JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Joe Meet 2007 : Thoughts and Comments!  (Read 27555 times)

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Meet 2007 : Thoughts and Comments!
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 04:04:13 PM »

Speaking of tired, Tina and I forgot our air matress at your place. We're getting a new one anyway so I guess you can do what you see fit with that one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Updated!

xhairs

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/XHAIRS_photos/
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 04:33:33 PM »

yes it was a great time and next year i can see it being even bigger . i cant wait to see all of you guys agin. this will be as close i can get to a joe con and its such a great thing to be able to met the ppl from the net and see them in person and get to know you guys. i brought alot back with me. now lets bring on the next one.
CUSTOM TOYS ARE THE BEST TOYS !!!!!!!!!!!!
ORING, CLASSIC & RESOLUTE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 05:41:18 PM »

Quote from: "Scramble"
Speaking of tired, Tina and I forgot our air matress at your place. We're getting a new one anyway so I guess you can do what you see fit with that one.

Dude, I think you're supposed to keep the pillow talk to PM's.

I can't figure out how to use the jury rigged cap anyway. :shifty:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:54:53 PM by Raptor »
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

narceron

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 08:19:25 PM »

Are we gonna see some pics?

My favorite part of any con is always the pictures.

Its fun to see what crazy stuff people do, what they look like, etc.

Good write up scrams, :)

narceron

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 08:24:29 PM »

Quote from: "Realboss"
Moto Viper!

Dude flew all the way from Australia to win Best Custom and 1st place Speed Painter. 

Man, I really gotta read more closely, I've always thought moto was a chic, doh!

Please don't hit me, please don't hit me, I'm inept, incompent, etc. . .

I was basically drawing on my wife's "Moto, thats a cool name for a viper."

Doh!

I think I will avoid the joe canuck meet, don't need to get beat up on foreign soil, :)

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »

Moto's totally sick, so I wouldn't worry too much about him beating on you. ;-)

But your gender bending feedback was a topic for humor and ridicule at your expense though. :lol:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Sputnik

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2007, 08:59:16 PM »

Now that I finally figured out what my log in for this site is... :shifty:

ViperLord - Man, you are the hardcore. It was SO good to meat you in person. You kept me laughing the whole time. I gotta say though, that by the time you whupped me at all those TCG hands, I had been running on 18 hours of awakeness, plus coming out of having a cough/cold the day before, and I KNOW I was missing stuff that would have helped me beat you (like Saw Viper abilities...) So it looks like I will HAVE to come down to Atlanta for that other con, as I have a rematch coming to me 

Moto - It's awesome that you made the trip. I know you weren't feeling too good and you seemed to have been cold THE ENTIRE TIME, so I salute you for making the trip. You and Andrew seemed to make it your mission to keep AG and I company at our table too, and that was cool. I just can't say enough how glad I am that you made the trip. And holy crap, man. What you did in an hour for the speed painting contest... AWE INSPIRING.

Stealth Viper - You were right. Hulkburger BAD!  We didn't get to hang out as much, but your kid IS adorable, I'll give you that. I wish that we had been able to stick around for more fun on Sunday.

Mike - Damn man you put on a good show. Thank you so much for making it all happen, and for opening the doors to use clueless American dealers with all our useless Star Wars crap.  We had a blast, and I am pumped at finally getting my hands on that Night Force Whale. And, yes, you were right, the Toy Room IS truly a sight to behold. Makes my measly 1 shelf of Boba Fett stuff look sort of like a joke though... Thanks again for everything.

Nova - Thank you for both clearing out the v1 BATs, and leaving me some Snow Serpent goodness. I had more money to spend on the SSs since there were no Bats to buy  And as for the Crystal Army. I've seen it before, it's awesome, but everytime it gets better and better. I don't know how you come up with the set up that you do of the cuff like that. Every figure was posed as if you had the thing choreographed, but I know you couldn't have. Thanks for bringing the Crystal Blanka too, it was good to see him in action

There are so many others I would have liked to have talked to more, like Pete, ViperDave, NFC, and so on... heck, I didn't even KNOW Xhairs had been there until today  :-

We are definately planning on a repeat visit for next year, though we would plan it a bit better. Even though I was sick one way or another the entire time, I had a blast. We moved some of our over purchased stuff, found some amazing deals on some long sought items and fetish items ( Snow Serpent v1 ), but the hanging out and chilling with likeminded individuals is what made the trip for me. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I know I'm forgetting stuff, but hey - This is a pretty good length of post to staet out with, considering it's my first post here EVER!
Never talk to me in the bathroom...

xhairs

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/XHAIRS_photos/
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 10:12:06 PM »

dont fel bad i didnt know 1/2 the ppl were there that were lol next year will make sure to know whos there for sure and i was a supprise lol.but i was there for the pic to show how tal you real are lol.
CUSTOM TOYS ARE THE BEST TOYS !!!!!!!!!!!!
ORING, CLASSIC & RESOLUTE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2007, 11:56:21 PM »

Heck, I have gone to all 5 events and I didn't know half of the people there this year.  The regulars are easy to remember as I have seen them more than one occasion.

Posting some pictures of members at the meet with their board handle and real life name would help people like me to remember who is who.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 12:15:47 AM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2007, 12:15:08 AM »

Definenlty   a good  idea.   I'm also in the  same boat. 
Zinthos.

savageplay

• View Profile
    • http://savageplay.spaces.live.com/Photos/
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 12:35:26 AM »

hey I was thinking about with the kids. maybe next year people donate what they can to a kids only auction.  That ways the kids can get a bunch of cool stuff. I know i have some stuff that'd i'd donate.

and everyone loves to win stuff....kids especially.

viperlord

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2007, 03:02:19 AM »

The Joecanuck meet is an event I recommend to every able bodied human being who is in the least bit interested in GI Joe.  It combines all the fun of the "official" Convention with a bargain basement price.  All the fun for half the cost.

DAY 1
My trip began when I arrived at the Omaha airport.  I checked my duffel and sent my suitcase (With Ryan's Sigma 6 figures) through the x-ray.  Apparently the blinking lights with TWO double A batteries was enough to cause alarm because they sent the bag back through the x-ray at least a half dozen times and called over 4 examiners to look at the machine.  It probably didn't help that I was laughing my butt off. . . 

I was crammed into the smallest freaking plane EVER in Omaha.  Like a canned ham I squished myself into the seat and took off for Detroit.  At least the connecting flight was on a decently sized plane that wasn't packed like a clown car :)

Arriving in Canada my trip through customs once again took all of five minutes.  I gave Raptor a call, but apparently he's too good to answer his phone ;)  Luckily I had Lance Sputnik's digits and was able to get an answer.  His lovely wife Chandra answered the phone and both were apparently amused that I asked for "Lance".  Sorry man, calling you Jay just doesn't work for me, you'll always be  Lance to me.

Then Raptor arrived to pick me up.  He was so cool in his dad's minivan that had I been a chick I would have TOTALLY made out with him!  As I waited for Moto-Viper, he made the loop (The circle NOT the artist) over and over.  Luckily for us Moto recognized me, because he had a freakin trenchcoat on over the clothes I was supposed to be looking for.  Pete the Australian (Moto-Viper) is a Bond Villain in training.  He has the accent, all he needs is the cat.  As we drove from Toronto to Raptor's house many things were discussed: cultural differences, cars, television, even a few Joes ;)

Arriving at the nest I was greeted by faces familiar and not so familiar.  Nova, Scramble, and Tank Girl I had met before.  But the two giants I had not.  Apparently they grow 'em big in Ohio because Lance and AmazonGrl are the two tallest people I've ever met.  I was expecting (Based on his Myspace picture) Lance to be about my height.  Between them, Nova, and Scramble I felt so short. . .

After a sumptuous taco dinner and birthday cheesecake (Happy Birthday Chandra!) we retired to the basement for various nerdly pursuits.  We got our first look at Raps' create-a-wrestlers including the AMAZINGLY accurate Big Brawler.  Watching him dry hump his opponents into submission was priceless.  I also kicked Lance's ass in 4 TCG matches.  It doesn't have a catchy name, but my yellow deck works OK :D   After a brief visit from THE Mike we retired for the evening. 

DAY 2
We rose and shone for Charles' eggs.  Despite his doubts, they were FABULOUS!  We dressed and loaded the MINIVAN!!!  Then of course we we had to hit Tim Horton's for coffee.  Personally I went for an energy drink instead, but with a convenience store that wouldn't take Visa ??? and lack of a USA compatible ATM it was a challenge.

Then we finally hit the Joe meet.  I had read the numbers, but NOTHING prepared me for seeing the hall packed with vendors.  We unloaded Raptor's van, checked in, and then the fun began. . .

Everytime I went near Lance and AG's table I spent money.  I like to talk to them, but dang that was expensive!  I got a TON of great deals, including a MIB Python Stun.  I checked out the AMAZING customs table and the contest entries.  I voted for Moto's figure (As did 64% of the other voters) based on the awesome paintwork.  Then I was dragged onto the stage for wrestling. . .

I couldn't even move my character.  Pete The Greek MERCILESSLY beat me into a bloody pulp and pinned me.  It was the most embarrassing showing ever :'(  Only a few Timbits and Pepperettes managed to console me.  I LOVES me some pepperettes :) 

Then came the speed painting.  I bought my figure (I was disappointed that I didn't get the Serpentor headed one) and bought in one of the kids that was interested in what we were doing.  There was some AMAZING paint work going on there.  Hell I think even the little kid did better than I did!  Plus my paint never fully dried.   But it was fun!  Again Moto took home the prize and again it was well deserved.  I am AMAZED that he did that figure in under an hour.

Then came the big drawing for Black Ice and Joecanuck.  I REALLY wanted Joecanuck but Ed won it.  Mike later described the look on my face as if someone had kicked my puppy.  But I'm glad that it went where it did.  After a quick clean up and pictures a group of us retired to Mike's place to check out his AMAZING toy room.  I REALLY wanted to just scoop his custom Star Trek figs into a bag and run like Hell, but I resisted.

Then it was time for dinner.  While we waited for our food Loop, Scramble, Lance, and I put together my Python Stun in front of a stunned Mike.  Silliness then ensued with balancing blueshirts, Skymates, and a BAAT.  Loop and I had hotwings (Which Mike strangely rejected. . .) and everybody ate.  We laughed, we conversed, it was great.

Back at Raptor's Scramble, Charles, Moto, and I examined eachother's hauls.  I literally filled all my bags to bursting and once again split open my backpack.  Exhausted we all collapsed into sleep.

DAY 3
Due to a last minute flight cancellation I got to stay an extra day in Canada and see Niagra Falls.  Scramble went into chocolate overload in the Hershey?s store, we all ate at the Hard Rock Cafe and enjoyed the LEGENDARY high prices.  Before I knew it it was time to go.  I stopped to buy some souveniers and Raptor, and Moto snuck off without saying goodbye.  As Ed was taking me to the airport the next morning I stayed with him.

We examined his AWESOME collection, talked Joes, laughed, and discussed "Shivergate" while he called Mike.  We stayed up until midnight before passing out.

DAY 4
5am comes early when you go to bed late. . .  Ed surprised me during my final repack by giving me an Electric Eel 2-pack.  He's a great guy.  We hit the Tim Hortons (Of course) and headed for the airport.  We actually avoided most of the traffic and were there in no time.  I said my final goodbye, zipped through customs again, and boarded a plane for home.  It was over.

I reitterate again: If you want to go and hang out with a GREAT group and not spend a ton to do it, the Canuck meet if for you.  I enjoy the Master Collector cons, but this is as good if not better.  A big thanks to everyone who made it all happen and I'll see everyone next year!!!
Me too!