JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Where can I find Rit dye?  (Read 16294 times)

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find Rit dye?
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 12:03:33 AM »

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 12:46:41 AM »

I saw it 2 years ago, when my Wallmart had a fabric section. I guess I should find another Wallmart with a fabric section... Langelier?

Carrefour Langelier yes. And It would be with the domestic cleaning products, not in the fabric section. Interesting to note, the Rit Dye used to be in the artscrafts or the fabric section, now that I remember, before it got moved to the section in which I saw it the last time.
2 + 2 = 22

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 08:40:33 AM »

Rit dye can be found in most Zellers stores, near the yarn.

Micheals craft store also carries a larger selection in colour then Zellers but it costs a bit more.

Black is easiest to work with. You can only take a plastic darker.

Not all plastic on a figure is the same. Quite often the upper legs and lower legs won't match so depending on who / what you do you should be prepared to hand paint the difference.

I've never had much luck with yellow rit dye, but that might be due to me using an old dye pot that has done lots of black / brown / red.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »

Has anyone tried RIT dye with vehicle parts?  Are they hard enough (outside of rubber and soft plastic of course).

Also, just checking, but someone said it always has to be a dye job from light to dark?  So I can't dye something from say olive green to yellow?

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »

Has anyone tried RIT dye with vehicle parts?  Are they hard enough (outside of rubber and soft plastic of course).

Also, just checking, but someone said it always has to be a dye job from light to dark?  So I can't dye something from say olive green to yellow?

Vehicle parts don't dye easily. I've been doing a set of treads for the newer hiss tank for a while now. I keep taking them a bit darker, but it's not easy.

Always light to dark.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 11:51:28 AM »

I just saw the Stealth parachute figure fro GIJCC.

If anyone is doing a black dye jon you might want to throw a parachute figure from the movie line. Easy custom to make.  ;)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »

I was at the Walmart in Carrefour Langelier today, and I asked staff to reconfirm the status of Rit Dye availability and this is what she answered:

"Rit Dye will become very hard to find. Our store stopped receiving any for a long while now...".

Oddly enough, since last time I visited the store, they changed part of the layout, and the domestic cleaning product section was moved again, but no traces of Rit Dye anymore...It's gone.

2 + 2 = 22

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »

I was at the Walmart in Carrefour Langelier today, and I asked staff to reconfirm the status of Rit Dye availability and this is what she answered:

"Rit Dye will become very hard to find. Our store stopped receiving any for a long while now...".

Oddly enough, since last time I visited the store, they changed part of the layout, and the domestic cleaning product section was moved again, but no traces of Rit Dye anymore...It's gone.

You beat me posting. I was at Langelier Sunday... and got the same answer. Looks like I will have to add Black Rit dy to my want...

joss789

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »

At least, you got an answer!  At my local Walmart, no ones seems to know what is Rit Dye.
I found some colors at Zellers and tons of black:)
I have all my stuff, i should be able to try this next week.
www.canadianjoecon.com

THE LARGEST SELECTION OF JOE ITEMS IN CANADA!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »

I am literally doing a dye job as I type this. I've found a few more things:

1) The rockets on the Ghost Hawk 2 do not take to dye. I've seen this a few times in the past on some figures and vehicles.

2) The new G.I. Joe movie figures don't take to dye either, or at least not Royal Blue. I wanted to take a Cobra Parachute figure and dye him a darker shade of Blue. Nothing took the dye at all. I'm use to legs legs and arms going darker then the bodies of figures, but nothing at all took. Then again nothing took to the Royal Blue dye, not even chrome and chrome LOVES rit dye.

3) Transformers are a total mix bag. I bought a spare transformers generations thundercracker and wanted to dye him black to make a Skywarp and I'm having some interesting results. The silver body looks bronze, some of the parts went nice and black and others are not as black as I would like. Maybe I'll take pictures later.

Just remember, it's easy to warp plastic when you do this. The best results I've had is boil the water in a large pot, turn the burner to a low setting, let the water cool a bit, then add the dye. If you add the dye while the water is still heating you might have the water boil over. It happened to me last year when working on the Joe Canuck stuff. It was a HUGE mess.

That and keep your parts moving. You don't want a full pot with pieces pressed to the bottom of the pot. Also, buy some latex gloves.  ;)

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »

At least, you got an answer!  At my local Walmart, no ones seems to know what is Rit Dye.
I found some colors at Zellers and tons of black:)
I have all my stuff, i should be able to try this next week.

I only found blue at Zellers. I'm also doing some tests this week  ;D

So, if tests are good, I might ask you for Black.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »

I am literally doing a dye job as I type this. I've found a few more things:

1) The rockets on the Ghost Hawk 2 do not take to dye. I've seen this a few times in the past on some figures and vehicles.

2) The new G.I. Joe movie figures don't take to dye either, or at least not Royal Blue. I wanted to take a Cobra Parachute figure and dye him a darker shade of Blue. Nothing took the dye at all. I'm use to legs legs and arms going darker then the bodies of figures, but nothing at all took. Then again nothing took to the Royal Blue dye, not even chrome and chrome LOVES rit dye.

3) Transformers are a total mix bag. I bought a spare transformers generations thundercracker and wanted to dye him black to make a Skywarp and I'm having some interesting results. The silver body looks bronze, some of the parts went nice and black and others are not as black as I would like. Maybe I'll take pictures later.

Just remember, it's easy to warp plastic when you do this. The best results I've had is boil the water in a large pot, turn the burner to a low setting, let the water cool a bit, then add the dye. If you add the dye while the water is still heating you might have the water boil over. It happened to me last year when working on the Joe Canuck stuff. It was a HUGE mess.

That and keep your parts moving. You don't want a full pot with pieces pressed to the bottom of the pot. Also, buy some latex gloves.  ;)

I can't argue with you since you have so much experience with dye. But, I did a lot of reading. And from my understanding, washing the parts with acetone before the dye process start and adding a little bit of acetone in the mixture should help.

My SNAKE parts are ready! I just need some free time!