JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Move out toybiz, here come Hasbro  (Read 3008 times)

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Move out toybiz, here come Hasbro
« on: February 08, 2006, 04:08:38 PM »

Have you guys read that:

MARVEL AND HASBRO JOIN FORCES

Hasbro Awarded Five-Year Strategic License to Marvel's Library of Over 5,000 Characters; Product Inspired by Spider-Man 3 Movie to be Among the First to Market

Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) and Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE:MVL), announced today a license under which Marvel has granted Hasbro toy and game rights to its renowned Super Hero universe that includes franchises such as Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-Men and Captain America. Through the agreement, Hasbro has obtained the rights to develop products based on Marvel's globally-known universe of over 5,000 characters in a wide range of toy and game categories -- including action figures, role play and preschool toys, board games and puzzles. The agreement covers both the "classic" comic book look of the characters as well as product lines inspired by Marvel-themed movies.

The five-year license gives Hasbro the rights to bring Marvel Entertainment-based toy products to retail beginning January 1, 2007. Hasbro's first full line of products based on Marvel properties is expected to center on Ghost Rider and the highly-anticipated movie event, Spider-Man 3, scheduled for release on May 4, 2007. Marvel has also agreed to provide services to Hasbro in connection with the licensed toys. The license guarantees Marvel $205 million in royalty and service fee payments, of which $70 million would be payable on the theatrical release of Spider-Man 3 and $35 million upon the theatrical release of Spider-Man 4. In addition, the license can be extended past the five year term, dependent on the number of other entertainment properties released during that timeframe.

"We are particularly pleased with this arrangement as it fits strategically into our plan to continually develop our home-grown core brands while aligning ourselves selectively with the best licenses in the business," Alfred J. Verrecchia, President and Chief Executive Officer of Hasbro, Inc. said.

"Hasbro's multi-year agreement with Marvel provides Hasbro with proven properties in categories where we have been long-time industry leaders," said Brian Goldner, Hasbro's President, U.S. Toy Segment. "Marvel's properties are a `who's-who' in children's and family entertainment and provide Hasbro with many exciting opportunities in the years ahead."

Tim Rothwell, Worldwide President, Consumer Media Group, Marvel Entertainment, added, "Hasbro is renowned in the toy arena. It supports its key brands with heavy promotional and advertising campaigns and their innovation provides consumers with an unmatched retail experience. We believe aligning with Hasbro as our master toy and game partner sets the stage for us to further extend the global and domestic reach and image of the overall Marvel brand."

Bruno Maglione, President, Marvel International, commented, "As we continue the process of developing our brands through a heightened mix of coordinated multi-media and product activity it was important to engage with a partner who understands how to leverage and optimize that sort of evergreen franchise approach. Hasbro brings that experience to the table, and with it, the ability and reach to execute globally. It's a perfect match."

David Hargreaves, Chief Financial Officer of Hasbro, Inc, said, "We are very pleased with this deal as it provides Hasbro with incremental revenues in high margin categories and allows us to maintain an appropriate balance in our portfolio of core brands and strategic licenses."

Juli Boylan, Sr Vice President, Sony Pictures Consumer Products, the limited partner in Spider-Man Merchandising LP, stated, "We are thrilled to have Hasbro develop toys and games for Spider-Man 3. We are very proud of the Spider-Man film franchise and feel Hasbro will play a pivotal role in its continued success."

The license is conditioned on its clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976.

Marvel Terminates Toy Biz License

Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE:MVL), announced today that is has terminated its licensing agreement with Toy Biz Worldwide Ltd., effective as of December 31, 2005, one year earlier than the license's scheduled termination date. As a result of the termination, in 2006 Marvel-branded action figures and other toys formerly produced by Toy Biz Worldwide will be produced by Marvel. Now, with full control over Marvel-branded toys produced for sale in 2006, Marvel will be in a better position to effect a smooth transition to Hasbro in areas such as toy development, manufacturing, shipping, and retail space. As a result of this early termination, Marvel will record a one-time cash charge of $13 million - $16 million in the fourth quarter of 2005 related to the early termination and reimbursed research and development expenses. The charge is not reflected in Marvel's financial guidance for 2005, last provided on November 9, 2005.

Marvel's Chairman, Morton Handel, commented, "While Marvel will own any inventory produced for 2006, our policy of predominantly
manufacturing to order should help mitigate our inventory risk Commencing in 2007, a wide range of toy and game categories - including action figures, role play and preschool toys, board games and puzzles - will be produced by our new licensee, Hasbro. We are very excited by the business prospects we see in teaming with an industry leader."

Additional Background on Hasbro License Agreement

The combined percentage royalty and fees to be received by Marvel from Hasbro will be generally lower than those paid by Toy Biz Worldwide, but Marvel believes that Hasbro's worldwide marketing, promotion and distribution strength should enhance the Marvel brand and Marvel-branded toy sales. In conjunction with the signing of the Hasbro license agreement, Marvel will receive a non-refundable advance of $100 million. There will be no immediate revenue recognition related to the advance payment.

The license is conditioned on its clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976.

Does that mean joe sized super heroes (better than the showdown lumpy figures)? What about ML... is it over?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Say no to AFA.

BludChylde

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 10:41:15 PM »

Wow. Thats the most informative info I have seen regarding the Hasbro/Marvel deal. So far its been Mavel gives license to Hasbro followed by nothing but speculation and conjecture.

With Hasbro in control, I am looking forward to any 3 3/4" Marvel figs Hasbro may plan. But I do agree, what will happen to ML?

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 08:20:15 AM »

This is bad news for all.

Seriously. There's a reason Canada doesn't get alot of the Star Wars line - we get tons - but not all.

Same will happen with the Marvel figs.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:49:23 AM »

Plus, they'll cancel the 6 inch line and SHS, move it up to 8 inch, and make them all anime styled.

As long as I get my damned Magneto before they cancel SHS, I really don't care. I hate them all.

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 04:12:48 PM »

Hasbro would be pretty dumb to cancel the popular ML line. I mean they are the best marvel super heroes action figures ever made.

I guess we'll see in the upcoming months what they intend to do with the characters...
Say no to AFA.

AlleyViper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 07:11:46 PM »

:( I don't like the sounds of all that.
mmmm...... \":timbits:\"

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 07:14:23 PM »

Yeah, we'll have to wait and see.
Toy biz still has a pretty solid year of stuff coming out.

Hasblow has always irked me. Even today I called them - didn't get a call back.

Weird.
They sell toys - but only if you're a major chain.
MIke