JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Vintage Joe Blues  (Read 3000 times)

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
Vintage Joe Blues
« on: May 24, 2006, 06:59:15 PM »

I'm starting to think I may not want any more of the new release Joes.  After looking at some of my old (original) Joe collection the new stuff just doesn't give the same vibes.  At one time I was excited to see new stuff.  But not anymore.  Now only the odd one out of all the stuff released I like.  Maybe it's the plastic they use now or the new joint design, or repaints, same molds on different figs.  I don't know They seem cheaply made.  The older figs just seem better, even the iffy ones like Battle Corp or Star Brigade.  Sure you have new detailed sculps and more detail and no broken thumbs or crotches (yet), but it seems the magic just isn't the same.   Am I faultering from being a Joe collector?---NO.  It may just be time to take a break from the new and focus on completing the old collection and enjoy what I already have.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Vintage Joe Blues
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 09:55:09 PM »

I was at this point last year.  The avalanche of joe stuff was killing me and only international items keep my Joe interest going.  But 2006 has been a slow pace in terms of product release and now I enjoy collecting again.

Most of the new sculpts have never cut it for me.  So I know where your coming from.  The 3 and 6 packs for the most part have bene great to get.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Tattoo Shane

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
Vintage Joe Blues
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:03:14 AM »

Isn't the point of being a collector just buying what you like anyways? You shouldn't feel obliged to buy everything a company crams down your throat just because you collect the line. Collect what you like and don't stress about it.
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
Vintage Joe Blues
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:22:26 AM »

Quote from: ""Tattoo Shane""
Isn't the point of being a collector just buying what you like anyways? You shouldn't feel obliged to buy everything a company crams down your throat just because you collect the line. Collect what you like and don't stress about it.

Agreed!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Vintage Joe Blues
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 07:33:43 PM »

Being a collector completist is a different beast all together.

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
Vintage Joe Blues
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 09:00:00 PM »

tell me about it.   :shock:
Zinthos.

Tattoo Shane

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
Vintage Joe Blues
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 01:07:11 PM »

Quote from: ""Pete The Greek""

Being a collector completist is a different beast all together.

Oh beleive me, i know it is. But no one's putting a gun to your head telling you to be. If you're not happy doing it, then stop. It's as simple as that. ;)
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Vintage Joe Blues
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 01:54:08 PM »

I should clarify.  Part of collecting for me is the thrill of the hunt (as Jon would put it).

It was the begging (me) and effort put in by a couple of Americans to get the items from the States into Canada that was killing me.  I hated to bother and ask people on a monthly basis to get "common" items I wanted.  As much as I like getting packages, the amount per week I was getting during certain waves was getting overboard. That isn't collecting unless your talking about some foreign item that you have to get from another country.  

I did stop being a completist last year to recharge.  The new stuff is pretty much easy to find.  Back to being a completist.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Vintage Joe Blues
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 03:01:04 PM »

It's shipping that killed me. It's the $200 I spent in the last 12 months on joes that did not in fact actually net me any actual joes.

I was never a completist (Though I am a character completist) but I can use customizing to fill in my gaps.

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"