't agree with, is PayPal taking a portion of the shipping price as a TOTAL for the money you get. THAT cuts into any money you actually make. I've never liked that, and have always rounded up to the nearest dollar because of it.