JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Sad news for the GI Joe community  (Read 186 times)

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
Sad news for the GI Joe community
« on: May 13, 2024, 06:40:24 PM »

The GI Joe community is one of the smallest collecting community if you compare it with Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers, ...

We already lost YoJoe.com, now YouTubers are fighting at each others. Saddly, Canadians are involved:

1. A Canadian compagny bought YoJoe to almost close it.

2. Canadian Michael Mercy is fighting against RetroBlasting for an AirWolf Kickstarter project in which he wasn't involved.

3. Canadian Viper Island is filling complaints against Sh4rk, 3POA for copyright issues on YouTube.

No one wins... it's sad.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 06:58:26 PM by martin-montreal »

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
Re: Sad news for the GI Joe community
« Reply #1 on: Today at 06:10:13 AM »

Yeah it is strange how things are playing out right now in the community (Youtube especially).

My thoughts on the topics are:

1 - As shitty as it is, that is what business does.  The company that bought YoJoe.com clearly didn't do it's homework on the site and just saw an opportunity.  However if they had done their homework they would have realized that it probably wasn't a good buy.  However it is their business so they can take the loss, just sad that it will take down a beloved Joe site with it.   At least there is still 3D Joes as a visual resource.

2.  Michael Mercy has some great content and I have enjoyed a bunch of his videos over the years.  Retroblasting seems like a deeply unhappy person who uses his channel to spread his opinion in negative ways.  I have only ever seen a couple of his videos and the time he and Scott Nietlich (Toyguru) had a debate on GeekDadLife.   During that video he came across as fairly unlikeable and bitter, which is saying something when you are in the same video as Scott Nietlich who is also not well liked.

3.  I have watched a couple of Viper Island videos over the past couple of years.  I thought he was a good channel, but having seen the drama around his channel lately my opinion has changed.   It's kind of the same situation with Retroblasting/ToyGuru.   I think the 3POA channel is way too negative.  I have tried to watch a couple videos but each time I have to tap out because it seems like they don't even like collecting toys, but rather they just want to go on and bash people/companies and claim they are just being "honest."  Others like A Toy Kinda Mood and The Full Force have also had issues with Viper Island and seeing the evidence of what they claim VI has been doing makes it clear that the guy is, at the least, shady since those two channels are hardly known for being bad faith actors.   That has made it easy for me to avoid VI because those kind of actions are crap moves and not worth supporting.