JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: How many watched Resolute again...  (Read 6268 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: How many watched Resolute again...
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 05:29:57 PM »

I bought Resolute last weekend and watched it for the first time ever (as I refused to see it online, because I wanted to be surprised).

An hour it lasted and what an amazing hour it was. Absolutely worth paying 17$ for it. Thanks for the great posts guys, it's what made me want to watch it in the end.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
2 + 2 = 22

condor knight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hjlcollectibles.com
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 08:59:06 AM »

I have watched it 5 times and I still will watch it more since it is how g i joe for adults should be.
Come visit my store at
http://www.hjlcollectibles.com

My email via the site:
hal@hjlcollectibles.com

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 09:09:42 AM »

I have to agree.  This was clearly a nod to the older fans.  I talked to Ken Lashley (who worked on some of the designs) and told him I liked Duke.  He was surprised and said he just looked like regular military - which is I all I wanted. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I didn't feel the same about Stalker.

To be honest, I wasn't too much of a fan of the original series, it was the comics that got me into Joes and kept me there.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 12:24:38 PM »

Upon watching it a second time with my friends yesterday, we noticed that the Joe helicopters resembled a lot the Retaliator, the humvees the Night Ops, and the Joe jet fighters litteraly were Eagle Storm.

Anyone noticed other Joeverse vehicle similarities?
2 + 2 = 22

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »

I have since loaned my copy of Resolute out several times, twice to people who aren't even Joe fans, and everyone has come back raving about it.  My friend Ty was kind of skeptical, but he brought my copy back to me, handed it to me, and said, "Dude, Snake Eyes is a BAD mother @%#$!@!!!!"  If it's something non-Joe fans can enjoy, then I find it greatly successful.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"
I have since loaned my copy of Resolute out several times, twice to people who aren't even Joe fans, and everyone has come back raving about it.  My friend Ty was kind of skeptical, but he brought my copy back to me, handed it to me, and said, "Dude, Snake Eyes is a BAD mother @%#$!@!!!!"  If it's something non-Joe fans can enjoy, then I find it greatly successful.

Bingo, that's exactly what I think now. I read a few complaints discrediting this animation but when watching it, there was never a doubt in my mind that this is not the Joe I grew up with and that's the way it was going to remain until the last 58th minute of it. It has a lot of give and take I would say. More mature on the blood, bullets and characters getting killed (if we compare with the previous shows only) and a bit less mature on some dialogues and character behaviours, agreed. I'm rather glad it took a new approach, and glad a few of us may not have liked it as much. For every Joe fan that didn't like it there's always a good chance that a non Joe fan did.

It could've been a cooking show with people dressed up as Joes. To people who don't know about Joe, who cares if they look like military cooks, as long as the recipes are good, and it's entertaining. OKay, yeah Joes and cooking  :lol: right.

If we long for what we grew up with, then thankfully there's always the good old Sunbow and DIC shows, and the comic books that we can turn to. The old memories are what supposedly brought the fans together in the first place, so the second cannot undo the first one - Yo-Jack!
2 + 2 = 22

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 04:48:25 PM »

It's apples and oranges. The characters in the 80's cartoon were are lovable good ol' boys who seemingly had no awareness of the dire situations they were in. It was a fantastic Saturday morning cartoon that had a pair of LONG seasons to devote to fleshing out each and every character to sell his/her action figure.

The Resolute cartoon was an excuse to deliver a bad-ass cartoon intended for an older audience without pulling any punches. There simply wasn't time to fully develop everyone on the show.

I personally believe Resolute to be the finest G.I.Joe cartoon ever made, but still have fond memories of the old toon and its hilarious characters/caricatures.

... as an aside, I found Hama's endless flip-flopping of loyalties and brainwashings and retcons tiresome. Larry's a fantastic writer but not without flaws. Storm Shadow's changing of loyalties in the comics did not make him a complex character, just an inconsistent one.