JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Waaaay off topic, Mortgage rates down to 2.99%  (Read 2284 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Waaaay off topic, Mortgage rates down to 2.99%
« on: January 16, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »

OK, so this has NOTHING to do with G.I. Joe but it's worth sharing. BMO has dropped their 5 year fix mortgage rates down to 2.99%. This is a 5 year fixed rate. It has some limitations like if you win the lottery you can't flat out pay off your house without a penalty, but even that was pretty minimal. A couple of other things as well but nothing major.

I did what is know as a "blend and extend". This is the 3rd time I've done a blend and extend. With that you can take your current mortgage and merge it with the new rate and lock down the new rate for 5 years at that rate. I just shaved 5 months off my mortgage and can now say I have 5 years and change left on my mortgage and then I debt free. That is an awesome feeling, knowing I'm so close.

It is worth spending 15 minuets on the phone with them to find out if this is something that will help you.

The Bank of Montreal moved its five-year fixed mortgage rate to 2.99 per cent late Thursday — the lowest posted rate from a major bank in Canadian history.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/01/13/mortgage-rate-low.html
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
Re: Waaaay off topic, Mortgage rates down to 2.99%
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:38:25 AM »

OK, so this has NOTHING to do with G.I. Joe but it's worth sharing. BMO has dropped their 5 year fix mortgage rates down to 2.99%. This is a 5 year fixed rate. It has some limitations like if you win the lottery you can't flat out pay off your house without a penalty, but even that was pretty minimal. A couple of other things as well but nothing major.

I did what is know as a "blend and extend". This is the 3rd time I've done a blend and extend. With that you can take your current mortgage and merge it with the new rate and lock down the new rate for 5 years at that rate. I just shaved 5 months off my mortgage and can now say I have 5 years and change left on my mortgage and then I debt free. That is an awesome feeling, knowing I'm so close.

It is worth spending 15 minuets on the phone with them to find out if this is something that will help you.

The Bank of Montreal moved its five-year fixed mortgage rate to 2.99 per cent late Thursday — the lowest posted rate from a major bank in Canadian history.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/01/13/mortgage-rate-low.html

The rate is nice, but the actual restrictions are pretty prohibitive if you try to pay early, make accelerated payments or want to make pretty much any changes to the payment schedule/amount.  It is good if you want to sit on it for the next 5 years, but I can see it bringing in more people who probably shouldn't be getting into the home ownership game just yet.  As a home owner, at least it will help to keep prices rising!!!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »

The rate is nice, but the actual restrictions are pretty prohibitive if you try to pay early, make accelerated payments or want to make pretty much any changes to the payment schedule/amount.  It is good if you want to sit on it for the next 5 years, but I can see it bringing in more people who probably shouldn't be getting into the home ownership game just yet.  As a home owner, at least it will help to keep prices rising!!!

That rate is the lowest it's ever been from a major Canadian bank. The average 5 year fixed rate in Canada for the past 10 years is 6.32%. When I first bought my house I was close to 7%, so 2.99% is excellent news and does indeed make it a good time to buy a house if you are thinking about it.

I don't understand why you think it's hard to make any changes to your payment. You would get hit with a penalty is you paid off early, that is true. It would be either 3 months of interest (in my case less then $600) or there was another penalty that eludes me right now and obviously the bank would take the higher amount . Either way, the penalty was worth it, if you paid off early. That's a big if.

You do have the option to increase your monthly payments once per year as well as you have the option to make a one time payment of up to 10% of the balance, again once per year within that 5 years. So yes, you can make changes to your policy as long as you do it withing the contract.

However, I am accelerating my mortgage by overpaying it over $200 a month. I have been doing this for well over 10 years. I bought my house with a 25 year mortgage when I was 24 years old. I will have it paid off around my 44th birthday (I plan to increase payments towards the end once again). So I've reduced it from 25 years to around 20 years and change.

Either way, I still think it's worth any board member's time to call BMO and spend 15 minutes talking to one of their people. I saved 5 months of time and $538.31 cash just for making that one phone call.  :)
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:30:49 PM »

My variable rate has been under 2% for almost the duration of the mortgage. Thrilled with that.
But that said, if the fixed is under 3, I'll be signing up for that next year. Over 3%, and I'd probably go variable again and try to make extra payments to off-set any time that the rate may go up in future.

(Timbit for being 5 years away from debt-free. I've got about 13 years to go. That's not even countdown time yet...)
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:36:35 AM »

2 more years..........
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.