JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: POSSIBLY Selling 27 Year Old Collection - Looking for Advice  (Read 4768 times)

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
POSSIBLY Selling 27 Year Old Collection - Looking for Advice
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »

I have been buying since 82.  I have about 600+ figures since the start.  Many vehicles as well.  Some MOC stuff.  A few European exclusives and some convention stuff.  Basically, the older stuff was well played with, so as the toys are older, the more likely they are in rougher shape.  From the 90s up, everythins is likely in very good condition +.

Often I struggle with having this stuff sitting around.  I purged a bunch of TF stuff years ago. 

If I were to seel such a collection, what would be the best way?  Ebay (likely)?  On boards?  I'd sooner sell it as one lot, but what makes more sense?

Hanve't committed yet, just looking at options.  It's not that I need the money right now (it would just go to my mortage free by 40 plan), just thinking about cleaning it out.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Re: POSSIBLY Selling 27 Year Old Collection - Looking for Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 11:56:30 AM »

Not really talking about the Joes, just a thumbs up to being Mortgage free by 40. If I stay the course then I'll be mortgage free by around 44. I've been overpaying so I shaved about 6 years off.

As for the European stuff, I'm always looking for those. I only have a few figures but that's because I'm not a big spender.  :wink:
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:04:52 PM »

Right now I am going to hit it by 41.

I have TF Outback and Psyche-Out frm Belgium as well as a carded Belgian Ozone and one of the Mega-Marine monsters.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:40:53 PM »

I would say to consider Ebay as the last of options.

I recommend opting for solutions that are more time efficient sellingwise. Like booking a table or two at next year's Canadian Joe Con. And have your sons help you out too! You'll have fun to be dealers for a change and I'm sure you'll be able to make the most out of the event.

Ebay involves a lot of shipping and follow-ups, this will only add more stress to your regular routine if you have a huge collection to mince down or clear. While selling it all in one shot mind seem like the solution, you will not be able to start selling it until you finish evaluating it if that's what you had in mind.

Darren Howlett had to go through selling his entire collection, I know he's busy right now with the new changes in his life but you could get in touch with him and see if he can give feedback on how it went for him.

The good news if even after your collection is gone, you'll have something to look forward one day when you have more leisure time : relive it all by collecting them again for the first time. Unless you intend to always look forward and not behind ( by that, I mean what you'll be collecting).
2 + 2 = 22

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »

Quote from: "pdaat"

That's awesome! Good for you.

My friend and I have a friend competition going here at work that keeps us both on our toes and helps encourage us to pay off our mortgages as fast as possible.

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »

Kid now in college.......slowing things down.....

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »

One big lot saves time, but you won't make as much.
Piecing it out means more money for the items that sell, but it'll be a pain with shipping/packing etc.
If you haven't sold on eBay before, lack of feedback can hurt your price, and you have to factor in fees.

You could check people's want lists (like mine, hint) and message them with what you have. Sell to them quick and easy, and then put the remainder up as a lot.

Congrats on the mortgage too! I'm on pace for 47. But that's solo; if the girlfriend moved in it would get obliterated.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:09:57 PM »

I echo everyone else... eBay as last option. I don't say avoid eBay... I'm just saying last option because:

With the current economy, you won't get that much as one lot.
eBay fees + Paypal fees = not that much in your pocket.

So, try to make a list of what you have and post a "for sell list" and look at the want list people have so you will be able to sell 3, 5 or even 10 figs at the time at a reasonable cost (and avoiding eBay fees...) so a win-win situation between you are your buyer.

Also, seeing a part of your collection going every week will be less a shock, tan selling it in one lot.

I'm still looking for some complete 1983 figs (like breaker, stalker, RnR, flash...) :shifty:

Martin

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 09:00:19 AM »

I have TF Outback and Psyche-Out frm Belgium as well as a carded Belgian Ozone and one of the Mega-Marine monsters.

How much did you want for them?

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 01:05:49 PM »

My wife has talked me out of it - so nothing is for sale.

I think I'd have to try and sell it all (or most of it) at once.  Otherwise, I would start to regret selling what Id already sold.

Paul

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »

I think I'd have to try and sell it all (or most of it) at once.  Otherwise, I would start to regret selling what Id already sold.

Paul

That's a good call. You can always make more money but it's hard to replace your Joes.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 02:14:57 PM »

Paul

That's a heck of a wife.  Hope I find one like that  ;D
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!