JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Joe Meet Etiquette 101 - for first timers  (Read 5867 times)

Bandalero

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Joe Meet Etiquette 101 - for first timers
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »

K.B. suggested it and hopefully it will help a few of us newbies get a better idea about what to do at the Joe Meet.  Only recently I went to my first Toy Show as a "warm up" for this one, so there's a few things I'd like to know:

1. How many items are we allowed to give Larry Hama to sign? (Mike answered it in another thread - limit of 2)

2. Are we allowed to trade our items to vendors for products they have on sale or is it strictly purchase-only?

3. Can you bargain?

4. Will we be going to a bar/resturaunt for some drinks/eats?  Gotta reserve some $ for that

5. Do you have to sign up for any of the events?  Speed painting, Xbox wrestling?

Here's another:

6. For rummaging through the bins do you have to line up to take turns or first come first serve?  I felt guilty yesterday picking out all the Stinger Drivers when these two dudes were behind me watching, so I gave them one of my Stinger Drivers.  Since there's lots of people all looking for the same product is there a time-limit on how long you get to go through the bins?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:18:07 PM by Bandalero »

K.B.

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Meet Etiquette 101 - for first timers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:11:58 PM »

Thanks for starting this one up.

7) Are we able to get a photo with Larry Hama

8)Would I be able to get a sketch from Mr. Hama to add to my sketchbook?
(don't forget the man can also draw folks)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:49:13 PM by K.B. »

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 02:08:39 PM »

K.B, could you edit your post to make yours questions 7 and 8? That way people can add questions to the list.

Bandy:

2&3) That's always been up to the vendor. Some are just unloading, others have wants of their own. The only thing you can't do is sell items unless you are a vendor. But, if you have something some guy wants, and a vendor has something you want, you can ask that guy to buy it for you in exchange for your item. As long as the only people receiving money for goods are the vendors, it's okay.

4) Groups of people tend to end up in different spots after the meet. It's up to you to make plans during the day. Odds are you'll find someone that would be interested in joining you, so it's a good idea to keep some money aside for eats.

5) Last year there were sign ups. It's safe to assume there will be again.

6) Because this is a Joe-specific event, there are almost as many bins as there are collectors. You probably won't have to worry about lines for specific items. However, there is the free table, and everyone should have a fair shot at it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Updated!

K.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »

9)What items are usually on the free table and how can we contribute?

savageplay

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://savageplay.spaces.live.com/Photos/
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 03:34:12 PM »

one thing i thought about for the free table, was maybe everyone should try and give the kids first shots? maybe the first hour of it being open is only for kids??? Just a suggestion.

the free bins rocked last year, i basically got everything to make my cobra mountain (which i have been lazy and STILL haven't fully finished yet...just needs paintng & texturing now though)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »

Even though some are answered, I'm going to reply to each one anyway.  :spidey:Would I be able to get a sketch from Mr. Hama to add to my sketchbook?[/quote]

Again, that would be up to Mr. Hama. I asked him about this in our emails, and his basic reply was that he gives preference to book signing, and fits in the sketches whenever. I'm pretty sure he has a small fee for such things - as do most artists. With all the sketches that show up on ebay - you can't blame him for not wanting to do any if he decides not to. Again, we won't know until that show. I will email him with some of these questions and post his actual answers if time permits. He's a busy man right now - we're really lucky to be getting him!

Quote from: "K.B."
9)What items are usually on the free table and how can we contribute?

Last year there were figures, vehicles, parts, trading card game packs, sealed single pack figures and Tonka toy items. This year - who knows! If you have items you'd like to donate to the "Freebie Table", bring them to the side door before the event and we'll take them from you and add them. Please do NOT bring garbage or dirty toys. These should just be items that are of no use to you anymore.

As for kids getting "first shot". That's almost impossible to ensure. When the doors opened last year - alot of people made a mad dash to the freebie items. Common sense as in the answer to #6 would still apply.

viperlord

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 05:34:05 PM »

While it's impossible to enforce, I think it would be a nice guesture to not take all the good stuff off the free table on your first pass.  Leave a little something for the next guy (Or hopefully kid) that comes by.

That's not to say don't take goodies (Lord knows I take my share every year. . .), just don't strip all the good stuff off before everybody else gets a shot.
Me too!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »

As for the freebie table: I have no desire to contribute to it if grown adults can't act in a civilized manner.   I have no problems giving away stuff to kids but there has to be a better way.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:37:27 PM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 08:16:39 PM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
As for the freebie table: I have no desire to contribute to it if grown adults can't act in a cilvilized manner.   I have no problems giving away stuff to kids but there has to be a better way.

Well, I know VL brought a case of single pack Joes for the freebie table last year, and someone took 95% of it for themselves. This year, should anyone want to do that again - the "girls" at the front table will hand one to each kid that comes in.

That would ensure no one takes everything for themselves.

K.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »

Well, I know VL brought a case of single pack Joes for the freebie table last year, and someone took 95% of it for themselves.

Wow...that really happened? Thats actually pretty low.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 07:25:05 PM »

At past shows I've actually handed out figs. and items that I thought kids would enjoy directly to the kids that come by my table.  I found this to be the best way to ensure the kids get what is intended for them.  If you don't mind who gets what then the freebie table is the way to go.  At this meet I may do both.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 08:21:59 PM »

Quote from: "K.B."
Well, I know VL brought a case of single pack Joes for the freebie table last year, and someone took 95% of it for themselves.

Wow...that really happened? Thats actually pretty low.

A dealer no less.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.