JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Shipping back goods to Canada while in the States  (Read 1921 times)

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Shipping back goods to Canada while in the States
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »

Im thinking of shipping some stuff back from the States to home while on vacation, is there anything special you have to do for customs for this?  Do customs actually link what you declared at the airport to what you shipped (I dont think its possible)?  What do you do for return address?  Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping back goods to Canada while in the States
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:02:47 AM »

http://http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html#s4

It would be just like importing an item, as if you were ordering the item from stateside, while in Canada, except you have to fill out the declaration slip at the US Post Office to get the item sent up via the mails.
Once back home here you can receive it in the the normal way. Now, you MIGHT have to declare it upon return at the border crossing or customs kiosk, and I'm not clear what takes place then. I'd keep an receipts from the purchase then for customs, but just be aware that you MIGHT get double-billed in such a case. Don't worry, because you can get such a thing reversed and get the money back.
Best advice: call them up and ask--they have folks there that can answer the question directly and give you advice on how to proceed.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:34:29 AM »

cool thanks.  So basically if I declare the goods to follow on the customs form while traveling and get dinged for customs fees on my package, I can get that money back since that would be under the 750 duty free.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »

cool thanks. So basically if I declare the goods to follow on the customs form while traveling and get dinged for customs fees on my package, I can get that money back since that would be under the 750 duty free.

It depends.
Remember that not all goods are charged duty. Items like most toys ( action figures for sure) HAVE NO DUTY CHARGES. You can be dinged for GST/PST or HST only.
There's also exemptions applied to goods depending on the length of your trip outside of Canada and these can waive any duties or GST.

If you declare an item that you are mailing to yourself to Customs, they cannot double-charge you for the items. Make sure you keep those receipts separate from the stuff you are actually bringing across in person. and make mention that they are being mailed. The agent should process them differently.

But again, do not take my word for it........call Customs and Excise and ask them to be sure.